iPhone Carrier Update: Should you Download the Update?

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiPhone Carrier Update: Should you Download the Update?

iPhone users in the US might have got the following message after connecting their iPhone to iTunes in the last day or two. If you have a jailbroken iPhone and/or an unlocked iPhone then you might have asked yourself the question: Should I download the update or ignore it? Before...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Mario
    Mario Posts: 101
    via Wordpress

Wow, I just run the update of the carrier settings and it took 2 seconds... literally!! Would love to see the iPhone updates as smooth and fast as this one.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Hey Mario,

This was just update of carrier settings.

So if you meant firmware updates when you referred to iPhone updates, then that's wishful thinking :)

But to be fair to Apple, the firmware updates are generally very smooth if you haven't hacked your iPhone just that they are time consuming.

• iPhone 3G in Switzerland
    via Wordpress

Hi,

I'm from Switzerland, running two jailbreaked iphone 3G on Orange Networks ...

FW 2.2.1 - BB 02.28.00 ( BB 02.28.00 to be able to use yellowsnow if needed in the future )

No yellowsnow has both are legally activated

Every time after a jailbreak of one of my iphone, i get this update message wen connecting to itunes ....

I always made it and never had some issues with jailbreak or unlock..

Both of my iphones 3G are well working with all services ( voicebox, data plan, ect ) working well.

boom

• Ted
    Ted Posts: 35
    via Wordpress

is it only 3G phones that get this carrier update? i didnt get it...

• MO
    MO Posts: 132
    via Wordpress

just did the carrier update on a refurb 16G iphone 3G that I just got for my wife. took 2 seconds. Then proceeded to upgrade to firmware 2.2 (not 2.2.1) and jailbreak using QuickPwn 2.2. Went without a hitch.

• bastian gatten
    bastian gatten Posts: 43
    via Wordpress

Is this kinda like T-Mobiles service where you use your wireless router to make phone calls instead of your cell tower? Or do you have to buy some special box from att to get this to work?

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Hey Bastian,

It appears to be a special device, Gizmodo had also published a photo of the
    device couple of weeks back:
    http://i.gizmodo.com/5140307/the-3g-microcell-brings-an-att-cell-tower-into-your-home

• pedro
    pedro Posts: 29
    via Wordpress

ted-
    this is for all iphones. i have an original 4gb. and just ran the update. very quick

• iktikt
    iktikt Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

This is a secret BASEBAND update which will RELOCK your pwned iphone 3g.
    They fooled me, thanks a lot.

The baseband is the numbers where it says "modem firmware" in the settings. For yellowsn0w to work (3g unlock) it must be .28 Mine was. I clicked yes on the "carrier update" and now it is .30 Correct, they updated the firmware without disclosing thats what the update does.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Hey iktikt,

This is the carrier update and not the firmware update so it couldn't have
    upgraded your iPhone's baseband. You might have selected yes to update your
    iPhone's firmware which resulted in the issue you have reported.

Please can you tell us the size of the update after you clicked yes, it will
    tell us if it was a firmware update or the carrier update.

• Iti
    Iti Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

This question will have been asked many times, but I shall ask it again as someone who just wants their iphone to work on Orange.

I upgraded to 2.2.1 and now the phone will not allow me to use a turbosim to unlock the phone, i have been told there is no software to help me unlock the phone.

To be clear I just want to put an Orange SIM in my iphone and use as a phone.

Could you someone tell me a) if this is true b) how long until there is a fix

Thanks

• Metsoul
    Metsoul Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

try to hold the lock and home button for 10 or more seconds. when the phone shuts off keep holding the home button even though nothing is happening. do this for around 30 sec. that way you will force the iphone to reboot on service mode. you'll have to do a restore or update then.

• REEDY
    REEDY Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I need help ppl... Do i need to activate my JB 3g with tmobile even if I already have the g1 data plan

• MSP
    MSP Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Hello everyone, I had some problems, and i used quickpwn 2.2 to get my simcard working by it. becouse my turbo sim started to dont work, everything was fine, but at end it started rebooting, now i can make manual restore ( if 2.2 it comes with 5error, and with over (over error)

and i`m scare to make thems update 2.2.1 when i cant unlock my sim ? without turbo sim? can anyone help me?

contact me pls msperis@hotmail.com

• confusediphone
    confusediphone Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

er guys if i may ask i have a 2.2.1 jailbroken 3g usin a etisalat sim but the bar says no sirvice will this help me bring back etisclat carrier on ma iphone? ho and plz reply back

• confusediphone
    via Wordpress

yo i had the same problem before but with no turbo sim so if u have an jailbroken iphone dont i say again NEVER UPDATE UR IPHONE !!!!!!!! unless u have laegal iphone unlocked! by apple

i say again for those who dont understand
    never update ur iphone if u have a jailbroken iphone!!

• Unsatisfied Customer.
    via Wordpress

I just downloaded the carrier firmware and restore it all over again. BTW, I am currently using the unlocked phone but I use the AT&T wireless service. So after I finished the updating and everything, it says Iphone Activated. This gives me a big creep. I wonder if the AT&T will charge me extra 30 dollars per month for using the iPhone that isn't purchased with my plan from the AT&T.

Please Reply.

• xxx
    xxx Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

this is a waste of time.

the question raised is never been answered !!! frustrating reading this nonsense comments!

QUESTION:

Should you update your iPhone Carrier setting if u already unlocked it with any programs ???

the

ANSWER should be actually.

YES or NO!!!!

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

No, its not required.

But there is no harm in updating the carrier settings if you have unlocked your iPhone.

• confusediphone
    via Wordpress

I have a 2.2.1 3 g jailbroken when I. Put ma iPhone it dosent show the carrier update? That's question 1 when or if I updaet ma carrier does it re-lock ms iPhone? Question 2

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

The carrier update seems to be available only for users in the US.

Updating carrier settings won't lock your iPhone.

• gayak
    gayak Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

i have a 3g jailbroken and yellosn0w unlock and i just did the carrier update a few minutes ago and ya, it went smoothly, the whole 2 seconds. then of course i checked my modem firmware it's still 02.28.00. i didn't see any changes. well hopefully, my modem f/w stays that way. it would suck if after i rebooted it relocked my iphone.

• Don V
    Don V Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Just FYI -
    I live in a fringe area, and while my connectivity to AT&T has always been tenuous, it did work.

I applied this "carrier update" on my 3G and now my phone NEVER gets signal here at home. It still works fine when I get closer to better reception area, but my phone is now worthless at home.

Take it FWIW - don't know what it's supposed to have improved, but for me it was a bad move.

Is there a way to back out or downgrade this component? Knowing Apple, I a guessing "no"

PS - the new iTunes sucks as well - there's about a billion things trying to access the Internet now, and blocking them makes a sync fail. I have not looked closely, but it appears to be components from the MobileME garbage that Apple pushes on MS users....

PPS - speaking of bloat - this site could use a few more dozen background scripts per page

• Eune
    Eune Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

This is exactly what I've been looking for; A site that has the scoop on all the 'what not's' about iphone updates, and whether or not they have an effect on a jailbroken or unlocked iphone.

props to the developer(s), and those who run the boards.

• walid
    walid Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

Hello
    I am from Lebanon, my iphone in already crack so i cannot update it, but my problem is my little blother delete cydia from my phone, can you help me to reinstall it ?
    i checked installer and itune store and i didn't find it...

any help please my mail is : willylb@gmail.com

Thank you

• Patrick
    Patrick Posts: 124
    via Wordpress

Just Quickpwned my sister's phone, and later got the carrier update message. Just went out on a limb and updated. Like others said took less than 5 seconds, and did not affect the jailbreak.

• karsten
    karsten Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

hello i have just bought the iphone 3g 8g it was jailbroken/unlocked. i downloaded new software off itunes and its seems to have locked my phone off. the only screens i get are connect to itunes and emgencey calls

if anyone can help please email
    karsten_carter@yahoo.co.uk

• george
    george Posts: 88
    via Wordpress

I was locked into an exorbitant at&t 18 mth contract with my iPhone. After the contract was up i could not get the unlock code from them even though the phone was mine. I eventually unlocked my iPhone at http://unlockiphone4free.blogspot.com/ I wish id bought an itouch and stuck with my cell phone

• KRoy
    KRoy Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

hello i have an iphone 3g with the version 2.0 and a firmware 01.45.00 must be very old version. can i still jailbreak it and keep the iphone unlock?

does anyone tell me how to do it?

• Vanessa
    Vanessa Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Guys Im freaking out... I had just purchase a hack iphone from a friend of mine, and I wasn't famliar with the upgrading version, so i plug in my iphone to my computer and downloaded the new version, I quickly notice that some app's were deleted, so i restored it, and now i have lost all the data on the phone, and itunes doesn't let me do anything else because it says the SIM card is not supported(something like that).....What can I do???? Please help me!!!!