Bad News: Jailbreak App - Crackulous that Strips Copy Protection from iPhone Apps Released

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageBad News: Jailbreak App - Crackulous that Strips Copy Protection from iPhone Apps Released

A group of crackers had claimed to have hacked Apple's DRM on Sega's Super Money Ball for the iPhone and many more iPhone games few months back. We never saw that coming as Apple's FairPlay DRM has been used for so many years to protect content sold on iTunes stores....

Read the full story here

Comments

• 1hihum
    1hihum Posts: 15
    via Wordpress

I agree that it will have a very negative effect on new app development. I think that apple and developers have their work cut out for them. I hope they consider doing a trial period for new apps to give people a chance to try the app before they but it. I know it will not stop many people from using tools such as this, but it may deter some who would use it just to see I'd they are going to like an app before shelling out money for it.

• MWH
    MWH Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Do you really condone piracy as you stated twice in the article?

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Hey MWH,

The first was in reference to our previous post.

• GeO
    GeO Posts: 24
    via Wordpress

Yeah they probably meant to say something else. Ha ha

• Paul
    Paul Posts: 239
    via Wordpress

I think you meat to say you "don't" condone Piracy

• GeO
    via Wordpress

It really is a shame because this will probably mean a real tightening of security with apple and a crack-down on jail breakers D:

• Dazzer
    Dazzer Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Definition of conde from Wiktionary: To forgive, excuse or overlook (something); To allow, accept or permit (something);

• Dazzer
    Dazzer Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Or even "condone" :(

• GeO
    via Wordpress

well, they usually make the "lite" apps to fulfill that purpose.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Hey Folks,

My bad, I have corrected the post. Of course, we don't condone piracy.

Thanks for highlighting the error :)

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Even if the apps don't have lite versions, it doesn't mean they can be cracked.

There is an interesting article over at CNET of how piracy forced an iPhone developer to put ads in his iPhone game:
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10142318-83.html

It is actually surprising that Apple did not address the issue when it was first reported by making the copy protection stronger in subsequent firmware updates.

Lets hope Apple addresses this issue soon.

• dave
    dave Posts: 389
    via Wordpress

So then just to clarify, in TWO seperate posts iPhoneHacks has indeed said that they do "condone any type of piracy" (as confirmed in response to MWH). Why then do you contradict yourselves in the same post by saying that this was "crossing the line"?

Seriously though, were you hung over when you wrote this or were you intentionaly being vague and contradictory so as to confuse the reader and not have to actually take a direct stance on this issue? hmmm.

Just in case you don't actually understand the meaning of the word condone here it is from dictionary.com

con·done (kən-dōn') Pronunciation Key
    tr.v. con·doned, con·don·ing, con·dones
    To overlook, forgive, or disregard (an offense) without protest or censure. See Synonyms at forgive

• Jonny H
    Jonny H Posts: 47
    via Wordpress

I have a friend who uses ****, which is basically the same thing. I know that he knows it's wrong since it's really the same as stealing. These apps were not meant to be shared and distributed for free at all. Apps like this are going to ruin everything.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Hey dave,

I have just corrected the post.

I believe the title of the post says it all.

Thanks for highlighting the error.

• shane blyth
    shane blyth Posts: 25
    via Wordpress

apps are so cheap often too cheap on the iphone lots of developers struggle and there is so much competition this sort of thing could tip a few developers over the edge so they throw the towel in on the iphone

• Asdf
    Asdf Posts: 37
    via Wordpress

this has been going on for years with mac and PC. what makes iphone so different? I like the idea of this. Why? I recently spent 10 dollars on an app to send and recieve pics on my phone. well I buy the app and I now have to search for 2 weeks just to find the configuration to get it to work, which I and quite a few others have yet to find for our ATT phones. so hey. Now I know that I no longer have to pay for shitty apps. If I like it I will purchase full versions, but for now Im downloading for free

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Its unreasonable to crack other iPhone apps and deprive iPhone developers of revenue because you had a bad experience with one iPhone app. There are tons of great iPhone apps.

I think one way to reduce the likelihood of downloading a useless iPhone app is reading reviews on the App Store or various other online resources.

Instead of being accountable for your actions (which was downloading a useless app) you are making some other iPhone developer accountable for it.

Its just wrong!!!

• RDB
    RDB Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

I think that if they wanted to stop people in canada specifically from cracking apps then they should fix the issue with the itunes gift cards. I'm not sure how many of you are aware of this but currently we can only purchase apps by credit card, we cannot use itunes gift cards or paypal. Seeing as how i do not have a credit card ( I believe you should only spend the money you have) it kind of leaves me up **** creak without a paddle. So, you want to stop piracy? stop giving piracy a reason to exist and give everyone equal access to these apps. when they can pay for them they probably will.

• The Dude
    The Dude Posts: 17
    via Wordpress

I think anyone who puts the time and effort to make a great app and wants to make a little money on the side should be able to without having their work stolen from underneath them.

• Drew Schram
    Drew Schram Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I think its wrong to copy. but since Apple rejects and Deletes some apps, I believe those are the only ones u should used cracked. Like Netshare,Slasher,and Many more until Apple brings them back to the AppStore.

• _
    _ Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
  • Asdf
    via Wordpress

no Id rather make everyone else accountable for it. Piracy is an issue with everything not just iphone apps. too bad for the developers.

• Asdf
    via Wordpress

PS. isnt this an Iphone hack site? What about stealing the money from ATT by showing people how to unlock their phone and not having to use the ATT service?

• OiC
    OiC Posts: 10
    via Wordpress

Piracy in this form is obviously illegal. This gent by the name of Angel may likely face charges of conspiracy, or piracy charges directly. Developers of these Apps have their protection in place already, simply put, if I were a developer and heard of a threat such as this, I would report him to the proper authorities. Charges would more than likely be filed. This isn't the same as creating a audio cassette recorder, the intention of this program is to commit piracy. I can see legal action arising very soon.

• RDB
    RDB Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

Maybe you didn't understand what I was saying, the ONLY way you can purchase apps from the app store in Canada is with a credit card. I don't know if its possible to use your bank account as a direct source of income when buying from itunes in the states but other then that your comments makes no sense at all.

• Andre
    Andre Posts: 64
    via Wordpress

Piracy will always exist in all platforms (XBox, XBox360, PSP, PS1, 2 & 3 to a hacker it's part of life and a thrill to do, Jailbreaking or unlocking your iPhone is not piracy, this is a mobile phone and people want more from it (but this comes with a price for developers), other phones as standard allow you to have full themes installed by default, iPhone don't, the same goes for the Bluetooth profiles, they should all be in place by default I for one am looking forward to the Bluetooth app and will pay for it when released.

I do agree though that the majority of iPhone apps are cheap enough to buy and I have brought a good few apps and will continue to do so. Some should be cheaper for what they are, and some are just totally useless and should be free.

I do have a Jailbroken iPhone 3G and still purchase 3rd party apps for it because they add the features I want for my phone.

And for those who mentioned about the error in the blog, typo's happen and it's down to the reader to let the person know about it.

• Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

I completely agree with iPhonehacks on this one. It just makes me think, oh no, we were having such a good run with all the work on jailbreaking working in addition to the app store (I've got loads installed on my phone from Cydia and also the App Store).

I guess now I just hope people have the decency to respect developers and not use this app.

• Chris M.
    Chris M. Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

They finally got the price of software right! Let's continue to support the folks writing apps by purchasing through the app store!

• Jeff
    Jeff Posts: 126
    via Wordpress

It is not against the law to unlock a phone.

• Jeff
    Jeff Posts: 126
    via Wordpress

It is not against the law to unlock a phone.