Bad News: Jailbreak App - Crackulous that Strips Copy Protection from iPhone Apps Released

2»

Comments

• Nate
    Nate Posts: 58
    via Wordpress

People who use this stuff to steal the apps are seriously only going to cause damage. It's just like music, everyone wanted to steal it and rip off the artist so iTunes was created and so many people still "don't want to pay for it when it can be gotten free... Bands are rich anyways"... It's stuff like this that hurts everyone in the end. I have a jailbroken iPhone 3g and I JB it so I could customize it. Not so I could steal from developers and get things for free. I paid $15 for iReal sms because they worked hard and provided something great for the phone. They deserve the cash just as every developer does. So, here's the deal. If you want to rip people off and steal and be a cheap ass in this economy that's already hurting, go get a blackberry or a G1 and ruin those POS's. Don't ruin things for everyone. Read a review, and YOU decide if you want to spend the $$$. If you don't have the cash for it, then you shouldn't have it. But if you can't afford an app for $1.99, you probably shouldn't have an iPhone.

Pay for what you want. You wouldn't want money stolen from you... Right!?

• Nate
    Nate Posts: 58
    via Wordpress

Ok, so I retract my comment about getting a BB or G1. Just pay for your apps. that's the bottom line. And hey iPhoneHacks, can't they just take this crap out of Cydia and at least lower the chances of all of this?!

• B0rnT0Fight
    B0rnT0Fight Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

stop being fags! piracy has always existed and will always exist. For those that download illegal content are the same people that would never have paid for the app to begin with, piracy in some ways can even serve as a "try before buy", I have bought 4 apps in the past that I wasn't too happy about and wished they had "lite" versions.
    Cracking apps will NOT jeopardize future app development because people will still buy them if they are good.
    Just like people who download music will still go to the artist's concert.

• A Black Dude
    A Black Dude Posts: 167
    via Wordpress

buy a visa or american express gift card.

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 137
    via Wordpress

if your talking about swirlyMMS then at&t would have to enable MMS on the account which they will not do for the iphone service.

try telling them you dont have the iphone anymore and are using a BB or somthing..

• alyx
    alyx Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

yeah i guess everybody needs to relax. piracy has always been around for all the good and bad reasons. it's been part of the deal since we can remember, whether we agree with it or not, so don't act like it's some new sh*t in the garden.

i'm guessing a small price tag on most of apps could be the very reason iphone piracy will be kept in check. that and maybe it will "encourage" developers to release demo versions of their apps (not just some of them). i might be speaking for myself here, but i'm fed up with paying even .99 for apps or games that i test-run and then delete, because they do not deliver. no screenshot or review can substitute for the real thing which is a test drive. i also find it a bit discouraging having to pay for an app and discover two weeks later that the developer had a change of mind and decided to make it permanently free. not that it's a bad thing in itself to go free, it's just that - discouraging.

so, my point here is - it's "business as usual" and iphone could not be any different. what can be hacked or pirated, eventually will be. but you peepz should just chill out! go and support your devs, buy your apps, buy a new hardware - it's really gonna be all right :)

• Jim Harding
    Jim Harding Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

**** anybody? has been around for a long time

• RDB
    RDB Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

uhhh what? did you even ready my comments?

• RDB
    RDB Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

Id rather not have to go through an application process to buy a 99 cent app that i could possibly use once.

• Tristan (formerly TJ)
    via Wordpress

This is true, iTunes does unjustly require a credit card. Makes no sense actually, since usually people ask for a credit card in case you purchase a product and then don't pay, but on iTunes you must pay before you even receive the product, so they could have user accounts without CCs. I think Apple needs to open up iTunes to people that can only pay cash for the gift cards, and don't have a CC to open an account. Apple still makes the same amount of money, and may get more since then Teens would be able to buy gift cards rather than CDs when they go to Target.

The Crackulous App isn't inherently wrong, guys. Just like how Kazaa started out as a way to trade business documents and other open-source items, it all depends on the end user as to whether or not a program is lawful or not. To merely crack the protection on these apps is not unlawful. To do that and use it to steal them without paying in any way IS.

I will personally be using this app to evaluate some apps that don't have "Lite" versions. And, TBH, the whole "Lite" thing annoys the living hell out of me. Instead of offering stripped down functionality, offer a time limited demo. If the jailbreaking community can do this with their apps, the developers for the appstore can certainly do it too. I'm sick of looking at apps that I want to buy, but don't want to risk wasting money on since the reviews are always less then helpful.

• DEEZ NUTZ
    DEEZ NUTZ Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

THANKS CRACKULOUS!!!!!!!!!!! :) I LOVE THE APP!!!! HAHAHA APP STORE SUCKERS!!! LOL!

• anton
    anton Posts: 12
    via Wordpress

Im from estonia. Apple not allowed me purchase anything at all at itunes store. That includes mp3 and ofcourse apps. Even more - it does not allowed me even register myself to have and itunes store account. I have no other options than just use cracked apps. I totally dont mind pay some small fees for cool games or apps - but you know the reason why Im using crackulous:)

• Jeff
    Jeff Posts: 126
    via Wordpress

If you would have read asdf's foolishness above you would notice the response was intended for him. Ohh, and it is creek not creak. Besides that the Visa and American Express gift cards don't require you to go through an application process. You give them money, you are credited on a card that amount. Hence the term gift card

• A White Dude
    A White Dude Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

sounds fair enough

• Tim W
    Tim W Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

If Crackulous becomes a danger to dev teams everywhere, Wouldn't this make apple consider using the apparent 'kill switch' to render the Crackulous app useless.
    Personally, i like the fact that apps that are non apple compliant are made available via Cydia & Installer, these sites help make others aware of what the iphone can actually do. As everyone else, my Iphone 3G came tied to Apple, i researched Jailbreaking and went down that route. To rip off someone elses hard work has to be 'soul destroying' for the dev team and I for one intend to stick to appstore, cydia & installer and i'm not afraid to dig into my wages to pay for something that i want/use.

• Jason
    Jason Posts: 585
    via Wordpress

I have bought numerous apps and the ones I've downloaded for free would NEVER have been purchased. I was merely curious and wanted to check them out. This won't adversely effect a developer's ability to succeed in the app store. The percentage of people who jailbreak is too small to impact the revenue stream these developers receive.

• ivanmor
    ivanmor Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Hey RDB!

I am in the same boat, but found a work around, you know where you buy the itunes cards (same place I bought 2 before I realized, no apps were allowed, apps reason was the taxes are not the same, therefore they cant sell applications... bs! )

If you buy a pre-paid mastercard, they come in 25/50/75/100 demoninations and are totally useable on Itunes, so every couple weeks, instead of the dump itunes cards, I pick up a 50 dollar card, best part, if I find something online, I can use the same card, not just for Apps on the Istore!

Best of luck!

• Wurmie666@hotmail.com
    via Wordpress

Software piracy has existed since the inception of pay software, and while it has an effect on development, such as time invested in antipiracy, it has not stopped software development in the slightest. The most pirated software in the world is developed by one of the largest software developers in the world. And regardless of the fact that a good 70% of their installations are pirated, the continue to make money. Stopping piracy will never happen, the model for traditional commercial software distribution is flawed really. Charge for support, charge for interactive accounts that drive your software makeing it useless to copy it. There are plenty of methods to making money with software without resorting to limiting distribution. Most if my favorite iPhone applications also happen to be free and quite frankly, those companies still make money. If a developers software is being pirated on a level that effect ts the pocket book they need to look at their distribution model, rather than trying to thwart a couple devs for making it easier to get software that could be distributed in a money making manner.

• Robert
    Robert Posts: 146
    via Wordpress

It probably won't affect app sales because only around 2% of iphones are jail broken and probably even lower percent of people who will actually do it