Warning: iPhone firmware 2.2.1 Breaks Software Method to Unlock iPhone 3G

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageWarning: iPhone firmware 2.2.1 Breaks Software Method to Unlock iPhone 3G

Apple released iPhone firmware 2.2.1 yesterday which included minor bug fixes and improvements as per the release notes. However, it looks like there was another reason for releasing the latest firmware. The Dev Team who had warned against updating to the latest firmware has confirmed that iPhone firmware 2.2.1 breaks...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Ed
    Ed Posts: 110
    via Wordpress

Apple is starting to piss me off. Do they have nothing better to do then changing the baseband. Come on Apple eventually your going to have to unlock these phones anyway. Its our phone, we paid for them. FU for being such asses.

• ben
    ben Posts: 235
    via Wordpress

Why don't you settle down ed. You had a choice to purchase the phone, they didn't force you into using their products. If you don't like it, go get yourself a blackberry. They do these kinds of things for reasons that your tiny little brain will never understand.

• CHIACY
    CHIACY Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

is the official unlocked, jailbroken iphone 3g affected?

• ben
    via Wordpress

There is no "official" unlock or jailbreak. Apple does not support it.

• Dai
    Dai Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

i updated to 2.2.1 and now my phone is locked again and i can't use it !
    i tried to restore it to the previous firmwares but all of them don't work! what should i do, i am phoneless now

• visi
    visi Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

is there no solutions to restore my 3g iphone to the older version 2.2.0 ???? please reply to my mail if anyone have any solution to my request

• cvayas
    cvayas Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

DUDE! what part of DO NOT EVER UPDATE your iphone unless you are 150% sure it will work dont you get? Now youve gotta wait... for now, enjoy your iphone-touch.

• Preston
    Preston Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

So if we dumb a**es did do the update to 2.2.1..... we are stuck with it? We can not downgrade back to 2.2. If so how? Thanks for your help.

• snoop
    snoop Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

how do i down grade my firmware back to 2.2 because i upgraded it to 2.2.1

• confused
    confused Posts: 14
    via Wordpress

Just to make sure I have this straight. If we are just jailbroken on the iPhone 3G, but not unlocked (and don't care about unlocking), we are OK to upgrade to 2.2.1 and re-jailbreak? Gracias.

• visi
    visi Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

soon there will be solutions to jailbreak the v. 2.2.1 it will probably take some days...

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Even if you are looking to only jailbreak iPhone 3G and not unlock it, it is advisable to wait for the Dev team to release the updated versions of their PwnageTool and QuickPwn tools to jailbreak iPhone firmware 2.2.1 as the current version of the tools cannot jailbreak iPhone running firmware 2.2.1.

The Dev Team has mentioned that they will be releasing the updated version of the tools soon.

• TheChameleon
    TheChameleon Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I have a jailbroken iPhone 3G but don't care about unlocking it. I upgraded to the new firmware 2.2.1 and it seemed to break all of my jailbroken apps. I tried to downgrade my firmware to 2.2 but I get an error every time. So am I stuck with a non-jailbroken iPhone until winpwn or quickpwn is updated? Thanks for your help.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Hey TheChameleon,

Unfortunately, you will now have to wait for the Dev Team to release updated version of their PwnageTool and QuickPwn tools to jailbreak iPhone firmware 2.2.1.

We will let you know if there is a way to downgrade to iPhone firmware 2.2 to jailbreak it in the meantime.

• Notiq
    Notiq Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

...I remember having problems downgrading before, and I had to go back to an older version of iTunes for it to work.

• ben
    via Wordpress

You can downgrade the firmware, but not the baseband (which is what you unlockers need to be concerned about.) Unfortunately for you, once the baseband has been updated there is no going back. And while I fully suspect that the dev team will have this jailbroken in no time, it will likely be months (or never) before you see an unlock available. It took them several months to figure it out the first time and Apple has just completely eliminated the loophole that allowed them to achieve it. You unlockers who prematurely updated may want to start shopping for a new phone.

• j.a.rs@hotmail.co.uk
    via Wordpress

ive just got an iphone 2g that is jailbroken and unlocked on firmware 1.1.4 is there a way to upgrade to 2.2 and avoid the 2.2.1 update then i should be able to use quickpwn 2.2 to unlock it after

please help thank you!!!!!!!

• Ab
    Ab Posts: 13
    via Wordpress

Hi I can confirm that the turbo sim:
    GEVEY-3G-PLUS Beta Version for firmware 2.2
    www.gevey-3g.com does work with 2.2.1
    I use tmobile with 2.2.1, got it off ebay $7

• Alan
    Alan Posts: 46
    via Wordpress

Hi,
    The turbo sim i got from ebay for $7 unlocks the iphone 2.2.1, i use it with tmobile...
    Turbo sim details:
    GEVEY-3G-PLUS Beta Version for firmware 2.2
    www.gevey-3g.com

I know it say version 2.2 but it works with 2.2.1 also

AB.

• I Love iPhone 3G
    I Love iPhone 3G Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

Since I am not having problem with safari...so far... gonna forget about this updates.. coz i am very happy with my iPhone 3G unlocked using yellowsn0w...

• ip
    ip Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Is it possible to use a turbo sim ?

• fujitivo1do
    fujitivo1do Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Hey guys i just found a way to downgrade the new 2.2.1 firmware. I just did. I had to restore my phone last night and by mistake the new firmware was installed in my jail broken 3g. and this is what I did.
    download an older version of the firmware (2.0.1) for example, you also need the last version of quickpwn. once you have this open itunes and open quickpwn, and on itunes while hitting "Shift" click restore and look for the older firmware you downloaded; and while itunes is getting the info to get stared go to Quickpwn and run it with the same firmware you downloaded, BOTH PROGRAMS HAVE TO BE RUNNING AT THE SAME TIME. after this quickpwn is going to procced to jailbrake.

• CHIACY
    CHIACY Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I have an Italian set, unlockd by default. I jailbroke the phone. Now whether will 2.2.1 update lock my phone or just un-jailbreak?

• mamam@akjdlfajf.com
    via Wordpress

love this cat and mouse game...keeps dev team going...
    musclenerd gad bless you....waiting for your new yell0wsnow......

Michael Tahboub

• ct
    ct Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

but it won't downgrade the baseband... so you can't use the phone, right ?

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Yeah, it won't downgrade the baseband, so you will not be able to unlock it. But you will be able to use it with AT&T if you have a valid iPhone contract.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

As per Alan it is possible to use the turbo SIM mentioned above, however we don't recommend using it.

• Jon
    Jon Posts: 116
    via Wordpress

what is the latest on this ... i accidentally upgraded the firmware to 2.2.1 and modem baseband is now 02.30.03. Is there a cure for this yet?

• Jammerzz
    Jammerzz Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Hey Alan,
    So that turbo sim unlocks the 2.2.1? and can leave my iphone 3g okay to use with t mobile and cydia??

• Danette
    Danette Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Apple didn't sell the phones retail they sold them subsidized to use with the carrier they assigned it to..
    so NO. they don't owe you the right to unlock the phones. And you chose the phone knowing this fully..

So don't blame them. It was a risk and you took it.