Warning: iPhone firmware 2.2.1 Breaks Software Method to Unlock iPhone 3G

Comments

• Gyver
    Gyver Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Please explain steps in more detail... I have this problem now.

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 383
    via Wordpress

hello everybody ,i had done the jailbrake and unlock thing to my iphone with yellowsnow and it was working perfectly but than i have upgraded my iphone 3g to 2.2.1 and managed somehow to downgrade it to 2.2 and jailbrake it again.. but my modem firmware is still 02.30.03 from the previous firmware upgrade 2.2.1 .. (how) can i downgrade the modem firmware to 02.28 so i can successfully unlock my iphone 3g again ... will it work yellowsnow again on this modem firmware 02.30.03??? thanks in advance many thanks for the unlock tips

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Hey Alex,

Unfortunately, there is currently no way to downgrade the baseband from 02.30.03 to 02.28.00.

You will need to wait for the Dev team to unlock baseband 02.30.03 or magically figure out a way to downgrade the baseband.

• Razz
    Razz Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Hello, I have a brand new iPhone locked to Fido which has never been activated so it probably does not have Baseband 2.30.03. I have never connected this iPhone to iTunes. Can someone give me specific instructions on how I should activate it so that the baseband stays preserved and I can run yellowsn0w to unlock it. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• iPhone sucks!!!
    iPhone sucks!!! Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Hi, I have got my iPhone-3g accidently upgraded to 2.2.1. I wanted to get it unlcoked in near future. How can I do this?

• Johnny07778
    Johnny07778 Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

hi ,
    i just got bought a iphone from a friend, according to him, he sais it 3G but i don't no how to tell. anyway, am tryin to unlock or activate the phone cos i can get to the main page with the icons but i can't get my sim card to work with it. so wat do i need to do pls. am still new phone so pls help.

• Raphael
    Raphael Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

i like many other eager 'updating ppls' have upgraded to 2.2.1 without realizing its devastating result. . locking the iphone 3G i noe its not possible at the moment but plez find a solution soon .. . .=/ much thnks in advance. . .

• visi
    visi Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

turbo sim is that the best way to unlock the 3G iphone, better then software unlock ????

• aj
    aj Posts: 82
    via Wordpress

Turbo sims generally suck and are completely unrelliable so how you can recommend one over a software unlock beggars belief?

• AM
    AM Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

did the baseband downgraded also????

• J Valdes
    J Valdes Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

hey guys! as many as you i'm super bummed that i can't use my iphone - after upgrading without reading the WARNINGS.

i found this website that claims to have a software (for 29.99) that can unlock any iphone version including 2.2.1. has anyone used this type of software... i've been iphone-less for about 4weeks and i'm about to go crazy. desperation is starting to kick in, and just might try this sites product.

any advice before i give it a shot???

• Ricky
    Ricky Posts: 33
    via Wordpress

hi j valdes

i bought software from a site for 19.99 when 2.2 first came out. the software provided only jailbroke the firmware for 3g iphone and the unlock software was for iphone 2g. i think its a scam.

i've currently got 2.2.1 and im, using a turbosim until trhe dev team can unlock 2.2.1.

hopefully they will do it soon.

• J Valdes
    J Valdes Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

thanks for the reply Ricky!

i had a turbosim card and it was so useless! sometimes it would work and sometimes i had no reception what so ever. so right now i'm back to my old dash tmobile phone. which feels so weird after having the iphone for so long.

• James Moumeni
    James Moumeni Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Does anybody know if i can downgrade my modem firmware to 02.28.00 from 02.30.03?

When i got the phone it was band new in the box not open so is it still possible to downgrade?

please someone help!!!

• archangel24z
    archangel24z Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

hey, i got an atandt simcard,,am i also outta luck for upgradin my baseband???

• fymet
    fymet Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

fujitivo1do said in reply to IP...
    Hey guys i just found a way to downgrade the new 2.2.1 firmware. I just did. I had to restore my phone last night and by mistake the new firmware was installed in my jail broken 3g. and this is what I did.
    download an older version of the firmware (2.0.1) for example, you also need the last version of quickpwn. once you have this open itunes and open quickpwn, and on itunes while hitting "Shift" click restore and look for the older firmware you downloaded; and while itunes is getting the info to get stared go to Quickpwn and run it with the same firmware you downloaded, BOTH PROGRAMS HAVE TO BE RUNNING AT THE SAME TIME. after this quickpwn is going to procced to jailbrake.

• fymet
    fymet Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

Hello Preston : Do not be said try this you have nothing to lose but a lot to gain
    Hey guys i just found a way to downgrade the new 2.2.1 firmware. I just did. I had to restore my phone last night and by mistake the new firmware was installed in my jail broken 3g. and this is what I did.
    download an older version of the firmware (2.0.1) for example, you also need the last version of quickpwn. once you have this open itunes and open quickpwn, and on itunes while hitting "Shift" click restore and look for the older firmware you downloaded; and while itunes is getting the info to get stared go to Quickpwn and run it with the same firmware you downloaded, BOTH PROGRAMS HAVE TO BE RUNNING AT THE SAME TIME. after this quickpwn is going to procced to jailbrake wish you luck

• Jvaldes
    Jvaldes Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

from what i have read on the website blogs around the web.. there is noway to downgrade the baseband to 02.28.00, once you have upgraded to the 2.2.1... you're S.O.L (like me).

does anyone know if the DEV TEAM is anywhere near close to a new version of yellowsn0w for the 2.2.1???

• Zico
    Zico Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

I updated my 3G to 2.2.1 and the baseband has been updated and now my phone is locked .
    any one knows when The Dev Team will releasing a Software Method to Unlock iPhone 3G for firmware 2.2.1 ??

Plz let me know

• tereza
    tereza Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Hi Guys! i was so stupid to update My Iphone to 2.2.1 and a baseband 2.30.30,- and i did that couse i didnt have any idea about tha IPhone... now im safering and waiting for Dev Team to find the solution... i even get a turbo sim from England....- it is not working!! i downgrade it 2.2.1 to 2.2.,- but baseband stays the same- 2.30.30!! so nothing is working! So , maybe somebode knows when it is going to happen??? Best Regards, Terri.(terryfox622002@yahoo.com)

• sarri
    sarri Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I completely and totally screwed up my iPhone - can't even downgrade it to 2.2. or restore the 2.2.1 firmware with 02.28.00 baseband. So I'm stuck with the 02.30.03 baseband. Ew.

So is there any news if the Dev Team is working on updating YellowSn0w so it will work with firmware 2.2.1, baseband 2.30.03.?

Please help!

• lwiz
    lwiz Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

heyy i purchased an iphone 3g with the 2.2.1 firmware. Its locked to rogers while im with fido. So im just waiting for the new unlock to come out...would any body have an estimated guess of when this unlock is going to be released?

• Ernest Iyke
    Ernest Iyke Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I updated my iphone 3g from 2.2 to 2.2.1 from itunes, after updating, the phone refuses to start up, it's displaying a usb plug pointed to itunes on the screen of my iphone. I dont know what to do. pls help me. I love my iphone so much that i dont want to lose. pls help me. Thanks

• ERAD
    ERAD Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I upgraded and unlocked my iPhone 2g to firmware 2.2.1. Now everything works fine but the rightone is very low and during any conversation I can't hear the other side due to low volume . I tried the iclarified source in the installer for volume booster application but it doesn't show in the installer. Can any one give me a alternative way or help me fix it.

• bobby
    bobby Posts: 32
    via Wordpress

****...im confused
    that means i cant unlock my iphone??

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

iPhone firmware 2.2.1 update consists of the OS update as well as a modem firmware update (02.30.03).

Dev Team's software method to unlock iPhone 3G works only with modem firmware 02.28.00 which was bundled with iPhone firmware 2.2.

So if you want to unlock your iPhone 3G, you should preserve the baseband using PwnageTool which is only available for Macs.

If you have already upgraded to modem firmware 02.30.03 then currently there is no way to unlock your iPhone 3G.

This isn't applicable to 1st gen iPhone, you can use the latest tools to unlock it.

• burnok100
    burnok100 Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

hahahaha.. i just sold yesterday my iphone with 2.2.1 firmware, and 2.30.03 baseband... I have a friend who has this super kung fu software (i forgot what that $hit called) to unlock the phone. I Jailbroken the phone (using that software), worked fine (i can call home), installed those free apps i found over **** sites, attempted to unlock the phone... seems to worked fine...rebooted again the phone...and BAM !!!

i got my self an i-phone touch..!... it worried me sick...

then..I grab me a shirt, went to the mall and sold the phone/touch to some unsuspecting nerd... told the nerd that it got the latest cydia apps and all those BS sales pitch.. the nerd paid up front...

Got home... called my friend... and yelled at him..!

"you *#@*$* idiot..." i almost got killed by your super kung fu software...

he answered back... "dude... did'nt i told you to read the fine print..." it said.... APPLE OWNS YOUR A$$..AND YOU'LL NEVER GET AWAY WITH IT $HIT.."

HAHAHAHAHA.. it really happened.... Now i use my old phone... an ericsson... hehehehehehe

• imma
    imma Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

hello, any news if the dev team has released the updated version to unlock firmware 2.2.1 ? im desperate here :)

• rvalemania@gmail.com
    via Wordpress

I just did the same thing today, my iphone does not work anymore... I just want to use it as an Itouch and I cant. Did you already fix yours?

• rvalemania@gmail.com
    via Wordpress

Any news on this problem? I just updated my iphone today... have you found a way to unlock it?