Apple tells Copyright Office Jailbreaking iPhone is Illegal; Mozilla & Skype Support EFF's Request f

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
Apple tells Copyright Office Jailbreaking iPhone is Illegal; Mozilla & Skype Support EFF's Request for an Exemption to the DMCA

For the 2009 rulemaking, Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) has filed an exemption request with the U.S. Copyright Office to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) related to iPhone jailbreaking which allows iPhone owners to install iPhone apps that have not been approved on the App Store (due to various reasons)....

Read the full story here

Comments

• Josh
    Josh Posts: 265
    via Wordpress

Wow, the only way to get around Apple's MONOPOLY on apps is being threatened... assholes

• Chris
    Chris Posts: 736
    via Wordpress

I think it is not illegal, no matter what Apple tries to claim, for example if you buy a new care and want to change the Radio, the car company can't say you can't do that or that you'll void you warrant yon the remainder of the car. In addition, this would be like saying to someone that just bought a new computer that you can only install software purchased directly from the hardware manufacturer. Downloading firmware that has already been modified may be illegal, but using tools to modify firmware that you have downloaded (legally from Apple's site) yourself, how can it be illegal to mess around with files on your own computer or device? As long as you are not doing it to give copies to other people, the files reside on your computer and you have every right to modify files on your computer.

• geogo3r
    geogo3r Posts: 127
    via Wordpress

I can agree a little with apple, if a company makes money off of software that is technically against the copyright, apple can have a case whereas a group like the dev team who release their product for no cost should be fine because they aren't making money off of the process so apple really shouldn't have a problem with them.

• John Kim
    John Kim Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

Apple should just let go, hacking the iphone makes the device more appealing. You should restrict this, and I think people who are fanboys for apple should realize that it's a pretty evil corporation bent on world domination.

• roro
    roro Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

I would directly sell my iPhone if it's becoming illegal.

Apple are stupid from time to time, they block features from their phone, plus they block talented developers to implement these features.
    Stupid squared.

• Gohans
    Gohans Posts: 18
    via Wordpress

Legal or not legal... I will still F*ckbrake that b*tch up!!! Viva la iPhone Revolution!

Keep up freeing up those iphones from their jails!!!

• Jeff in Wisconsin
    via Wordpress

You know Apple would be able to sell multiple millions of phones if they would stop trying to be like AT&T. This monopoly dictating is not good is so going to shoot em in the foot.(cripple them) If they would just stick to what they do best which is make devices that work well with their software and let people choose the service they want for their telecommunications, this wouldn't be an issue. iPods are the class unto themselves. So is the iPhone when you consider the other wannabes.

• John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress

I bought 3 iPhone's I'll do what I want to. And if Apple don't like it we all can buy BlackBerries

• Lexi Bradford
    Lexi Bradford Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

Apple is merely protecting that nice little monopoly they set up for themselves in the form of the App Store. While this strategy may have worked with iTunes where you're dealing with artists that can't program, it can't possibly work with software developers who can create workarounds for pretty much anything. We can program anything we want for the Mac... why not the iPhone? It's just censorship in protection of a monopolistic revenue stream, pure and simple.

Free my phone! http://www.freeyourphone.org/

• Faz
    Faz Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Hold on, why should Apple not be allowed to hold onto their monopoly? They were the innovators after all, and should enjoy the fruits of their labour. There is plenty of choice out there - if you don't like it, don't use it - go get yourself a poor imitation.

OH YEAH baby, Apple will soon be the leader in what will become the new world order… (EVIL LAUGH to fade)

• ex-fanboy
    ex-fanboy Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Apple's arguement makes no sense. This would be like Microsoft not allowing non-Microsoft programs to run on their OS. Is running Firefox on XP a copyright violation? Uhm, I don't think so.

• Om
    Om Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I am very disturbed with apple, they are a very very creative and ingenious company and yet they have the nerve to stifle anyone else from having any creativity or freedom. Apple is a great company when they stick to what they do best, designing and creating software and hardware. When they get into trying to control what we can and cannot do...they fail, big time. A lot of people are afraid of Google's monopoly on the internet, but at least Google has never tried to come after us for being creative.

• iPhoneNinja
    iPhoneNinja Posts: 14
    via Wordpress

can't stop us won't stop us. There's millions of users and we will continue to overthrough apples attempts. If it wasn't for us there's be no app store ya digg?? What's the governent. Gonna do arrest all of us. Power in numbers iPhone revolution indeed.

• j katz
    j katz Posts: 11
    via Wordpress

its only illegal cause Apple isnt making money on it. Hey assholes, how about giving us copy and paste, mms and video like a $99 Mototola Q has and we wont need to jailbreak this thing to make it work like a normal smartphone.

• FER CANO
    FER CANO Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

I DISAGREE!!! WITH APPLE
    If apple doesnt want anyone else "IMPROVING" their software then they should come out with a bad ass software that doesnt need it! like mms, video recording, tattering, or even drinking a beer for fun; they should make it themselves....that way noone will make money out of their software by advertising!

• TechnoHunk
    TechnoHunk Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

So, if I buy a Sony DVD player, Sony would be within its rights to prohibit me from playing any Movies other than those produced by Sony. Interesting....

• tim
    tim Posts: 173
    via Wordpress

Apple should be thanking the Iphone Hackers for giving apple the Ideas for the App Store. It's only because of the Iphone Hackers getting custom apps on the Iphone, tnat Apple is making a HUGE CRAP LOAD of money from the App Store.. And with the App Store, selling many more Iphones.

• dsajkdh@yahoo.com
    via Wordpress

Dear Apple,

I F****** hate you.

sincerly,
    Iphone hacker

• rez
    rez Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

Mmmm - sounds to me like someone is getting greedy?

Apple is throwing their toys out of the pram (again). I love the comment about the car radio - I was just thinking ... if I bought one of those Philips LCD TVs with the "ambient colour surround frame" under Apple's law I would not be allowed to change the colour myself if I didn't like the ones it came with!?

They really need to be careful here as the competition is hotting up and trying to monopolise a product or service will never win.

Microsoft is on it's way out now and if Sony hadn't been so tight with their mini disk technology back in the day we would all be using AAC instead of MP3.

Apple beware - the power of the people is stronger than the power of the corporation!?

There's my two pennies worth ...

rez

• HotSpot
    HotSpot Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Apple, just get your head out of it and listen to what the consumers are asking for.

Hmmmm how does the saying go?

The customer is always right!

• HotSpot
    HotSpot Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Yeah they developed a phone only and let them make the profit they deserve for their product.

• Dozer
    Dozer Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

apple may want to tread lightky here microsoft suffered anti trust lawsuits after simply packing their software into their operating system this could result in alot of thing apple doesnt want such as being forced to open their platfrm to competitor software they dont want to have happen

• Andre
    Andre Posts: 64
    via Wordpress

I own my iPhone Apple don't I'll do what I want with something that I own, if they don't like people jailbreaking there product then don't restrict it to get the monopoly, there are very talented devs in this world who create great apps for a jailbroken phone.

Eat your own Apple and don't stop others eating their own.

• kenshin
    kenshin Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
  • Ken
    Ken Posts: 114
    via Wordpress

Apple is stupid... Just ignore what they say... Come sue me if you can I'm from Australia!

• zorro
    zorro Posts: 12
    via Wordpress

Dear Apple.

You fucking cocks. Continue down this path and I and many other iPhone owners will sell our iPhones and not buy another Apple product.

Yes the iPhone is nice, but Google are catching you /fast/ and with their more open system are looking much more appealing right now.

Apple just stop it please, your suddenly turning into Microsoft, WTF is wrong with you?

I only bought an iPhone because it was jailbreakable. I've not jailbroken it yet but that's not the issue, I /can/ if I want to. If the situation arose where I couldn't then I /would/ get rid of it immediately.

Careful Apple. Continue down this path and it's "Screw you guys, I'm going home" time.

• bastian gatten
    bastian gatten Posts: 43
    via Wordpress

I love my iphone but if they make it illegal im getting a blackberry. I mean seriously. Its my phone. I payed for it. I should be able to put what I want on it like I would do a regular computer. Its not like im leasing a car or something. Its MINE!!!

• Nukie
    Nukie Posts: 28
    via Wordpress

Apple has set a precedent that I believe works against their argument. They have been making computers for years in which you can install any application and use it as you wish. If Apple always had a closed system not allowing other applications on their devices, then they might have a leg to stand on. But Macs are an open platform and so should the iPhone. It's just a small computer that can also make calls.

I look forward to the day when I can install Firefox on my iPhone. Kudos to Mozilla, Skype and Cydia for their support!

• Apple's Downfall
    via Wordpress

Their is no way that the copyright office is going to enforce Apple's request for making jailbreaking illegal. The iPhone itself is only 300$ with a contract, what are they gonna do, sue 1.6 Million people in court? They would lose more money suing one person due to legal bills, than the iPhone is even worth. Even if they managed to persuade the copyright office of their ploy, it is not going to change anything, everyone will still jailbreak it anyway. Apple, you're own ego will be your undoing.

• Apple's Downfall
    via Wordpress

Their is no way that the copyright office is going to enforce Apple's request for making jailbreaking illegal. The iPhone itself is only 300$ with a contract, what are they gonna do, sue 1.6 Million people in court? They would lose more money suing one person due to legal bills, than the iPhone is even worth. Even if they managed to persuade the copyright office of their ploy, it is not going to change anything, everyone will still jailbreak it anyway. Apple, you're own ego will be your undoing.