iPhone 3GS Users Can't Restore to iPhone OS 3.0; But iPhone OS 3.1 Still Vulnerable

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiPhone 3GS Users Can't Restore to iPhone OS 3.0; But iPhone OS 3.1 Still Vulnerable

If you are an iPhone 3GS user who has accidentally upgraded to iPhone OS 3.1 as you weren’t aware of the warning given by the iPhone Dev Team to avoid upgrading to iPhone OS 3.1 then there is some more bad news. Folks at BigBoss are reporting that iPhone 3GS...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Dan
    Dan Posts: 348
    via Wordpress

this is making me wish i didnt get an iphone 3gs the day it come out now... has so many plus points but not being able to jailbreak because i didnt get my bes files.... if i cant jailbreak, its getting sold.. and im sure im not the only one.

• I'm not sure I follow all the technical details, but it really is too bad that Apple isn't more like TiVo. TiVo doesn't support hacking or hacked boxes, but they don't lock you out either. They pretty much look the other way and let us do what we want. The percentage of people who actually hack their TiVo's (or iPhones) is pretty low anyway - it's not going to hurt the companies, as TiVo has discovered, and might actually benefit good will in the long run. I hope my 3GS isn't in danger - I would NOT want to unjailbreak it.

• MO
    MO Posts: 132
    via Wordpress

:(. I had all my ibec and those files done before. But I got my 3gs replaced and got a new one and I totally forgot to do it on my new one. I'm still on 3.01. Not upgrading yet. My question is since I'm still on 3.01 can I like turn my Internet connection off on my computer so iTunes doesn't recognize a later version of iPhone os and restore 3.01 and still capture those files?

• MO
    via Wordpress

OH and what exactly do they mean when 3.1 is still vulnerable?

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Don't think that will work. According to the experts, any time you restore
    your iPhone, it sends a signal to the Apple server to verify the firmware.
    Apple is no longer verifying older firmware files so you will get an error.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

It means that someone might figure out a way to jailbreak iPhone 3GS running
    iPhone OS 3.1 without the need of IBSS files.

• nightwalker
    nightwalker Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

Hi,

unfortunately i have updated my 3G to 3.10 with the new itunes 9.after i while i managed to downgrade to 3.0 & jailbreak the phone and tried to unlock it with ultrasn0w. But it was not possible to get a signal of my provider because the baseband has changed to ICE2-05.11.07.

i also have 5.80 as bootloader
    but the fuzzy tool does not work with this baseband. Do you have a solution for me to downgrade the baseband ?

thanks a lot and best regards
    nightwalker

• MO
    via Wordpress

Ok thanks. That made the bad news be less bad lol

• MO
    via Wordpress

Once the baseband is upgraded it's almost impossable to downgrade it since baseband updates can't be reverted to an earlier state. The only chance you have is to wait for dev team to find another hole that will allow unlocking on that baseband version

• cody
    cody Posts: 101
    via Wordpress

I upgraded to 3.1 and than downgraded to 3.0 =. Here are the steps.

1: Option click restore and select Firmware 3.0
    2: Restore will fail (1015 error or something like that.) <-- It's good!
    3: Will put the phone into "rescue" mode. Repeat Step 2.
    4: Your phone will fail to restore again. (Same error I believe)
    5: Open purplerain and "Make it rain".
    6: BAM! Restored to 3.0

Enjoy!

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

As Mo (thanks Mo) has mentioned, unfortunately at this point of time there
    is no solution available to downgrade the baseband firmware.

• rsaw1002@gmail.com
    via Wordpress

hey i have a iphone 3G 16gb/jailbroken and unlocked. i stupidly upgraded to 3.1. do you think your purplera1n trick is gonna work for me?

• Dan
    Dan Posts: 348
    via Wordpress

Can anyone verify that this works and jailbreak+unlock works afterwards? My iphone is stuck in a frozen black screen loop on startup and don't want to risk updating to 3.1 yet...

• Bermuda Brains
    Bermuda Brains Posts: 16
    via Wordpress

I was able to unlock my 2G , which had 3.1 firmware, Last night and make it work on my local carrier.

• pradeep
    pradeep Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

mine s an iphone 3gs unlocked by default.... so if i upgrade to os 3.1 , wud i be able to just jailbreak it...????

• Jay
    Jay Posts: 295
    via Wordpress

I have a Iphone 3g and i upgraded to the OS 3.1, the author said that 3G phones can be downgraded. how do i downgrade to OS 3.0?

• Tg
    Tg Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

Might the solution be to take the focus off the phone and put it onto hacking iTunes to allow it to update phones with unsigned firmwares?

• nightwalker
    via Wordpress

Thanks for the info, even i don´t really like what you wrote.. :(
    this means i should sell it to someone with a AT&T SIM card so he can keep on using it ?
    for me its useless right now ...

• nightwalker
    via Wordpress

how did you do that ?
    have you also had the new modem firmware after your update to 3.10 ?
    mine is the 5.11.07 now and ther is no way to downgrad to the old one...

• hollywood
    hollywood Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I agree with TG, i have tried to disconect from the interent as the restore starts to keep from verifiying the signature, but it fails with a 3004, i also tried to copy nd rename a 3.0 ipsw, but Itunes is smart enough to see that and force another download.
    somhow getting around that Signature check would help all the 3GS users!

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 383
    via Wordpress

Buenas, no hay forma entonces de bajar el firmware 05.11.07 y abrir las bandas??

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 383
    via Wordpress
  • steven
    steven Posts: 113
    via Wordpress

how did u do it i upgraded my iphone 2g and i couldnt pass the activation screen so it didnt activate it just said slide to unlock can you plese help mee i dont have an AT&t contract i have a prepaid att sim card which i thought it should activate since its att but it didnt

• QuasiMondo
    QuasiMondo Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

With apple not digitally signing the older firmware files, I don't think 3G users can revert back to 3.0 or 3.0.1 either. I have a 3G that I inadvertently upgraded to 3.1 and I can't get it back to 3.0.1

• Yannos
    Yannos Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

Dan

Is your phone a 3GS? Does it have the black screen with White apple logo?

Have you just installed something from cydia and been asked to "restart springboard"?

If so don't worry, mine does this.
    Here's how I fix it.
    Press and hold power
    Hold home
    As soon as the screen goes blank let go of both buttons, if you don't the phone will end up in DFU mode forcing the 3.1 update.
    Turn your phone back on, you may need to do this 2 or 3 times, leave it for about 5 mins each time.

The reason is, you prob have a lot of stuff installed, and it can take a while to complete.

• mbhullar
    mbhullar Posts: 43
    via Wordpress

There have been no changes to the 2G Modem firmware in almost 2 years, hence no impact on 2G phones, they can be jailbroken and unlocked.

• mbhullar
    via Wordpress

I believe the answer to that is "no". Capturing the IBSS files requires you to restore your phone. As of now Apple has stopped signing the 3.0 and 3.01 firmware for 3GS, it will force you to upgrade to 3.1.

• mbhullar
    via Wordpress

My suggestion just wait for a few days. I read on the bigboss.org site that a hole may have been found to jailbreak 3.1, although too eary to say.

Besides you are on 3g phone so you can restore back to 3.0 software, this problem only affects users that are on 3GS software as apple has stopped digitally signing 3.0 or 3.01 firmware for 3GS only. Hope this helps.

• mbhullar
    via Wordpress

Sorry one more comment. Since you upgraded to 3.1, even if you downgrade your baseband will not get downgraded, so unless a hole is found to patch the modem firmware your unlock will not work anymore.

• Erk
    Erk Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

so does this mean that anyone that buys a 3gs frm now on that has preloaded 3.1 will not be able to jailbreak?