Apple Updates Boot ROM in new iPhone 3GS Models to Prevent Jailbreaking

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageApple Updates Boot ROM in new iPhone 3GS Models to Prevent Jailbreaking

The iPhone hacking community has recently managed to stay ahead of the cat and mouse game of jailbreaking the iPhone, thanks to blackra1n, Geohot’s amazingly easy jailbreaking tool and iPhone Dev Team’s PwnageTool. But looks like Apple has just upped the ante. iClarified is reporting that Apple has started shipping...

Read the full story here

Comments

• mike
    mike Posts: 489
    via Wordpress

if really impossible to jailbreak then my current 3gs is the last iphone i will use.

BYE BYE Apple!!!!!

back to blackberry

• k.rock
    k.rock Posts: 13
    via Wordpress

Why doesn't apple leave the jailbreak in the unsupport territoy? Meaning, we allow it, but don't support it...

• PsychoKiller
    PsychoKiller Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

Goodbye apple if really is unjailbreakable iPhone.

• Larry
    Larry Posts: 54
    via Wordpress

@ K.Rock, it is because jailbreak dips into their revenue stream, introduces customers to a more superior product faster than anticipated which increases customer demand when there is no supply (if they take jailbreak away), and puts a load on network resources with options like tethering.
    Funny thing is, most of the hackers already have the phone jailbroken. As long as this move is not retroactive, I'm cool. Otherwise, I'll get a storm 2 and call it a day.

• qwerty
    qwerty Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

I will cancel wait for tmobile dark project then cancel ATT and sell my iphone then buy the nokia n900. Or stick with new walmart unlimited plan.

• Basyarah
    Basyarah Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Apple must realise that it really doesn't matter what they do, the phone will get jail broken... but if they want to keep wasting time and money blocking it, so be it.

• Robin
    Robin Posts: 39
    via Wordpress

While it makes sense to prevent unauthorised unlocking (as that has the potential to spoil their subsidised deals with providers), I agree that it's foolish for Apple to prevent jailbreaking. The only people who do it are people who are serious about modifying the functionality of their phone, and they wouldn't go to all that trouble if they were equally happy with a "stock" iPhone. If this is true, I probably won't upgrade to another iPhone unless/until someone figures out how to jailbreak it... and if another kind of smart phone manages to catch up in terms of functionality in the mean time, then that will be a loss to Apple, not a gain.

It's a very silly move - quite disappointed in Apple about this. Thought they had more sense than to actively block jailbreaking.

• Akaki
    Akaki Posts: 15
    via Wordpress

Yeaaa, Apple sux, making money in any possible way they can :( without jail breaking we cannot even change theme of the phone... bye bye Iphone
    Hello again Nokia, check this baby out "nokia n900"
    so sad, such a good thing iphone and crappy maker :D
    i wonder are they gonna give us custom EQ in any future? :)))).....

• Harsha
    Harsha Posts: 84
    via Wordpress

Frankly speaking.. i know iphone is awesome.. it was gr8 looking once.. but if they really do not come out with gr8 new lookin headset next year then i will move to another company ... i like new things!

BTW, N900 looks promising to me.. Even Plam Pre is gr8..

• Tc
    Tc Posts: 29
    via Wordpress

**** Jobs and Apple. I join the chorus thus far and can categorically state that once my service contract is fulfilled, I will no longer own *any* Apple ****.

• RP
    RP Posts: 10
    via Wordpress

Crapple is shooting themselves in the foot. They are not a consumer driven company, rather they think they can decide what is best. I mean damn it Crapple if you knew what was best for the consumer, we wouldnt have waited FOREVER for copy / paste and we would HAVE FLASH!!!! Apple, you can only feed the market, not control it, and if you start feeding it ****, don't be suprised when it throws up in your face.......nuff said.

• shinken1
    shinken1 Posts: 15
    via Wordpress

Whoa! That's pretty much what I'm thinking.

• JT
    JT Posts: 60
    via Wordpress

Me too. Just JB'd my 3 week old 3GS (3.1 oob - thanks dev-team) and it will be my last iPhone.

But , not a Blackberry.

Android. If I could get Android in the physical package of my iphone, I'd have already switched. Android is about 80% of the way there. Close. So close you can taste it.

The sad thing is, Apple doesn't give a rat's ass if the JB crowd leaves. Of course, these people represent the tip of cool.

Where the hackers go, cool goes. Where cool goes, others follow.

Look for iphone circa 2012 to be used mostly by old folk.

And Apple still won't care.

• shinken1
    shinken1 Posts: 15
    via Wordpress

I feel that if I signed the contract, paying the extra fees to use the device, I should have absolute say over what I do with that device.

IT'S MY IPHONE, JOBS!

I've been tricking out my phones for years and I ain't gonna stop. From Mod My Moto to XDA Developers to being a Symbian Freak!
    I make my own ringtones and post for all to use and I get threating emails from the RIAA! I PAID for my CDs and any other music I have so I can do whatever the hell I want with them. Just like this iPhone I'm posting from. Maybe I'll get a 3GS but I'm keeping this badboy just to be my digital middle finger to apple.

And yes, the N900 is sounding good right now.

• eclipse3g
    eclipse3g Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

Guess this will be a bonus for Verizon, as their coverage is far superior. As people drop iphone/AT&T at renewal time and go with one one the Verizon supported devices.

• aaaaa
    aaaaa Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

if no more JB for iphone time for new phone diff one not with the I.

• bbbbbb
    bbbbbb Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

maybe time for HTC’s HD2 looks sweet!

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 137
    via Wordpress

How will this be a bonus for Verizon?

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 137
    via Wordpress

Do you have $800 USD for that device? Trust me it's not worth it. I purchased the original HD for about $700. Not worth the price for a half an inferior processor

• pauldta
    pauldta Posts: 22
    via Wordpress

Fuk Apple.I guarantee that lots of customers will stop buying their **** around the world if Apple keep doing so.Apple is not the fucking smartphone in the world.Eat apple.......

• YW
    YW Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

Apple is a mean company! I paid good money for that phone, let me do whatever I want with it!!

• TimW
    TimW Posts: 430
    via Wordpress

I'll just stick with my 3G till it quits, who knows what's around the corner!
    Remember, it's early days for the new boot rom and there's a hell of a lot of hackers out there who will hopefully find a vector to attack.
    As said, it's a cat n mouse game, and the cat's just taken a new unchartered direction (Think Tom & Jerry, in 40+ years, the cat has never eaten the mouse, caught yes, eaten, no)
    can see where apple are coming from tho, I've not bought an app for at least 6 months
    on the App subject...is it me or have App prices started going up??

• TonyK
    TonyK Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

this is just a mere pat on the back for software firms and the media to say apple is continuing to fix flaws, but deep down inside apple knows a large portion of iphone users are drawn to buy the iphone because of its jb ability.

With the new bootrom released, apple will monitor if usage percentage drops. If so, who say apple cant secretly leak an exploit to enable jb?

• karl
    karl Posts: 113
    via Wordpress

theyll me able to hack this so we can still jailbreak right?

• iLauncher
    iLauncher Posts: 17
    via Wordpress

Does anyone know how to use this System Profiler to check the iBoot version of ur 3GS?
    Im on Windows XP PRO SP3 and i know how to goto DFU mode on the iphone but how and where to use this System Profiler?
    Also, does it work for jailbroken and non-jailbroken iphones?
    Thanx, in advance.

• eclipse3g
    eclipse3g Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

Verizon coverage over the US is far better that AT&T, my GF is still with Verizon and as we travel around the country she almost always has data coverage, but with AT&T as soon as you get out from highly populated areas I'm lucky to even enough service to even make a phone call.

• AppleFTL
    AppleFTL Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

This move to deny JB makes me think Apple is out of ideas on how to improve this product any further. It seems as if they are just going to try and milk it as it currently is now by controlling access to it.

Time for a new phone.

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 134
    via Wordpress

So if u already have 3gs iphone can apple update it

• Chad
    Chad Posts: 26
    via Wordpress

It's only a matter of time. I'm pretty sure someone will find a way to jailbreak this new updated ROM. Apple can't block it for ever. Everything is program and binary & machine codes. So Apple really can't block it for ever. Pretty soon Apple need to find a another method to prevent jailbreaking their phone after someone comes up with new method to jailbreak new ROM. Sorry APPLE.

• Qonneqtion
    Qonneqtion Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Blah blah blah, everyone stop crying cuz you're going to CONTINUE to use your iPhone. You're not going anywhere. And if anyone knows ANYTHING about "fine print" what all of us JBs are doing (including myself) are violating the license. We're lucky they didn't add a GPS alert during boot up that let's them remotely shut down any iPhone that's been tampered with. Enjoy what you have and stop crying...it's a phone.