iPhone 4 Owners Reporting Reception Issues When They Hold Antenna Band? [Updated]

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiPhone 4 Owners Reporting Reception Issues When They Hold Antenna Band? [Updated]

We have received complaints from our readers that they’re observing reception issues when they touch iPhone 4’s side antenna bands. Gizmodo has also received several complaints from their readers who have observed the same issue and has posted many videos showing the problem. iPhone 4 comes with a new antenna...

Read the full story here

Comments

• sebastian
    sebastian Posts: 24
    via Wordpress

Yes first! I got my cake you effers! And I can't wait to get my iPhone four, but now I'm alitlle scared

• sebastian
    via Wordpress

And I can't wait to hear about the layoff's in the various companies that contributed to the iPhones creation, I love tech drama!!!!!

• putters
    putters Posts: 57
    via Wordpress

Looks like a problem in the software, as video two could still make a call (and quite fast I might add). I expect there will be a bug fix in about a week. If anything, it might be dropping one bar, but the software looks like it's glitching to continue to drop until that original bar is restored.

• sebastian
    via Wordpress

Oh and iPhone hacks, don't you think that apple may have observed this issue a long time ago? Hence the iPhone bumper? How often does apple create a product like the bumper unless they know for sure it will be needed and sold

• Jordan
    Jordan Posts: 163
    via Wordpress

If it's needed to make calls it should be in the box

• putters
    putters Posts: 57
    via Wordpress

iPhonehacks, it sounds like a software issue when backing up from an iphone 3gs or 3g. All of the videos (of credibility) have stated that they have used their data from their 3g or 3gs. Like I said before, it might be dropping one bar at most, but because of this glitch from backing up from an old iphone, it continues to drop despite still being able to make calls like it was just missing one bar. I expect that apple will fix this problem in a week or so.

The 2nd theory sounds more correct

2nd Theory: Upon thinking, it could also be (along the lines of that same glitch) overloading or enhancing the signal, as our bodies should actually be improving the signal than harming it (like when you touch the antennas on an extremely old tv, the reception gets better) All the videos showed full bar's, and then they touched the sides. Thus, because it is going beyond its limits, this could then trigger the glitch and force it into a continual drop in reading because it does not know how to handle it (as video two shows it works lightning fast). When the hand is removed, it can then read it properly and thus the glitch is stopped and returns the reading to normal.

• Akaki
    Akaki Posts: 15
    via Wordpress

Crap, sides are 2 antennas and probably hand is connecting both antennas and grounding them or short circuiting them and reception dies.
    Can you guys hold it with paper wrapped around to exclude short circuiting and post what happened?

• Arran
    Arran Posts: 19
    via Wordpress

Well mine has the same problem with the bars dropping and the firat call i made seemed like there was no reception. I thought maybe cause there was a storm comming, but now i dont think so.

• Arran
    Arran Posts: 19
    via Wordpress

What a bunch of ****. Apple should not release a product without better testing! Im pissed

• Arranh
    Arranh Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

Ok so now i have it in a rubber 3g case and i have better bars.

• Akaki
    Akaki Posts: 15
    via Wordpress

hold it with 3g case and without case, also put paper on your hand and iphone in it and hold and see what it does, if same with paper and case and bad reception without them than ohoho happy new year apple ...
    just kidding probably phone will get recalled or they will do some update to drop antenna sensitivity

• Jo3Bingham
    Jo3Bingham Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

I restored from my 3GS backup and I'm having no problems. Reception doesn't drop whether I hold the phone or not, no discoloration of the display, no scratches. :\ Not that I'm complaining or anything, haha.

• hxclos
    hxclos Posts: 353
    via Wordpress

The second guy was able to make the phone call because he had one bar of signal. Had the one remaining bar dropped to "Searching" or "No Signal", his call would have dropped. Seems like common sense to me.

I wonder if the last guy had his previous iPhone jailbroken since he claims to be restoring from backup. I'm preparing my 3GS by uninstalling most Cydia app before I create a backup as a precaution.

• John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress

The number of signal bars go up and down on every phone I've ever used. The positioning of the phone, location, etc all affects the number of bars. Apple has already reported that the number of bars being shown will be fixed soon and does not affect call quality.

I haven't had any of these problems with my iphone 4 yet. I got mine today and so far, it's working flawlessly. I saw the other post about the screen problems too. I guess I got lucky. Mine is flawless!

• Josh
    Josh Posts: 265
    via Wordpress

I have has the same signal issue, but have not noticed any effect from it. Even when the signal shows zero I can still make calls and they sound great on the phone that I'm calling and I can surf the net fine when wifi is off.

• John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress

And the retard restored from an iphone 3gs backup. They're two different phones. Itunes should not have allowed that backup to be restored to the iphone 4. It's a new phone and should have been setup as a new phone.

User error there.

I set my phone up as a new iphone, then synced it with my itunes and ALL of my data including songs, movies, photos, contacts, apps were copied to my new iphone 4.

• Jay
    Jay Posts: 295
    via Wordpress

i have the same issue.... NO BARS

• Shadrool
    Shadrool Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

I have a 3G running iOS4. I JB'd right away. I notice huge problems. I then restored the pwn back to a new ipwn also running iOS4. I'm still seeing dramatic problems with freezing and taking forever to do little things. Including writting this. I'm very disappointed with the firmware upgrade.
    I wanted to wait for a white ipwn. But I might just wait for the windows 7 pwn.

• smash
    smash Posts: 26
    via Wordpress

I have no issues like that. This phone is awesome. Got it today at 1pm.

• JC
    JC Posts: 55
    via Wordpress

i only have the reception issue but it only happens when i thouch the left side of my phone!

• Kewlj1313
    Kewlj1313 Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

I restored my iPhone 4 from scratch and did not restore my iPhone 3GS backup. The phone is running smooth thus far!

Thank you,

Kewlj1313

• jajaja
    jajaja Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

Antenna static issue just like old tv antenna hahaha...Yall better careful when holding that iPhone 4 when there is thunder and lightning strike...might get yourself kill with that defective antenna hahahaha

• jose
    jose Posts: 138
    via Wordpress

Sounds like now is the perfect time for the competition to break out with the droid X it's pretty much like the evo 4 from sprint but with a better antenna. Si they might brag about that considering this little problem apple is having

• easy
    easy Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

i dont get any reception lost when holding my iphone 4 how its shown in the first video... perfect full bars!

• Person with a brain
    via Wordpress

I am having an issue where when I read an email it will not be marked as read and will continue to show the little blue dot next to it. iPhone 4 32gb

• duston
    duston Posts: 26
    via Wordpress

I'm sorry but are you fucking retarded,
    The "backup" feature is there for reasons like this, you get a new phone and you back up your old phones contents onto it!

WOW..

I have went from 2g-3g-3gs all originating from my old, 2g backup, so don't tell me, "Apple shouldn't of aloud the backup"

Don't call this guy a retard, he clearly is not

• jack
    jack Posts: 149
    via Wordpress

I think google speeding lies to make
    the iPhone 4 looks bad
    this is a cold war between apple and
    google and pc

• Kaz
    Kaz Posts: 22
    via Wordpress

I was able to replicate this on my 3GS running iOS4, and made a call with no bars and it didn't drop out or anything, so I think it is just a glitch in the iOS4 software in recognizing the signal.

• kaz716
    kaz716 Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I was able to replicate this on my 3GS running iOS4, and made a call with no bars and it didn't drop out or anything, so I think it is just a glitch in the iOS4 software in recognizing the signal.

• kaz716
    kaz716 Posts: 2
    via Wordpress