Multitasking Feature In iOS 4 - Do You Like It?

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageMultitasking Feature In iOS 4 - Do You Like It?

It has been a week since Apple released iOS 4, its eagerly awaited next generation iOS. One of the major features introduced in iOS 4 is the multitasking feature, which finally allows iPhone users to run some categories of third-party iPhone apps in the background. It was one of the...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Neil
    Neil Posts: 46
    via Wordpress

pandora is all i need boss

• dR435t4
    dR435t4 Posts: 14
    via Wordpress

i personally dont like it that much... the reason being that theres no support for jailbroken apps... but i guess apple cant do much about that haha... i'll leave that to the hacking community =]

• David
    David Posts: 225
    via Wordpress

I think it's a great implementation, 3rd party updates taking advantage of these Apis are slowly but surely making their way to the app store. I'm already happy that Tom Tom was quick to adopt and release 4.0 api's, just waiting for the wunderradio app to get the multitasking treatment. Not sure what other people were expecting but this is perfect and not a battery killer.

• xsvl
    xsvl Posts: 42
    via Wordpress

I'd like it if my wireless remote apps, like Boxee, could stay connected in the background. Not sure if it's possible with Apples limitations though.

• dave
    dave Posts: 389
    via Wordpress

Tom Tom adopting the 4.0 api's not rolling out the api's lol. My bad

• jim
    jim Posts: 128
    via Wordpress

With remove recents, and backgrounder its perfect! Lol. The problem is that apple assumes its users are stupid and that they cannot manage anything themselves, which is not the case.

• Jon
    Jon Posts: 116
    via Wordpress

I don't have it, because I have the 2nd generation MC-Model iPod touch and there are no jailbreaking tools out yet. I can not wait for when they do so I can try out the multitasking.

• cave
    cave Posts: 15
    via Wordpress

another EPIC FAIL on apples part.How long do they think we will keep buying this crap products

• USAInfidel
    USAInfidel Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

3G Old Btrm
    3.1.2 to 3.1.3 to 4.0

Updated as above over course of owning phone and jailbroke every time. 4.0 sucks - memory hawg if I ever seen one (at least for my 3G). Went back to 3.1.2 in past hour and re-installed backgrounder with proswitcher - the best multitasking jb app ever. We will never understant why apple does the things they do and can never do it right the first time, or the second time, or the third time.......

• Symph
    Symph Posts: 14
    via Wordpress

"This means that the multitasking feature still does not cater to some of the popular categories of iPhone apps such as instant messaging apps, social networking apps, reader apps for RSS feed etc"

This much is not entirely true. Beejive IM just released an update that does in fact run in the background and not just freeze. How long it actually stays connected we'll see but so far looks good.

• John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress

What i really dont like is how slow developers are. What happened with eBay, Skype and bunch more apps shown at WWDC running multitasking and we havent heard anything about them...I think im experiencing less battery also, not so sure about that. Something im not so sure, if you dont kill all the apps running in the background, do they really affect battery? Im going nuts closing all apps after i use them.

• Symph
    via Wordpress

Well Beejive doesnt stay connected to long either that or its because my connection is flaky, going in and out but the program itself doesnt run through the boot-up process

• Steven M
    Steven M Posts: 114
    via Wordpress

It might not be true multitasking, but I can't think of how I would do it any better. I really don't care about multitasking on a phone anyway. As long as audio, VoIP, and location are allowed to stay running in the background I'm happy. I do agree that the instant messaging programs should be included. I don't see why true multitasking is needed when you can only see one app on the screen at a time.

The only thing I don't like about the new multitasking is now I feel like I have to keep shutting down apps. There are some apps that I wish would just close when I exit them. Instead I end up with like 10+ apps in the task switcher. What is the point when you end up with nearly as many apps at the bottom in the task switcher as you do on your home screen? For the few apps that freeze properly it makes a little sense but most of my apps in the task switcher just load from the beginning. It would be faster to just relaunch them from the home screen.

• Symph
    via Wordpress

IDK..., My battery life seemed to increase a bit. I did try some of things they suggested doing. Turning down the brightness, not using ipod EQ, turning off Wi-FI and 3G when not needed.

• Peter parker
    Peter parker Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I dnt like it much bcuz u cnt tell which of the apps tht are truly running in the background or not. But i must say the music app multi-tasking thing is pretty cool!

• Steven M
    Steven M Posts: 114
    via Wordpress

Haha, me too. I just made a comment about that a few posts down. I always find myself wanting to close more apps in that list than I switch to. It seems like I waste more time closing apps that I'm done with than I did in the past just launching everything from the beginning. Maybe we just need to get more used to it.

• hxclos
    hxclos Posts: 353
    via Wordpress

I hate it!!! I'm now back to using Backgrounder. I have a Sirius XM account and can't keep it playing with Apple's so called "multitasking". The app I use, PocketTunes, doesn't even "freeze" it shuts off completely. I'm also hating the folders. Lucky for me, Catagories works great (the paid version anyway). The only good I see in iOS 4 is the new possibilities for the jailbreak community.

• naveed
    naveed Posts: 68
    via Wordpress

I was eagerly waiting for iOS 4. But very disappointed with multitasking, proswitcher was excellent.....

• Scooby
    Scooby Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

I quite like this "multitasking" over a jb "multitasking" based on experience with battery life... iOS4 gets me through the whole day without having to worry about charging... When I try the different jb multitasking, the iPhone would not last the day...

• nick
    nick Posts: 219
    via Wordpress

Multytasking sounds more like windows mobile, when every single app you run , stays in the background, and you have to go into the task manager to close all the apps that are eating your memory. Eventualy they are going to come up with a JB app that kills the app when you exit, so you don't have to manually close it. WELCOME TO THE WINDOWS MOBILE NIGHTMARE. Btw, I own an HD2, so I know how it feels. I liked my 3G with 3.1.3 better

• georgino@setarnet.aw
    via Wordpress

I rather keep using "backgrounder" then the multitasking feature in ios4.
    Works way better...

• mars
    mars Posts: 25
    via Wordpress

I think it is for grandma buddy...lol

• mars
    via Wordpress

backgrounder jb burns the hell out of the battery on 3GS and definitely on a 3G. You have to constantly have your phone plugged up and constantly closing apps. Don't forget one or next thing you know your at 18% power in a half hour...no lie.

• mars
    via Wordpress
  • mars
    via Wordpress

Ummm that's because none of the programs are updated yet pal lmao. Only works when the code is implemented.

• Mackie
    Mackie Posts: 52
    via Wordpress

If Apple let us swipe across the screen to enable multitask the it would be cool. (like Proswitcher)

• mars
    via Wordpress

That's because it burns the battery faster. Can't have one without the other.

• furrever
    furrever Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

I totally agree. The UI implementation is poor IMO.

• dave
    dave Posts: 389
    via Wordpress

It's not the developers, it's the review and approval process

• Tony
    Tony Posts: 145
    via Wordpress

sucks donkey nuts, whats the point of having such a great processor when you dont use it, multitask is not really multitask on a iphone its jut a pause stop start again and oh i forgot that was running cause its not actually running in the background, we got pwnd by jobs that basard