Multitasking Feature In iOS 4 - Do You Like It?

Comments

• Tony
    Tony Posts: 145
    via Wordpress

oops i meant bastard

• ben
    ben Posts: 235
    via Wordpress

It's pretty cool! I exactly need an app to get "frozen" while I go do sth else. Then when I go back to that app it continues doing what it was doing. Perfect! I don't want to download or render anything in the background!

• twit_by
    twit_by Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I do like it but just isn't the same. I would stick with the JB version but I need to get use to apples way.

• James
    James Posts: 258
    via Wordpress

I like it, keeps the phone moving fast, doesnt drain battery life. Now that the processor is so quick its not like it takes long to re-open or "thaw" an app.

I am completely satisfied with iphone 4 and iOS4 minus the death grip, and the fact that you must have auto correct on in order to use spell check, this is in fact actually a terrible FAIL WHALE

• klutch
    klutch Posts: 54
    via Wordpress

Ita worthless if your using a app that takes a log time to load or in the middle of a poker game on zygna and u want to call or put music or anything your stuck. Backgrounder all the way. Backgrounder and sbsettigs are the 2 programs written better than, and more useful than apples way of Doing things.

• klutch
    klutch Posts: 54
    via Wordpress

Immaick of doesn't drain the battery crap. You make it home with 65% battery not doing anything you want I'll be at 20% and more productive. If u need it use it if not don't.

• Crazyfish
    Crazyfish Posts: 36
    via Wordpress

Neither Sirius or Shoutcast work in the background yet on iPhone 4. Over on my 3GS I have them background by default. If an app needed audio Sirius would even go silent and pick up playing later. Seems like Apple should just let us decide....

• Snooze
    Snooze Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

Totally agreed. Sucks having to effectively reload games everytime you need to do anything else. Pity Backgrounder isn't working on 4.0 (or is it now?? wasn't when I tried to load it the other day). And for those nay sayers, backgrounder doesn't have to suck the life out of your battery if you have the settings set so that it's not constantly on (ie: you only call it by holding down the menu button when you need to enable it).
    so, yeah - I think Apples idea of multi-tasking is a bit pointless and annoying too.

• hxclos
    hxclos Posts: 353
    via Wordpress

You're right. I was hoping that wasn't the case because now we have to wait for updates. I'm sure Apple mentioned this but I'm inpatient when it comes to the iPhone and fast forwarded through the wwdc. Cydia is driving me crazy too with their updates. Luckly PocketTunes released an update today. I still prefer ProSwitcher though. If you ask me, swiping up to close is quicker than the whole "hold down and wait for an X to appear" method. I guess I'll just have to keep waiting :/

• TimW
    TimW Posts: 430
    via Wordpress

Doesn't Apples 'Backgrounding' have a 10 minute limit for idle apps, 10 mins of no use & the app is automatically closed???

• James
    James Posts: 258
    via Wordpress

I am getting very annoyed with Sirius XM taking so long to update the app.. they have had since april now.. what is taking so long?

I agree, when I would be listening to XM in the background I would get a phone call and the music would stop.. Well written app.

• Steven M
    Steven M Posts: 114
    via Wordpress

I hope so. I was assuming that might be the way it works but I haven't tested that theory yet. Can anyone confirm this? Then I can stop worrying about shutting down apps.

• Neil
    Neil Posts: 46
    via Wordpress

hahaha you are so dumb
    APPLE SOLD 1.7 MILLION UNITS IN the first weeks
    they dont care about stupid ignorent coments like yours.
    people are still buying iphones like crazy

• mkimid
    mkimid Posts: 227
    via Wordpress

Simply,

Better than Nothing

One more,

it is a pretty good solution, but not perfect

• twit_by
    twit_by Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I'm not sure yet but anyone notice that when your using the voice memos app and you remove it from the Multitasking it does not properly save? For example also you taking a picture the multitasking is automatically functions to any app you open and if you select to manually remove it yourself it will not save any actions you did?

• Steven M
    via Wordpress

I went ahead and just looked at mine. Shazam is still running. I ran it over 6 hours ago and then didn't even tag anything because the song was ending. This is a case where I wished it had just closed down. No need for it to still be running. Also the App Store app is still running. I haven't done anything with my phone for 3 hours. I wish they would shut down automatically after like 20 to 30 minutes of inactivity. Maybe apple will add that later. Or maybe only updated apps are able to tell the phone they are idle. I don't know.

• Steven M
    via Wordpress
  • Miezl
    Miezl Posts: 15
    via Wordpress

What I don't understand is why ALL the apps have to run in background!
    It would be better if you could choose them by yourself.
    An app should close when you hit the homebutton and put in background when you push and hold the button a bit longer.

• Who
    Who Posts: 19
    via Wordpress

thats so wrong. do a clean jb, moron. Jb gave me full access over my phone and i dont bother to close apps i dont need. it takes 2 secs!

Use kirikae with backgrounder und youll be satisfied!

• dvdtoiphone4
    dvdtoiphone4 Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Multitask of IOS 4 is coo..L , i like it

• Salvadorean
    Salvadorean Posts: 46
    via Wordpress

I'm using iPhone 3G S with IOS 4 I do have noticed some issues that some apps have been crashing while I try backgrounding feature.
    Everytime I am using an app except pandora which works pretty smooth during web browsing, I have to start some apps all over again.
    They become blank squares.
    Wondering the best way to improve highest performance for it

• DeviousPig
    DeviousPig Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

This is one of my biggest disappointments with iOS4's implementation of MTing. I want to be able to control which app i want to kill and which i want in the background.

In no time, I have 10 apps on the bottom MT bar and I hate having to kill each one manually.

• Steven M
    via Wordpress

One last link to completely clear up this topic. This explains how the multitasking (Fast App Switching) really works. It's a very good read.

http://db.tidbits.com/article/11378

• DeviousPig
    DeviousPig Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Good find, however, it'd be nice not to have all those apps in the MT bar...kinda defeats the purpose.

• Jeet 510
    Jeet 510 Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

True...tht...apple makes such a great product...tht you just can ignore it.. aplle broght a new generation of cell phones with iphone. droid can push hard up from their ass. but they'll never pass iphone fame...NEVER!!!

• Gregg Schoen
    Gregg Schoen Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

It's not an idea solution. All the apps would need to be rewritten to take full advantage of the restricted multitasking.

While true multitasking might use more battery, shouldn't it be up to the user whether they prefer longer battery life or need to run an app concurrently? Most of the time there is no need for multiple apps to be running so it's not a huge issue. With jailbreak multitasking I notice it does use more battery but enormously.

• smash
    smash Posts: 26
    via Wordpress

I like it. Just wish there was a way to close them all with one tap.
    Im sure hack will be soon after jailbreak.

• Ad Lee
    Ad Lee Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

I have used other 3rd party multitasking apps on my 3GS before I upgraded to iOS4. To my experience, Apple's propriety multitasking feature isn't as user-friendly. In other backgrounding apps, one could double tap on the time/status bar on the top to activate & bring up all background apps. Using the "home" button once too often will cause early deterioration & will cost much to repair, apart from being very much inconvenienced.

Another issue I faced was when switching between apps. I ran a game app, then multitasked. When I returned to the game, instead of a "countdown" of 3-2-1 then the game resumes, my game was exited & I had to restart the whole game app again. In my books, I don't consider that as multitasking. With 3rd party apps, it worked just fine, without sacrificing much of my battery life. Anyone facing the same problem as I?

Next up, has anyone ever wondered why is it that for any damned app I open, it will be placed in the background? I open my settings app to change a few settings & it's instantly placed in the "freeze" bin. We all open many apps during the day in or out of office. I simply cannot manage the time to double tap "home" then close each unused app individually. Now how can that be conserving battery life?

Apart from multitasking tool iOS4 comprises, don't even get me started on "Folders"!!! What's the use of a folder that holds only a meagre 9-10 apps? I'd then have to create multiple folders to house all my apps within a given group.

'Nuff said. I appreciate what Apple has done to spark up our lives with their devices. I am contented at the moment. However being human, it's always never good enough. So for the love of all gadget freaks worldwide, please hear our cries & make better what is essentially already quite good.

PS. so how long more before the JB iOS4 (new bootrom) Mac ver is ready? I cannot wait!

• Travis
    Travis Posts: 35
    via Wordpress

I am personally very disappointed with iOS 4. Multitasking is a weak and pitiful replacement and doesn't work very. It's not a good alternative to backgrounder and proswitcher and if they are going to take ideas from users and the community, make it so that the native version does more than the third party version. Backgrounder has never killed my battery and it's insulting that Apple thinks we are too incompetent to manage our own apps. The folders were a huge disappointment. I even like the ui implementation of the folders and all, but what was the logic behind restricting users to only 12 apps per folder? All other tweaks are fine but these two disappointed heavily.

• tCricket
    tCricket Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

iOS4 Multitaking is FAKE BS! They are merely trying to trick us into actually thinking that there is multitasking! Try Yahoo Messenget, or any other app that you enteract with and log on to. When you go back, it forces a login again just like it would if you had closed it down. This "multitasking" is merely a list of recently opened apps, some of which trick you into beleiving that it is working when all it does is a "save-state" and closes!! What a RIP OFF!!