Engineer Claims Consumer Reports iPhone 4 Reception Problem Study Is Flawed

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageEngineer Claims Consumer Reports iPhone 4 Reception Problem Study Is Flawed

Consumer Reports, a popular product review and comparison organization had announced yesterday that it can’t recommend iPhone 4 due to its widely publicized reception problems. It is turning out to be a PR nightmare for Apple as mainstream media have also picked up the story. PR experts believe that Apple...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Geohot
    Geohot Posts: 21
    via Wordpress

Iphone 4 sux!! Long live Iphone 3GS!! move on to Gphone!!

• JimJam
    JimJam Posts: 20
    via Wordpress

I would say anything with this much media surrounding it has some truths and some fallacies. I have reproduced the problem on my iphone 4, but I also have a 3GS that has never had reception problems until iOS 4 come about. So who the hell knows???

• Y_air
    Y_air Posts: 12
    via Wordpress

I don't care if any of you people say "this scientist is dumb because CR are testing it on real life situations" this engineer does have a point. If the studies aren't conducted under controlled situations than the claims at best are false.

I wonder as well if the software patch will provide a better algorithm for the reception display. After all an incorrect algorithm will display a fantasy reception and thus, if there is a reception problem with the antenna design, the loss of signal is imminent.

I really hope it is a software glitch rather than a full blown design failure

• HCWHunter
    HCWHunter Posts: 49
    via Wordpress

OK, now for all the bozos chiming in with "my iPhone 4 reception sucks", or "my HTC EVO has better reception" or "Verizon kicks ATT's ass". Millions and millions of iPhone 4 purchasers are NOT having any problems but no doubt many people are having problems. We'll have to see what the SW fix does, if anything.

• kai
    kai Posts: 16
    via Wordpress

I haven't had any problems with my iPhone 4. The Droid is running negative ad campaigns.

• James
    James Posts: 258
    via Wordpress

This engineer is been paid off by apple!!

• Nj
    Nj Posts: 23
    via Wordpress
  • cee smith
    cee smith Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

That was my very first thought. This does happen in the money making industry.

• Someone connected to the internal part of the phone with some fourm of meter or Ocilliscope and found a percentage of attinuation or signal loss so yes there is really an issue an part of it is the person holding the phone some people are naturally better conductors than others. But weather it can be fixed with a softwear update yet to be seen. My two cents

• Someone connected to the internal part of the phone with some fourm of meter or Ocilliscope and found a percentage of attinuation or signal loss so yes there is really an issue an part of it is the person holding the phone some people are naturally better conductors than others. But weather it can be fixed with a softwear update yet to be seen. My two cents

• dave
    dave Posts: 389
    via Wordpress

Did u post this from your droid? The spelling is horrid!!

• blackmagik_01@yahoo.com
    via Wordpress

If you don't own an Iphone 4, I don't think you should comment about "It shouldn't be dropping calls" or "Apple should admit there is a problem with the phone and recall". I own 2 damn Iphone 4s and I don't have this problem at all doing my own tests. My tests involve me OWNING the phone and smothering the **** out of it and holding it anyway I want. The bars DO drop all the way till there are none on both phones, I admit it. But guess what? I still maintain the phone calls. The phone calls don't drop. They will drop normally 30-40 min into the call....which is better than the 3GS I had and sold on ebay. So if you don't own the damn phone shut the hell up and use whatever phone you want.

• MonkeyJoJo
    MonkeyJoJo Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

"To even reasonably run a scientific test, the iPhone should have been sitting on a non-metallic pedestal inside an anechoic chamber."

Yeah, b/c I make all my calls sitting on a non-metallic pedestal inside an anechoic chamber.

• lkdnlkcnds
    lkdnlkcnds Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

well sorry...not everyone can afford two iphone 4s like you...so why dont u stfu.

via Wordpress

I'm guessing you own 0 Iphone 4s? Since you seem to have taken 5% of what I wrote into far left field. Your the kind of people I'm talking about.

• Jackass
    Jackass Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

What a jackass. What does an Android have to do with incorrect spelling?

• Huh
    Huh Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

So what would happen when the software upgrade is released? How many bars would your iPhones show if you can drop to zero bars as it is now?

via Wordpress

Plus I'd like to add that I bout the 32GB IP4 for $333 with taxes and sold my 3GS 32GB on ebay for $285 which means I paid around $40 for the first IP4 and got the 16GB for $200. which equals around $250 for two IP4s on two lines I have for me and my gf. Yeah I'm in the Navy...you know we get paid the big bucks lmao stfu!!! Just because you had stock in Blockbuster doesn't mean everybody manages finances poorly.

• bob0917
    bob0917 Posts: 15
    via Wordpress

I have an iPhone 4 and can hold anyway I want stand on my head and not drop a bar. I have had not one problem with it maybe I am lucky but after waiting in line it might just have sympathy for me. I have yet to drop a call.

via Wordpress

Exactly!!! That's what I want to know. Because the shyt definitely isn't reading right to begin with. But hasn't left my phone useless either.

• Y W
    Y W Posts: 12
    via Wordpress

RECALL?!! c'mon, this is way out of proportion, if you have problems return the phone, if not don't, what's the freaking problem??!
    I have a 3G and it can't work with ios 4 (really, it's horrible), so I want recall too (actually I want nexus..).

• Unbelievable
    Unbelievable Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

This is not towards you but I don't get this engineer. If he has the knowledge to conduct the proper scientific test why doesn't he or Apple do it themselves? He cleary isn't too busy to do it since he has the time to read and criticize their unscientific tests. They can reproduce the bars dropping by touching the left side of the phone so what else could be the issue? Oh my mistake, they and everyone else were trying to make calls while sitting on thier metallic pedastool outside of thier anechoic chambers. How can they be so stupid?

• dsb9001@hotmail.com
    via Wordpress

I've been able to duplicate this problem on my iPhone 4 at home very easily but for the life of me cannot reproduce it at work. AT&T have recently upgraded the network in that area so that leads me to believe it could actually be fixed with a software solution. I had to buy a case as I'm accident prone (already dropped it three times) and since then can't reproduce the problem at home either. In my opinion it's a far superior phone compared to the 3G I had (not to mention the Android phone I tested for a week not too long ago) but Apple could have handled this situation much better than it has.

• Anthony braica
    Anthony braica Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

You are a WUSSY that's part wimp part pussy!!! Go choke on your dinner QUITTER

• Try again
    Try again Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

That's some good math

• Da pimp wit da limp
    via Wordpress

First Thanks black magic for your service to our country. Second I also have an I phone 4 and am loving it all this bullshit being slung around towards apple is an attempt to try to make their phones look better since they can't beat the iPhone straight fair and square. Co worker has the evo and fir the last two weeks we have done a side by side comparison and hands down he even says my iPhone 4 is better. Faster response longer battery and all around more user friendly. When yournthe best at something you always have a target on your back. All the negative press just shows they are desperate and reaching. Besides if their phone is so great why talk so much about the iPhone?

• tech
    tech Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

In case there is no recall. Easy fix with no iphone cover would be to put a clear coat on the antennas, such as nail polish lol, hey it gets rid of the continuity from your skin contact to the metal surface and it works. Hey I did it! no complaints here.

warning: please be sure to consult with your parent or gaurdian and see if this fix is right for you. Carelessness can lead to permanent damage to your iphone :)

• Ngmead
    Ngmead Posts: 13
    via Wordpress

And you wonder why he quit. Give him a break. even though i dont agree with some of the things he did like show and pretty much say i have it but your not getting it. He doesn't owe you anything to continue if it's not fun for him anymore. Besides this geohot probably isn't even him.

• MO
    MO Posts: 132
    via Wordpress

Bob egan YOU FOOL get off all This techno babble all you need to know and all of us do now is when we put our fingers on the iphone4 the BLOODY reception drops..is that scientific enough

• Jay
    Jay Posts: 295
    via Wordpress

im going to return my iphone and get a evo 4g!!