Engineer Claims Consumer Reports iPhone 4 Reception Problem Study Is Flawed

Comments

• hxclos
    hxclos Posts: 353
    via Wordpress

Some of you people need to read a little better. They've stated that this happens in certain areas where the network is not as strong. I live in west Texas and get decent (not great) 3G service on my 3GS. I know not to buy and iPhone 4 because obviously I would be affected. I hear Dallas on the other hand, gets pretty good signal. This reminds me of that stupid Verizon is better than AT&T argument which again, varies city to city. And Sprint's 4G network is another example.

• dave
    dave Posts: 389
    via Wordpress

Count me in with an iphone4 that has NO problem. I purchased the iphone4 for my wife and I've done the death grip on the lower end of the antenna "problem" area. Nothing happens. The signal never changes. This is all beginning to remind me of the hysteria over the Toyotas, which they are now reporting was mostly due to the owners.

• technogeek
    technogeek Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Another stupid expert guy.. the truth of the matter is "there is a problem with the signal".. what sort of explanation you still need - wehether you want it scientifically proven or not...Reality is "there is a signal lost".. Please... stupid ass..

• technogeek
    via Wordpress

Another stupid expert guy.. the truth of the matter is "there is a problem with the signal".. what sort of explanation you still need - wehether you want it scientifically proven or not...Reality is "there is a signal lost".. Please... stupid ass..

• technogeek
    via Wordpress

And yes I made that twice stupid...

• ZeppelinLed
    ZeppelinLed Posts: 68
    via Wordpress

Yep, a dropped call is a dropped call. Regardless of the amount of bloody bars Apple decide we should see.

• Yats
    Yats Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

what james said...

• Rudy569
    Rudy569 Posts: 19
    via Wordpress

Just as apple was getting better with the iphone! They go and **** it up haha.

• Not A Lemming
    Not A Lemming Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

cant believe all the apple Lemmings there are......... I believe this has been a problem with all the iphones and everyone kept blaming AT&T for signal drops i never had the drops i have now with my 3gs i had blackberry and palm on at&t never had signal problem til my first 3g. but i still like my iphone over those 2 phones.

Just wondering how many of you would jump off a bridge if Steve Jobs Told U TO...........

• Not A Lemming
    Not A Lemming Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

let me guess Dave u own a toyota............

• Wolverinemarky
    Wolverinemarky Posts: 518
    via Wordpress

i dont have an iphone 4 yet as i am waiting on the white one, however all this death grip talk has not deterred me from wanting one at all. So hurry up apple i want my iphone

• iPhonebarelykeepsup
    via Wordpress

Spell check functionality you moron

• Kwopau
    Kwopau Posts: 294
    via Wordpress

Unfortunately, the iphone 4 will not get recalled no matter what, and I doubt that they will. For one, it's not on all iphone 4 that has this antenna issues. I know a quite of people that doesn't have this issue. I don't know why some people are. but you guys have to know that it's always worth while waiting till at least a month or so, because people who buys them at launch day is likely going to have problems.

• iPhonebarelykeepsup
    via Wordpress

HAHAHA, you just pwned that mothaF%^KA

• PebsUK
    PebsUK Posts: 41
    via Wordpress

Perhaps the "engineer" in question should take into consideration that the iPhone 4 is a global product and we've got the reception issue here in the UK as well. Still I suppose it could still be an AT&T connection issue!!!!

• Rimmobile
    Rimmobile Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

The company is just changing the formula which calculates how bars are displayed. Apple is not fixing the reception at all, the so called fix is not a fix for anything.

• Weidyc@hotmail.com
    via Wordpress

People need to really not isolate this issue to just the iPhone 4 im not saying the Iphone 4 is flawless, but this signal issue needs actual scientific analysis in order to say if it actually is a problem or not, because not all phones display the same signal strength or has the same signal strength. And I can bet that they all have different ways of calculating signal strength and how to display them accordingly. just because one phone say its full bars doesn't mean its really full bars. there has to be a standard to follow in order to really say who has better reception or what really is bad reception. If all phone drop calls at the same signal strength number then we have something to work with. But I think all phone handles signal strength differently, maybe, i'm not sure, so that is what consumer report should really do not these so called real world test that are inconclusive and still leaves questions unanswered. They should do signal decibel test for all the phone out there, see how they operate, see at what decibel they loose signal, at what decibel they drop calls, at what decibels do they report a full bar display, just like the engineer said in the above, i'm sure we will be an in for a BIG SURPRISE.
    What worries me is that with the update from Apple, it will I guess, actually lower the bars being display, so in actuality, we never had 5 bars to begin with???, we was just led to believe that the signal is five bars worthy???. Unless what they are adjusting is the difference between each bar is increased. Meaning are they changing the formula by I.e. Increasing the amount of signal decibel loss needed in order for it to warrant a display one bar less to the user. Or are they adjusting it so that the signal strength being displayed to the user is not hyped or inflated. But what is the control to compare it to? Whos to say what really is a full bar signal strength, or what constitutes one bar less or no bars? At what decibels do you display how many bars? At how low of a signal strength do calls actually drop or phones actually loose service? Does all phones drop or loose service at the same signal decibles? Do they all have the same actual signal strength at full bars? But no one and I mean no one can complain unless they can give actual signal decibel readings of there iPhone 4 in any situation while comparing to previous iPhones or any other smartphones out there. Because unless you have actual number for signal strength amongs all phones, who's to say who really has good signal and who has bad signal reception, just as apple has admitted, their signal bar calculations are off, who's to say everyone else isn't off also.

• crazy Man
    crazy Man Posts: 39
    via Wordpress

I can't believe that apple is keeping a low profile at the minute. Since they know that everybody is waiting for the software update (ios4.0.1), why not release it as they claimed that this will be the solution for it. I personally think that apple hasn't got any solution yet and just waiting for the 30 days cooling off period to pass and all of us will be stuck with a nice black iPod touch!!!

• Fingers21
    Fingers21 Posts: 243
    via Wordpress

If apple would just issue a free bumper, reception problem solved! But how come the proximity sensor has little media? Surely that's just as big a problem as reception issues? And can't be fixed with any bumper! Just to point out, I have absolutely no issues with my iPhone 4, except for jobs lying through his ass about the battery life! Sure, it's better than my 3GS, but not by much! I've used 4% just writing this, and I type quick!

• nobber
    nobber Posts: 56
    via Wordpress

And i bet you listed it as a perfect phone on eBay - yet another dodgy eBayer.

- selling sub-standard items on to unsuspecting bidder's.

• nobber
    nobber Posts: 56
    via Wordpress

Wow, that was in depth and a good read, hope Crapple takes note.

• Tolga
    Tolga Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

I hate people like you, go learn hacking your own hardware! Geohot did his best, he didn't even asked money to make a software for the iPhone of PS3. Geohot and DarkAlex are the best hackers I have ever seen! Thank you Geohot and DarkAlex, take you time to do anything else with it instead of getting stuck by these morons!

• Joey
    Joey Posts: 35
    via Wordpress

I find it hard to believe that the Iphone4 has such an issue, I re3ceived my phone on the 23rd before the release date. I have not had any reception issue I did have sensor issue but that was fixed by resetting all of my settings since i transferred from my 3gs. I think this is being blown out of proportion.

• Anks
    Anks Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I have no problem with Iphone 4 reception. It is even better at many places. I am using a cover which might be the reason. Really network is better than 3gs.

• Get a life
    Get a life Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

And what, android doesn't have spell check?

• hemingway25
    hemingway25 Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

I have a group of family and friends who all own iPhones. Some have iOS4 and some dont but since the release of the new phone we all have dropped call issues when talking with one another.

• Geohot
    Geohot Posts: 21
    via Wordpress

Droid X > iPhone 4

• armhunter
    armhunter Posts: 22
    via Wordpress

I had the 3GS and now an iPhone 4. I can replicate the connection problem without my case on. But my 3GS always dropped my calls! Always! The new 4 does not! It has a much better connection. Now that I have a case, I almost always have full bars. Just get a case, it's no big deal, and it protects your phone.

• Geohot
    Geohot Posts: 21
    via Wordpress
  • Jay
    Jay Posts: 295
    via Wordpress

The funniest thing happened when i saw the new iphone i just knew apple got it right finally. But dam was i wrong im so heart Brooke to end my 4 year journey with the iphone branded phones i truly did love them..But after four years if i still cant hold a conversation with the call dropping of the face of the earth then i Just have to swallow my apple pride and jump ship to Google. It pains me so much to do this but im left with no other choice. AT&T Bad service no 4g. Apple bad phone no reception the 2 just add up to be one big head ache. Thank you apple it was fun u make a great ipad a great itouch but all my IPHONE4 is good for is well i get great pics and movies. But thats not enough for me. Ill mis being a apple iphone fan boy. Hello EVO4G WHITE

Ps. It takes a bigger company to realize when they made a mistake than to just tell its users they are holding it wrong..