Apple Hit By Class Action Lawsuit Over Broken iPhone 4 Glass

Comments

• nicacolo
    nicacolo Posts: 27
    via Wordpress
    No padding under your carpet?? I've dropped mine a number of times on my carpet, but of course I have a case on mine....
  • Wizkid
    Wizkid Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    This guy is looking for a quick buck. It's assumed that "normal" use leads to something getting broken. You dot go to a dealership or to a store and expect them to tell you "normal usage of this item will make it break" I own a iPhone 4 and have dropped ir plenty times...but I also have a case on it
  • Hmmm
    Hmmm Posts: 45
    via Wordpress
    It's an iphone thing. I have so many friends that have cracked iphones. I had to repair the screen on my 3gs. Now i have a galaxy s and its glass is a rock. youtube the videos on it. I have dropped it a few times on cement and not even a scratch. Should this guy when a law suit for a lot of money? NO.But apple shouldnt say that they have this amazing glass when its just not true. Apple should really switch to gorilla glass like everyone has been doing.You dont see a lot of people without smart phones walking around with cracked screens but you see tons with iphones.
  • PebsUK
    PebsUK Posts: 41
    via Wordpress
    Same thing happened to mine, the Apple Store replaced it free of charge "because I was honest about admitting I'd dropped it!"
  • Scrooge
    Scrooge Posts: 8
    via Wordpress
    I have a large a$$ and tight jeans. I put my iPhone for in my back-pocket once, and attempted to sit once but only bent down half-way. Glass broke.
  • iPhoneAddict
    iPhoneAddict Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Focus on the article, gay dufus! We don't care if you're f-ing first! This world is too sue-happy! I hope he loses!
  • annoyed iphone owner
    via Wordpress
    Well, Wide a$$... I DON'T have a wide a$$. I put my phone in my back pocket and regularly sit on it when getting into the car. Phone is perfect. Perhaps you should consider a DIET?! Just sayin'...
  • george
    george Posts: 88
    via Wordpress
    Every iPhone customer should gangbang Donald LeBufn's daughter and then jizzz on Donald's face!
  • maaseja
    maaseja Posts: 15
    via Wordpress
    It just says his daughter, nothing about her age. She could be your mom.
  • Smate
    Smate Posts: 6
    via Wordpress
    oh, old times, ****, I smashed my motorola 7200 into the ground several times, not a scratch, still have it somewhere in my garage. but these new "smart phones", pff, you drop them, and they explode like an egg, gimme a break, helicopter glass, ****'s designed to break if you just look at it too long...PAY UP THE BIG BUCKS!!!!
  • John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress
    Companies should be allowed to counter sue for idiotic lawsuits like this one. I hope apple does and make the guy pay for apple legal fees for wasting their time.Their warranty doesn't cover damage caused by the user, nor do they claim that the glass is unbreakable. Dropping a phone from any height is a user caused damage.
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    No case here as dropping can result in breakage.
  • Seshan
    Seshan Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    what case do you have?
  • rockstar
    rockstar Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    i dropped mine last night from about 2 feet it bounced once and no scratches or no glass brake...i have just $1.5 case on it but it survives...every iphone user should include screen protector and case as primary nesecity of iphone
  • Breezy
    Breezy Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    This class action lawsuit seems frivolous. Somebody dropped their iPhone it broke now they don't want to pay for it to be fixed. Honestly this wouldn't have happened if the iphone 4 was in a case. I have dropped my iPhone 4 multiple times from about 3 feet off the ground if not more and thanks to the case even when dropped on concrete my phone doesn't have a scratch! So I feel bad for the guy but he should have got a case for it! No matter what in the end the phone is made out of glass and even the toughest glass breaks!
  • Mak
    Mak Posts: 9
    via Wordpress
    This post maybe eligible for the most posts award!Going by the posts there seems to be a consensus that this Donald chap does not have a case. I beg to differ based on 2 main grounds, firstly -SquareTrade have concluded that iPhone is more accident prone then any other phone, came off worse over the 3GS Secondly, if Apple is to promote a feature to induce a sense of peace of mind, the glass is made off blah blah & glass is tough as blah blah, then the consumer should expect a certain level of shock/impact protection, again the consensus being a phone is likely to drop over it's lifetime. Furthermore, this is the most expensive phone out there in the Market, if Apple is allowed to expound at length and make claims the phone is durable, scratch resistant etc etc it should at least live upto that expectation. Is this case winnable? Not a chance. Is it fair? No! Apple should at least provide a low cost repair service for a shattered/broken screen.(as long as the phone is functional). Currently it costs over 20% of the iPhone value to repair it or have it replaced by Apple. Please, bear in mind, it is rumoured that the next iPhone, dubbed iPhone 5 will have tamper proof screws, 5 leaf clover type head, so any DIY repairs is a no no, otherwise you lose your warranty.
  • Q.p.
    Q.p. Posts: 8
    via Wordpress
    The tamper proof screws are already in iPhone 4 with iOS 4.2.1 that are shipped to AT&T.
  • locnar77
    locnar77 Posts: 6
    via Wordpress
    Dont feed the Trolls
  • lou
    lou Posts: 35
    via Wordpress
    ... and kits are all ready for sale that include a screwdriver to take out said tamper resistant screws.
  • lou
    lou Posts: 35
    via Wordpress
    To help with your blah blah blah .... From the website:"Advancements in the glass. And under it.Made from the same materials used in helicopters and high-speed trains, the Retina display glass is chemically strengthened to be harder, more scratch resistant, and more durable than ever. The glass also features an oil-resistant coating that helps keep the screen clean."Okay .. as a chemist let me tell you this .. I designed plastics for about 3 years. Working with the "same materials" I can make hard plastics and soft plastics. Brittle, Hard, scratch resistant, or soft, pliable, and nearly indestructible. POint is .. its all the same material. No where in the above statement from apple does it say unbreakable. The only legitimate statement is more scratch resistant. Not even scratch proof, but more resistant. The lesson we should all take away from this ... If your spending $500 on a phone, don't be a cheap ass... buy a case for $20
  • iphone 3gs
    iphone 3gs Posts: 12
    via Wordpress
    UR TELL ME I DROOPED MY 3GS AND THE SCREEN HAS GRAY LINES AND I EVEN HAD CASE AROUND IT APPLE GOT MAKE TOUGHER PHONE WTF THIS BULLSHIT IT GOING COST MORE THEN PHONE THE SCREEN
  • Jay1986
    Jay1986 Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    Dropped mine twice both times from about 4 ft. landed face first on screen and no damage. I have had horrible dreams of it breaking since tho.
  • FredFlin
    FredFlin Posts: 20
    via Wordpress
    First off, apple has deffinitely mislead users with this product more than any other device they've released. To claim the durability of the glass, then have numerous people claim its cracked is simply unacceptable but once again they will weasel themselves out of it. The antenna is still an existing problem apple just REFUSES to accept still exists after steve's bullshit attempts to distract users from the actual cause of signal dropping. Apple deserves as much bad PR as possible until they make some honorable decisions to rectify these issues they have so diligently ignored. On the other hand, I don't consider normal use to be dropping the phone from 3 feet.
  • FredFlin
    FredFlin Posts: 20
    via Wordpress
    I don't know where you buy your iphone casese, but 20 bucks will barely get you a decent case.. you're looking at more like 30-40
  • mike
    mike Posts: 489
    via Wordpress
    Since apple markets the iphone4 with "gorilla glass" and sighting how unbreakable and durable it is, yet it can easily shatter from a measily 3 foot drop, I believe there is a suit in false advertisement. Granted, people shouldnt be idiots with their phone and just buy a case. However, a piece of equipment that touts something called "gorilla glass" should be a little stronger than the fragile crap that is in the iphone4. my 2 sense
  • Calvin
    Calvin Posts: 8
    via Wordpress
    My 3GS slipped off my hand from about 2.5 feet with a case on and the glass shattered into million pieces! I have never dropped it before.
  • James M. Shih
    James M. Shih Posts: 9
    via Wordpress
    I got a sonim and threw it out from 8 floors height and it only got a small scratch on its corner and you call still make calls. However, they do claim they are the toughest phone in the world. I also have another Vertu Ascent Ti I bought 2 years ago before using iphones, you can pound on its glass, or the whole phone if you want and nothing happens. However, Vertu also claims the toughness of its glass. Iphone never claim it's made for dropping. They only said it's more scratch resistance. They are not made to be dropped. This law suit is a joke.
  • Smate
    via Wordpress
    well said Mak. Not sure if the non-usage of a phone case is the ultimate legal defense. I dislike cases for many reasons, esthetic, added weight, but most importantly the inability to use most cradles or docks. Look, the phone is beautiful, that's probably the main reason for consumers buying it, putting it in a case changes the whole deal. (Its kind of like we are giving up our civil liberties to preserve freedom in the states) The phone is designed to "slip and fall" so you eventually brake it and buy a new one. Its like they didn't put a camera in the iPad, but the nano 5 had one. Now soon you will see the new iPad and facetime and how "revolutionary" that is going to be, but at the end of the day you were just sat back on the tricky by me again consumer bandwagon. The phone should not require a case and should be more durable, but then again, how will Apple and the domino industry make billions in profit if they give it to you all?
  • Smate
    via Wordpress
    Here is Apple's claim:http://www.apple.com/iphone/design/index.html#design-videoArticle from their website:All the breakthrough technology in iPhone 4 is situated between two glossy panels of aluminosilicate glass — the same type of glass used in the windshields of helicopters and high-speed trains. Chemically strengthened to be 20 times stiffer and 30 times harder than plastic, the glass is "ultradurable" and more scratch resistant than ever. It’s also recyclable.I can see why are some consumers feeling mislead, after a simple drop looking at the shattered 20 times stiffer and 30 times harder then plastic "aluminosilicate glass"...
  • Bas
    Bas Posts: 5
    via Wordpress
    Although it's a shame that his phone broke after being dropped on the floor, this is yet another typical example of how the US law system holds back new developments and increases consumer prices for products. It's ridiculous that it's even possible to file a lawsuit for such an incident which in my country would be simply dismissed as bad luck, and use your common sense. Compare it to putting your wet cat in the microwave to dry and then sue the manufacturer for not mentioning that it will explode if you do that in the manual