AT&T Clamping Down On Unofficial iPhone Tethering

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageAT&T Clamping Down On Unofficial iPhone Tethering

OSXDaily reports that AT&T has started clamping down on the unofficial iPhone tethering using jailbreak apps like MyWi and TetherMe.

AT&T customers who have jailbroken their iPhone and using the tethering option unofficially are getting an email from AT&T stating that "records show that you use [tethering] but are not subscribed to our tethering plan."

Read the full story here

Comments

• J
    J Posts: 131
    via Wordpress
    how can they tell? besides the large usage of data. you suck att. waiting to jump ship to verizon. peace!
  • Sam
    Sam Posts: 218
    via Wordpress
    From everything that I've read, this is not necessarily going to users who use unofficial tethering, but rather to any AT&T user with extremely high data usage, tethering or otherwise. There are reports of users who are NOT jailbroken getting this message, and users who use MyWi or other tethering occasionally that are NOT getting this message. It would be much easier, and make much more sense, for AT&T to address customers with unlimited data plans who use massive amounts of data, rather than hunt down a very small percentage of customers using tethering lightly.Thoughts?
  • KS
    KS Posts: 14
    via Wordpress
    How do they know you are tethering or not?
  • See ya
    See ya Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    What are you waiting for? Bye
  • Investor
    Investor Posts: 16
    via Wordpress
    If you have UNLIMITED data, you should not have to change plans for using massive amounts of data. It's an UNLIMITED plan. That's ridiculous
  • antwan
    antwan Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    god bless rogers. free tethering with a 6gb data plan
  • Tom R
    Tom R Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
  • KS
    KS Posts: 14
    via Wordpress
    Agreed! I don't see they have a way to find out you are tethering by using MyWi, I have unlimited data and use 3.7GB/mo w/o tethering, mostly streaming music, netflix to my iphone.
  • bryan
    bryan Posts: 57
    via Wordpress
    thats crazy. They should all go like sprint and have a totally unlimited plan and when they say unlimited there is no cap like 5g,or whatever most people dont know they have on at&t until they go over and get hit with a big bill.
  • tethering
    tethering Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Unless they can let me keep the unlimited data, then i don't mind to pay $20 for tethering. otherwise, going to 6gb capped plan, screw it!!!
  • liltxctie
    liltxctie Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    Money hungry b*tches!!!
  • Wow...
    Wow... Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    Wow. If Sam statements are true then ATT are just being careless. From what I know, they can't technically know if you are sharing (tether). Unless they have a service running within your phone that detect tethered device MAC addresses that has been connected to your phone and then report it back to their server logs. It would be surprising if that really happen, cuz that would suck (privacy issues there). They will potentially lose a few customer as they lost me a while back due to their bad drop calls and false signal. Notice I said a few customers. Think about it. Now I'm not really sure on how many jailbroken phones are out there plus with wireless tether installed. It can't be a huge number where it hinders their whole network that would affect other customers. I highly doubt that. Perhaps it is in some cases. Remember ATT NETWORKS are patched together from a few merges (just a thought there). Unless they are actually hurting financially or just plain scaring people and plus getting a few bucks back. Gzzz.. I thought bullies existed in elementary schools only. It's a shame... You can thanks to Apple to for this as well. I'm not even going to start there.
  • adam
    adam Posts: 122
    via Wordpress
    I tether via MyWi to my iPad. I only tether maybe 1gb as I only surf the web and email while tethered normally. Haven't received an e-mail yet. I'm on an unlimited 30$ plan from a November '09. I'll definitely switch of they make me switch plans to a non-unlimited if I want to tether. Thats bullshit. My monthly data usage probably barely goes over 2gb but still.
  • geekinit
    geekinit Posts: 65
    via Wordpress
    They would have no idea unless they are eavesdropping on our http headers to determine user-agent which is probably illegal. I occasionally tether with mywi but not enough to warrant increasing my bill from $190 to $210. Good grief, AT&T. If this is true that your peaking on our data someones gonna sue you or make a lot of money securing a jailbreak tethering app.
  • Wite Boy
    Wite Boy Posts: 77
    via Wordpress
    obviously the contract, stupid
  • Benny isai
    Benny isai Posts: 6
    via Wordpress
    That really Sucks **** AT&T.There should be another way to tether with you're current plan.And besides it's not really all's AT&T or Verison it's more Apple's fault for creating a Hotspot on 4.3. Dammm Apple.
  • Flame Red
    Flame Red Posts: 42
    via Wordpress
    There was an article about T caping DSL users: http://www.cfnews13.com/article/news/ap/march/218592/ATT-caps-monthly-traffic-for-DSL-subscribersThere has been industry chatter about this for years, since some EU carries this is a common practice. The carriers are for profit - least we forget. Capitalism dictates you choose the best service for the lowest price.
  • geekinit
    via Wordpress
    I just found an app called Fake Web Browser on app store that allows you to change your user-agent. Either way, obsessive use or user agent, they could be automatically billing us for false charges given this is fact. Maybe Apple is blowing the whistle on tethering usage? Hmmmm
  • J-O
    J-O Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    This is B.S I got the same text, I have unlimited data why do they care how much or how I use it. Can't wait till the dev team comes out with an unlock so I can switch to t-mobile because I think is a verizon copycat n CDMA sucks ass
  • geekinit
    via Wordpress
    I think this is a hoax. I'm sorry but I know iPhone and I just don't see how this could be proven and/or automatically billed.
  • Rusty
    Rusty Posts: 12
    via Wordpress
    i know on vodafone in the uk they can recognise this and they charge u extra on top of your contract. i set it up for my mate and he was charged £5 for a few minutes use online.
  • iDroid7
    iDroid7 Posts: 36
    via Wordpress
    i got this email yesterday and posted it in another forum..if att try to charge me extra for my UNLIMITED data usage.. i will go to simple mobile...$60 unlimited talk text and web....(edge on iphone tho...due to the fact their data is on 1700mhz... like t-mobile. www.mysimplemobile.com
  • akri
    akri Posts: 47
    via Wordpress
    Hello fossil if you're reading this..;)
  • skilo0918
    skilo0918 Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    This is wrong, the reason for unlimited data is for unlimited use of their data plan, why do we have to pay more money for 4gb extra when you got unlimited data, one of the reason I got it was because I know I am a heavy user of their data service and I didn't want no worries of going over, I believe that this tethering feature should be free if you got unlimited data makes sense if they start charging people that has unlimited data for tethering they can be walking into a whole lot of problems like law suites and people leaving their company and going to verizon. If they knew the huge success of the iphone and how much data everybody uses why offer unlimited data and now try to force us to pay for something that should part of your unlimited data plan.
  • Chris
    Chris Posts: 736
    via Wordpress
    Looks like they are sending out notices to heavy users only, so if true all you have to do is call AT&T on their bullshit. Just claim you have no idea what they are talking about and they will take the issue off of your account. It probably wouldn't hurt to give the AT&T rep an earfull either, even though they have nothing to do with their company's bullshit, they won't like getting yelled at and they will tell their boss that this new policy sucks balls.
  • skilo0918
    skilo0918 Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    This is wrong, the reason for unlimited data is for unlimited use of their data plan, why do we have to pay more money for 4gb extra when you got unlimited data, one of the reason I got it was because I know I am a heavy user of their data service and I didn’t want no worries of going over, I believe that this tethering feature should be free if you got unlimited data makes sense if they start charging people that has unlimited data for tethering they can be walking into a whole lot of problems like law suites and people leaving their company and going to verizon. If they knew the huge success of the iphone and how much data everybody uses why offer unlimited data and now try to force us to pay for something that should part of your unlimited data plan.
  • melvarius
    melvarius Posts: 200
    via Wordpress
    I love how mobile network companies have redefined the meaning of "unlimited" to include erm... limits or that "fair useage Policy" chestnut. Someone should send a copy of a dictionary to their marketing departments. Sigh... I don't know. Some companies just love to take the piss out of their customers.
  • melvarius
    melvarius Posts: 200
    via Wordpress
    The 3 network in the UK has an "all you can eat data" package. It also allows tethering at no extra charge. As far as I'm aware all the other UK networks have been clamping down on users data allowances. 3 rocks!!! and it's the first time in 10 years that I've actually been happy with their service.I've almost forgiven them for dumping an iPhone 3G on me when I was expecting a 3Gs.
  • Thomas
    Thomas Posts: 125
    via Wordpress
    This could be the end of my AT&T relationship, time to check out Verizon
  • RelicS13
    RelicS13 Posts: 74
    via Wordpress
    AT&T have ninjas working for them....we're screwed....