AT&T Clamping Down On Unofficial iPhone Tethering

Comments

• RelicS13
    RelicS13 Posts: 74
    via Wordpress
    i work with phones pretty much all day.every time i get a verizon iphone i can never see anything good out of it, even with 3 bars on my att iphone its still faster then verizon with full bars, and again with the whole no talking and internet at the same time just kinda sucks
  • shea
    shea Posts: 0
    via Wordpress
    we're all getting screwed. somebody please invent something to render phone companies irrelevant..
  • shea
    shea Posts: 0
    via Wordpress
  • Djloono
    Djloono Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    At&t is super xpensive & now they wanna charge u more!! Im moving to verizon...at&t just want our money!!
  • Jason
    Jason Posts: 585
    via Wordpress
    I've been known to use about 100gb a month.... I'm suprized they haven't found me yet.
  • balls
    balls Posts: 7
    via Wordpress
  • Grime
    Grime Posts: 216
    via Wordpress
    If Jason pays for unlimited data then by golly, he should be able to use it however he sees fit.
  • Grime
    Grime Posts: 216
    via Wordpress
    I love the iphone, but what makes an iphone so great are the apps. If I could get it on t-mobile or sprint, or any other unlimited data carrier without restrictions I'd be much happier. Hell I'd buy another android, if they could make a working iphone emulator. If that was the case I could pretty much use with any carrier I choose and tell At&t to go.................
  • Jorge
    Jorge Posts: 125
    via Wordpress
    I got that email and I call them. They told they have the right to end my unlimited data plan if they find out i was tethering which I wasn't . They also said that from now on ,they will start monitoring my phone to see any tracks of tether . So is this legal?. I guess if the asswholes of wallstreet got away with billions from the government . Att will get what They want too
  • RockGrunt
    RockGrunt Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Hmm...I don't think that's legal for them to do. I'm sure that violates consumer privacy laws. Like somebody said earlier, not sure how they could track that unless they are tracking amount of data usage and that wouldn't tell them **** about whether you are tethering or not except that you are using a lot of data. Only way I can see is if they install some kind of mal-ware or spyware program on your phone to specifically track tethering and that I believe would be illegal. I smell a Class Action lawsuit on the horizon. LOL
  • crsurf
    crsurf Posts: 6
    via Wordpress
    this is the very reason that we took all 5of the iphone off the plan,, will only use then in costs rica where phone line an internet is about 15.00for unlimited everything ,, att suck big time
  • Chad
    Chad Posts: 26
    via Wordpress
    They can find out via the TTL. They expect a specific TTL to return to them at all times from your connection. If you're using the phone as a router through MyWi the TTL drops a bit and that's how they are able to find out. I'm sure there will be an app or update to MyWi that will mask the true TTL and all will be fine with the world again.
  • purplemaize
    purplemaize Posts: 19
    via Wordpress
    That really sucks for me... because I leave the 3G off and the WiFi on all the time with the teth.. that is how the phone was set. Oh well.. LOL I guess after my contract is up it is time to jailbreak the phone.
  • rebby
    rebby Posts: 19
    via Wordpress
    Apple iPhone 4 Firmware 4.3 for personal hotspot or switch to T-Mobile if you unlocked ur iPhone !!!
  • josemir da silva
    josemir da silva Posts: 35
    via Wordpress
    Sorry... BS.... no way you are using 4Gb a month just listening to music and video... unless you dont have a job and that is all that you do
  • josemir da silva
    via Wordpress
  • josemir da silva
    via Wordpress
    also it is called browser and OS tag.... does it say "iphone" on your web query ?
  • josemir da silva
    via Wordpress
    The whole unlimited thing just works until loosers like the dude above which eats 4gb a month show up and spoils for everyone.
  • the.dude
    the.dude Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    I have unlimited and hover anywhere between 3.5-6 GB per month, from my first bill. Just because some of us are data hogs does not make us the ones to blame it is "AT&T". May some of you should of signed up earlier if you knew the data you would use. The fact is that we are all paying for a service and that is what we should get. Because we don't call AT&T and say well this month I didn't go over 1gb so I'll only give you $10 ok. Weather we have unlimited or not we all must be concerned. We need to email/mail/call AT&T before it happens to us and voice our concerns. I haven't register any kind of letter or email yet but I already emailed them and calling them tomorrow. I will not have that as I won't be surpriced if I get it soon.It oh takes afew of us to get screwed before we all get it.But it also takes afew of us to make a difference before we all do it.Just how they have the right to drop our unlimited data or sign us up for their pricie tethering without consent. We have the right to change providers and class action sue their asses. Jailbreaking "IS" legal in the US. I use the my unlimited data for any and everything. I personally do a lot of Ramote Access and repair. Video conferencing and just video chatting with the family, netflix, pandora, and some steam gaming every now and again.I am on the road constantly.I don't use mywi, but I was recently thinking about getting it, mainly to facilitate things a bit, but have been able to be ok with regular USB tethering "itether" toy laptop, and conecfion sharing to my iPad if needed as it's not too complicated (iPhone USB tethering/PC connection sharing/IPad), maiy to not kill my phone battery in a heart beat. But I was thinking of mywi an still keep it plugged. But May just wait for an update if it ever arives.
  • Zang
    Zang Posts: 153
    via Wordpress
    You didn't see the netflix point did you stupid?Netflix is used for movies as well... While I agree music itself wont use ~3.8gb of data, streaming movies AND music very well could easily get over that limit.The few cartoons and shows I watch weekly nets around ~1.5-2gb multiply by 4 for watching the whole month and then can easily see it reaching at min if a show is on break or delayed ~6gb or ~8gb if not.So actually his estimates aren't bad, you just can't comprehend data at all as most likely don't use streaming apps or get movies from apps etc.
  • Zang
    Zang Posts: 153
    via Wordpress
    The more I keep readin what you say the more I think your an idiot.Someone mentioned using 100gb, and your complaining about 4gb?Another example from me, my business uses more than 1gb a day sometimes 2-3gb. So for god sakes, 4gb is not a lot.What about the fact some apps like Rage are around 800mb? You get that on first day, maybe eternal legacy and a few other high graphic games, and boom, your over 4gb very quickly. Then with the updates they bring? Woah, a lot more than 4gb is easily doable each month.Idiot.
  • Rion
    Rion Posts: 14
    via Wordpress
    C'mon guys, let's hop to another carrier!
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    What is wrong with ATT, what losers!
  • hxclos
    hxclos Posts: 353
    via Wordpress
    I just looked at my past 6 months with AT&T and also average that. My job involves driving so I use Pandora and Maps all the time. When I'm out I'm constantly checking my Twitter, Facebook or watching videos on YouTube. I rarely use Netflix on my iPhone since I have an AppleTV and xbox at home but have on occasion. I don't tether but was interested in doing so since I have the new wifi iPad and our school campus' Internet is ridiculously slow. I'm going to monitor my usage and try tethering. If I get a message from AT&T, I'll stop but if they decide to start charging, I will give them hell.
  • melvarius
    melvarius Posts: 200
    via Wordpress
    Look up the dictionary dude. Unlimited = without limits.I'd say 4GB is erm... a tad on the "limited" side.e-mail me and I'll give you unlimited access to my bank account. BTW if you withdraw more than a dollar you will be charged $40,000. (what? it works for AT&T)Go on pig out on $1.01 whilst I look at holiday destinations lol. Dumb Ass lol xx
  • iDroid7
    iDroid7 Posts: 36
    via Wordpress
    If att changes ur plan without ur concent that would mean they have breech their contract. So u should be able to cancel them without paying the penalty. $350 Time to hop over to simple mobile
  • Jason
    via Wordpress
    Its not my fault. U should blame your mom for sending me all those stickcam vids...
  • Jason
    via Wordpress
    My problem is that no one comes close to at&t speed where i am. I couldn't hop the fence if i wanted to. Now that they offer 4G, its just a matter of me getting a 4G device and getting even faster speeds. I get a solid 705kps down and 142 up with at&t ala speedtest.
  • fullylocked
    fullylocked Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    I would love to see they try that with the unlimited data plans. since I first came to at&t and got my iphone 3g my data usage has been high cause thats why i have unlimited data. if they try I hope that they are ready for the law suit that will be coming their way!
  • LGK
    LGK Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    It's now called limited unlimited service.BS!!!