AT&T Explains Throttling Unlimited Data Users at 2GB Of Monthly Usage

Options
13»

Comments

• Mn
    Mn Posts: 5
    via Wordpress
    Options
    No worries AT&T just waiting for tmobile to offer the iPhone. I will be leaving soon.
  • John McIntire
    John McIntire Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Absolutely. You'd never see anything like that happen here in Australia either. That would be a complete and utter breach of the law. Cant believe the things companies can get away with in other countries. 2GB is the standard FREE internet provided with a lot of mobile plans here.
  • A Black Dude
    A Black Dude Posts: 167
    via Wordpress
    Options
    but they arent abusing the service...thats the point of this article.
  • TTitans
    TTitans Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    Options
    http://www.change.org/petitions/att-data-throttlehere's a site where everyone should get on and sign this petition. someone already started it. now we just need everyone to quit sign it to get at&t attention on this matter.
  • melvarius
    melvarius Posts: 200
    via Wordpress
    Options
    How can you abuse the service if you have an unlimited data plan. If they do not have the infrastucture to support such an offer it should never have been marketed to customers. Perhaps AT&T might consider throttling at peak periods and removing the throttle at all other times.
  • William
    William Posts: 36
    via Wordpress
    Options
    COUNT ME IN I SMELL CLASS-ACTION I FEEL THAT SOMEONE SHOULD PUSH FOR ONE BECAUSE AT&T AND OTHER CELL PHONE COMPANIES ARE ADDING AMENDMENTS TO THE CONTRACTS THAT WERE ALREADY SIGNED AND PEOPLE DID NOT AGREE ABOUT THE ADD-ON'S. I DID READ THAT THE CONTRACT CAN BE CHANGED AT ANY TIME BUT IT DOES NOT MEAN THAT PEOPLE AGREE ABOUT THE CHANGES . I THINK A FEW LAWYERS SHOULD COME TOGETHER AND SUE AT&T BECAUSE THEY ARE STARTING TO STEAL MONEY FROM PEOPLE VIA CONTRACT CHANGES = FEE INCREASE AND DATA CAPS AND DATA LIMITS. I AM A BUSINESS PERSON AND FROM THE MANY CONTRACTS I HAVE READ WHEN DOING BUSINESS I MAKE SURE THAT WHAT I AM READING IS EXACTLY WHAT IT MEANS AND MAKE SURE THAT THE WORDING CAN NOT OR HAS ANY OTHER MEANING AND THE LAST TIME I CHECK UNLIMITED MEANS UNLIMITED . IT DOES NOT MEAN 5 GIG OR 10 GIG IT MEANS UNLIMITED . I THINK THIS COULD BE A GOOD CASE AND THE ARGUMENT CAN BE HEY THE INTERNET DATA IS RICH AND DEMANDS MORE DATA AND BANDWIDTH AND YOU ARE CHANGING WORDS OF THE CONTRACTS TO MEET YOUR NEEDS AND TO ADD FEES AND DEMAND MORE MONEY FROM PEOPLE . IF YOU CAN NOT MEET THE DEMAND OF THE PEOPLE THEN YOU SHOULD NOT SELL WHAT YOU CANT SUPPORT . I CANT WAIT FOR THE GOVT TO CHARGE PEOPLE FOR AIR AND ALL THE SUDDEN TO CHARGE PEOPLE MORE MONEY IF THEY ARE RUNNING INSTEAD OF WALKING BECAUSE YOU ARE USING MORE AIR .
  • PDADoc
    PDADoc Posts: 4
    via Wordpress
    Options
    I've seen this before: Years ago, we were on a Verizon DSL plan, and while it wasn't as fast as cable, it was fast enough for us, and very cheap! About five years ago or so, our connection speeds slowed down to about 56k speeds out of nowhere. When I contacted customer service to inquire about the slowdown, the rep claimed to know nothing about it and said the system was fine and suggested that the error was on our end. After much investigation, we determined that our lines were fine and we were only about 500 feet from the nearest switching station.After many such calls and back-and-forth, the rep suggested oh-so-innocently that we should switch over to their new service called FiOs, that it was faster, more reliable, but it cost more, a LOT more! We declined at the time and said we'd look into it and think about it.It was about that time we found out that others had the same problem and had been offered the same option, switch to FiOs. We switched to Cablevision and never looked back, and swore we'd never use Verizon for anything again!This sounds like very much the same bait-and-switch tactic to me. I'm keeping my grandfathered unlimited plan; I don't abuse it, use barely 600MB a month, and the only thing I stream is TuneInRadio Pro on occasion. This is getting worse, and something has to be done!
  • Scott
    Scott Posts: 164
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Just wait till the 4g iPhone comes out and they tell us that we need a new data plan to get 4g. That is how they will get their way.
  • steph
    steph Posts: 6
    via Wordpress
    Options
    i have called them numerous times in the past 3 days b*tching and complaining non stop about this, and while i took it as being illegal and discrimination against people with unlimited data plans they simple stated that in the contract, it states that they reserve the right to "modify" your data at any time for any reason. trust me i am working on everything i can right now to get the hell out of my contract without paying them. but in the meantime i am using a lot of my unlimited data just to piss them off even more. i used to only use around 1 or 2 GB of data a month but in december i upped it to 17.3 GB, and 8GB in january and so far im at 7 GB, and only 11 days into my new month. so in the meantime im using my unlimited data as much as i can, granted the service blows at my house so i am somewhat limited anyways. but yes At&t is by far the worst cell phone company i have ever dealt with, i cant believe that they can even get away with not guaranteeing you any type of service, that right there should be illegal that a cell phone company can sell you a plan and lock you into its contract without guaranteeing you anything, even verizon will let you out if there service s*cks. but in other words dont bother with trying to b*tch about the data speeds being throttled it just wont work, they dont care. i say we just burn the mother effers down and do the world a favor by ridding it of At&t!!!! :)
  • steph
    steph Posts: 6
    via Wordpress
    Options
    William, here is a question for you, if you understand "legal terms"im trying to get out of my contract with At&t, and i have found that if they make anytype of change in their contract, fees, etc. then they must notify you and you have 30 days to opt out of your contract without paying ETF, but could you take a quick look at this and tell me if this is a qualifying change to the contract that i may disagree with and be able to leave, WIRELESS EMERGENCY ALERTS NOTICE, Part 1AT&T has chosen to offer wireless emergency alerts within portions of its service area, as defined by the terms and conditions of its service agreement, on wireless emergency alert capable devices. There is no additional charge for these wireless emergency alerts. (More information below) WIRELESS EMERGENCY ALERTS NOTICE, Part 2 Wireless emergency alerts may not be available on all devices or in the entire service area, or if a subscriber is outside of the AT&T service area. To see the full FCC-required notice, please go to http:/www.att.com/gen/public-affairs?pid… (this site explains the whole ordeal, but i just dont understand any of it.) your help would be very much appreciated, thank you :)
  • adam
    adam Posts: 122
    via Wordpress
    Options
    It is to my understanding of law, that once two parties agree on and sign a contract, it cannot be altered/modified/changed. If this isnt the case then one could make a contract with someone that says ill pay you 30$ a day, then after the 'someone' signs it, change it to say that that 'someone' pays me 30$ a day instead. What AT@T is doing IS breaking the law. And guess what? Their throttling my friend as well as I in the city of Rocky River, Oh. And let me tell you what, trying watching a 30 sec long youtube video takes a literal 1 minute 47 sec to load. This bullshit needs to stop. This is UNAMERICAN! I mean my 3g speed is slower then 56k dialup! try going to the speedtest.net website on your phone and see the results of your 3g.
  • adam
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Also i will gladly join a Class-action lawsuit.~Adam Vargo
  • adam
    via Wordpress
    Options
    can i get an Amen on that last part!!!!
  • mike
    mike Posts: 489
    via Wordpress
    Options
    I want to join in the lawsuit. I'm being throttled at 1.5GB and I am paying $30/mo which is equivalent to their 3GB fullspeed.
  • Kevin
    Kevin Posts: 154
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Your contracts don't allow for a class action suit. Everything I've read states we have to go through arbitration, and if not resolved small claims court. It's my opinion that EVERYONE should start this process very soon, there is plenty of information out there disproving att's claims. #attfail
  • Billy
    Billy Posts: 39
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Also here is a link to someone who took them to small claims court over the throttling and won. The more people that drop the unlimited data plan, the closer everyone else gets to the 5%. http://publikdemand.com/d/at-t/at-t-unlimited-data-plan-throttling/b15701ea-5f73-11e1-ac7b-123139154af2
  • Contasion
    Contasion Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Well not exactly- the exact terms that allow throttling state:AT&T reserves the right to (i) deny, disconnect, modify and/or terminate Service, without notice, to anyone it believes is using the Service in any manner prohibited or whose usage adversely impacts its wireless network or service levels or hinders access to its wireless network," so prove that if I'm using even 100-200GB a month that I am impacting or damaging your system. They cannot. They also very much overcharge for data. Install dataman free and compare to what AT&T says