Step by Step Guide to Downgrade from iPhone Firmware 2.0 to iPhone Firmware 1.1.4

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
Step by Step Guide to Downgrade from iPhone Firmware 2.0 to iPhone Firmware 1.1.4

If you have upgraded your first generation iPhone to iPhone firmware 2.0 by mistake and have SIM locked it, then don't worry as some clever folks have figured out a way to downgrade back to iPhone firmware 1.1.4 so that you can unlock it again for SIM freedom. All you...

Read the full story here

Comments

• leonardo sanchez
    leonardo sanchez Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Woks fine!

if anyone need the zipphone patched, mail me
    mrtabsq@gmail.com

• Joe
    Joe Posts: 450
    via Wordpress

Hi everyone..I had itunes 7.7 and tried restoring and unlocking a 1st gen iphone. I didn't realize I would also get the 2.0 firmware. I uninstlled itunes 7.7 and reinstalled 7.5. Then reflashed the firmware to1.14 I have everything working except it doesn't show any bars and I can't make a call. although 911 does work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Hey Joe,

It appears that you have not activated your iPhone. If you are using AT&T then you will need to activate it using iTunes. If you had unlocked your iPhone, then you will need to use one of the softwares mentioned above to activate and unlock the iPhone.

cheers!

• Jamie
    Jamie Posts: 23
    via Wordpress

to get my service back i restored 1.1.4 twice and then ran the patched ziphone baseband downgrader twice and it kicked it back on. for some reason 1 try was not enough. not sure if this will help you

• V4
    V4 Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

For all those that do not want to downgrade to 7.5, want the easiest solution, please read below as I have figured out a way that makes the 'downgrade' process much easier.

I first found the problem with my iPhone upgrade to 2.0, as many did, that it required a re-activation, and most of us with unlocked sims don't have a cingular account.

Solution was to downgrade to 1.1.4 again, however, like most the upgrade was done using the leaked 5a347 (1.2, 2.0) file. This file, as we now know, is a 3G only file, therefore locking the iTunes to a 160X or a 101X error, restore mode freeze, and unable to recover even in DFU mode.

For those that did get it to work (Such as the post one below this) do no longer have the carrier logo, under settings will not have the Carrier option, and can only use 911 for calling. This is due to the 4_05_04G (3G band) baseband not being restored when you successfully downgraded (I had this problem also)

Any attempt now, to use Pwnage tool or ZiPhone or any number of tools yielded a re-frozen phone, or one that the programs just could not find (ZiPhone gives the 'restore mode' and then stops functioning)

This is the workaround for that problem if you may have it. Please read below.

Please not that the disclaimer for this is set forth here and any problems you may encounter with your iPhone or computer following these steps is your own responsibility and I or iPhoneHacks is not reliable for those results.

Now then, let's proceed:

First, this process does not require that you downgrade to iTunes 7.7, although you may if it does not work the first time (but it is not necessary) to begin with.

To start, place your phone into DFU mode:
    1. connect your phone to the computer via USB
    2. push and hold both the Home and Power buttons for 10 seconds
    3. release the power button 3 seconds after the screen goes black, but continue to hold the power button until iTunes loads with the 'Recovery' option popup
    4. This is DFU Mode.

Once this occurs, click the OK on the popup and then click (while holding option for mac, or shift for windows) the Restore key, this allows you to choose your .IPSW recovery file
    Choose the (1.1, 2.0) IPSW file ( firmware link posted in iPhoneHacks.com article: http://www.iphonehacks.com/2008/07/iphonefirmwar-1.html#more )

The recovery procedure should proceed and continue without problems. IF you do get the error 160X or 101X then reset your phone to DFU mode and try again.

After the recovery is successful, you will have a 2.0 phone (Still SIM locked) that is unusable. AWESOME.

Now, since this is the 1.1 version and not 1.2 iTunes 7.7 will not freak out when you try to restore it to 1.1.4, go ahead and DFU -> Restore in iTunes with 1.1.4 IPSW and then your phone should be back to normal..

After this, you need to use Pwnage tools to boot neuter your still 2.0 baseband to 1.1.4 (4.6 or 3.9) and then your phone will be able to make calls again.

Hope that helps those that downgraded but could not dial!!

-V4

• Travis
    Travis Posts: 35
    via Wordpress

can someone please tell me why after installing itunes 7.5 a message pops up saying "the file iTunes Library.itl cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of itunes." also i did uninstall 7.7 before downloading and installing 7.5

• V4
    via Wordpress

A couple of mistakes:

1. DFU process, step 3 - let go of the power button and hold the home button after 10 seconds. Sorry.

Your feedback on this procedure is appreciated, you can contact me at v4invictus@gmail.com for questions.

Thanks.

• jsthelping
    jsthelping Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

v4, you have to go into your documents/music/itunes file and delete the iTunes Library file.... afterwards, all should be well.. good luck

• Weldon
    Weldon Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I am having this error message: The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (20).
    I followed both procedures, but all came to the same error message.
    Could anyone shed some light?
    Thanks!

• V4
    via Wordpress

Weldon,

Most likely your phone is not in DFU mode, that is what error 20 signifies.

If it didn't work in 7.7 try it in iTunes 7.5 to restore to the 1.1, 2.0 and then 1.1.4

Jsthelping, not sure what that has to do with this procedure, you only need to delete your iTunes library if you have a 7.5 downgrade from 7.7 (incompatible version files) but if that worked for you, Sweet! add it in.

-V4

• Jay
    Jay Posts: 295
    via Wordpress

I had accidentally upgraded to 2.0 and then did everything on here to get it to 1.1.4, unlocked it and all, and then i put in the sim card and it just shows like one bar with no carrier name on the side, and then the carrier thing is missing under settings.

Basically i cant call from this

Plz help me out, leave me a mail at Jaycraigs42@yahoo.com,

I AM NEW TO THIS SO PLZ Bear with me, thank you very much guys.

• JTblhsfball
    JTblhsfball Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I CANNOT downgrade to 7.5, and I don't know which files I need to delete to get rid of 7.7... any help?

• Dalamar
    Dalamar Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I've tried following the instructions and the damn iphone will not downgrade and allow me to access the springboard

- restored 1.1.4 + winpwn - FAIL
    - restored 1.1.4 + ziphone - FAIL
    - restored 1.1.4 + liberty - FAIL

None of these applications fixed my bricked iphone. Sorry to tell everyone the downgrade instructions don't work.

• Jonnnnnnnnn
    Jonnnnnnnnn Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I have downgraded to iTunes 7.5, and installed 1,1_2.0. But every time I try to downgrade again to 1,1_1.1.4 I get the error 20 thing!

Ahhhhhhh. Ima noob at this kinda stuff, someone please help!

• Verb Wit
    Verb Wit Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

After 12 or so hours of trying different things, this method kind of worked for me, but I did some things differently.

I had an first gen Iphone, I guess its called. Not a 3g. I did this on windows Xp sp2.

1st.
    I used total uninstaller to uninstall i tunes 7.7. This usually does a pretty good job of unistalling programs and cleaning up the left behind crap.

So after that I had to reboot my computer.

(Yes I am one of those people that will never reboot my computer because I hate waiting for anything. But in this case, after messing with this phone all day, I made sure to do everything by the book. You should do the same thing when troubleshooting that way you can repeat your steps exactly and actually know eliminate possible issues from your problem solving.)

2.Computer restarts, I have Zone Alarm Pro installed on my computer, which monitors when programs are trying to connect to the internet. So I turned the settings way up on this to make sure I would know every program that was trying to access the internet. I wasn't sure if I wanted itunes to be able to phone home.

3. I installed itunes 7.5, I believe it did try to phone home, and I blocked it, and then it wouldn't continue with the install, so I unblocked it, and as soon as it was finished installing I blocked it again.

4.I tried to start itunes but got a message popping up saying "the file iTunes Library.itl cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of itunes."

5. I used the windows search function to search for Library.itl, and it popped right up and I deleted it.

6.I started I tunes 7.5, it did register my iphone, but said I needed to restore it. I had the screen up with the "slide to make emergency call, and the usb cord and the itunes symbol. I read that I needed to be in dfu mode, and this was not dfu mode.

7. So I put it in DFU mode. I am not going to explain what that is, I read what it is on alot of posts, if you follow the instructions, its not difficult.

8.So now I was in dfu mode, so I hit shift+restore in itunes to bring up the dialog that asks me what ipsw file do I want to use.

9.I seleceted "iPhone1,1_1.1.4_4A102_Restore.ipsw." don't remember when I got it from but I am sure you can find it if you look on the net.

10. It went through the restore process and did and everything it was supposed to do, and then I got a 1015 error, which from reading post, I read that this was okay.

the first few times I tried this, I got different errors that different posts said were not alright. So I would leave it alone, go curse the world and then come back and try later. I don't know why it worked this time, but it did, and it definitely wasnt on the first time. I had also installed and unistalled itunes 7.5 twice throughout the day.
    so if this happens to you and you get the wrong type of error after the restore. I would recommend trying it a few times before you take a long walk off a short cliff. I am just as impatient as the next guy, but you have to just keep trying.

So then I used the program winpwn, because it some post it said at this stage in the game, I should use it. so I did.

12.In winpwn 1.0 I clicked on the browse .ipsw button and then I browsed to the same file I used for the restore in itunes, "iPhone1,1_1.1.4_4A102_Restore.ipsw". I had also downloaded some other versions of the .ipsw, earlier versions, and ipwner basically told me it didnt know what the hell I was talking about. So anyways, I used iPhone1,1_1.1.4_4A102_Restore.ipsw and clicked okay. It said a few things in the winpwn dialog box and then I new it was ready for me to hit the ipwner button.

13. So I hit the button and it said quote
    "
    Ramdisk successfully created
    7/14/2008 3:35:13 AM - Sending ramdisk to iPhone.
    7/14/2008 3:35:17 AM - Transfer took 3750ms
    7/14/2008 3:35:17 AM - Modifying environment...
    7/14/2008 3:35:17 AM - Starting pwnage
    7/14/2008 3:35:26 AM - iPhone left recovery mode
    7/14/2008 3:36:07 AM - iPhone entered recovery mode
    7/14/2008 3:36:07 AM - Your iPhone has entered recovery after pwning!
    "
    when I got to this point on another computer I was using, ipwner would crash everytime I hit the ipwner button. So on this other computer of mine it worked.

(yes the times next to the above quoted text are right, and I am on eastern standard time. I finally was making progress at 3am in the morning. So yes sometimes it will take a lot of work and time.)

14. So the last line told me that it went back into recovery mode after if finshed pwning(by the way, I have no freekin clue what pwning stands for, nor do I care, so if you don't know, your a rockstar like me.) Anyways, I thought to myself,"back in recovery mode, Im screwed, drats, foiled again. Time to sell it on ebay, lol. j/k"

In one of my previous attempts, when I got to this stage, I was told by many posts, that I needed to knock my phone out of recovery mode here, and by the looks of things, it was still in recovery mode, so i used ziphone, ibrkr, and I liberty all at the same time(literally!), I used their various functions to kick it out of recovery mode. Needless to say this method did not work, but at 2 or 3 am, I was willing to sacrifice bricking my iphone.

15.Anyways, so now, I have done the ipwner thing but it put my phone back in recovery mode, I thought i was screwed blah blah blah, but I wasn't. I actually used Ziphone 3.0 and clicked on the Do it all button and let it do its thing.

I had used on Ziphone on a previous iphone so I thought I knew how it worked, as far as how long things should take. When I used it on this iphone at this stage in the game it took longer for the words to scroll down the screen and for the it to actally unlock the phone, I kept thinking it was frozen. But here is the KEY

A WATCHED POT DOESNT BOIL.

I literally flipped my iphone over and did not look at it. Previously as I counted the seconds go by and my iphone magic wasn't working, I did things like unplugging it, restarting it, or running multiple programs at the same time, when I shouldn't be "see step 14 for anecdote." Waiting sucks, but once again, I would urge you to be patient, it even says on Ziphone, if this takes longer than 10 minutes then something is wrong. Well it didn't take longer than ten minutes but it was close, but it didn't even seem that long because I didn't look at the phone every 2 seconds like I had been doing all day.

So next thing I know, I hear the usb chime on my computuer, the phone cuts off and cuts back on and, Voila!!, it works, I put atnt sim card in and I was ready to go.

note****************** the installer app was not on the phone when I finished, but after going through this all day, I could care less. I know I can install things later, "without upgrading"

Well thats it now I am going to go to sleep and wake up tommorrow and with my luck the 2.0 hack will be out.

Good luck to you all.

• Bryon Brock
    Bryon Brock Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

You can grab iTunes 7.6.2 (the last one befre 7.7) at http://www.iphone-hacks.com/downloads/category/2 just select mac or windows.

• Jenna
    Jenna Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

hmmm I think most of the post are base on try/error tactic. So I might as well try few tatic. I have two iphones which got bricked on purpose, one 2g and the other is 3g. I managed to brick out using v4's method but I failed with 2g one. At this point i tried every method but nothing worked. As a final try out I turned off internet connection and did downgrade itune + downgrade firwmare 1.1.4 + liberty and it worked like a charm! yay :D

• Louis
    Louis Posts: 180
    via Wordpress

soooo many solutions I don't know which one to choose but all in all 2.0 is not so stable... I just did my first restore yesterday since 2.0 crashed... None of my apps worked... when I clicked them they'd open and then flicker out..so having experienced that with my new phone out of the I don't see why I can't try the above when I get home...apple may say it's not 2.0 but perhaps one of the applications purchased that's conflicting..

• mimi
    mimi Posts: 15
    via Wordpress

Hi I have a related question. I'm going to sell my old iPhone but I wanted to sell it unlocked and jailbroken (to fetch a little more $). I never upgraded it to 2.0, so that wasn't a problem. My question is: After restoring my phone to factory settings (1.4) I used ZiPhone's custom options and selected "unlock" and "jailbreak." I did NOT select "activate". ZiPhone ran without errors, and no errors popped up on the iPhone, for all intents and purposes, it looked like it worked. When it was done, though, it shows an "awaiting activation" message. I don't know anyone on T-Mo whose sim card I can borrow to test that it's unlocked. How do I know that it's really unlocked and that it doesn't require ATT activation? (I can tell the JB part worked b/c it installed Installer, etc). I wrote ZiPhone himself but he didn't get back to me.

Anyone who has done this or has insight, much appreciated, thanks!

• JFA
    JFA Posts: 20
    via Wordpress

If downgrading it is important no to forget to fully uninstall 7.7 (or borrow a fresh PC/MAC that has never installed 7.7).

Don't forget to downgrade the baseband on your iPhone. You can use KiPhone
    http://iphone-freak.com/en/page1/page1.html

I would write my own procedure but I would add more confusion to this matter.

This is a great guide that WORKS done by BigBoss:
    http://sleepers.net/news/?page_id=216

• Greg Calig
    Greg Calig Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Will 3G and GPS work if you downgrade to 1.1.4?

• A.T
    A.T Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

How dumb do you have to be upgrade to 2.0 if your not on official contract and unlocked.

• Danny
    Danny Posts: 91
    via Wordpress

hey does anyone have sure answer that helps with iphone not abloe to restore error(20)

• Cristian
    Cristian Posts: 11
    via Wordpress

Hey so i tried v4's method and still no signal, this is really irritation because i cant use my phone :s

• Travis
    Travis Posts: 35
    via Wordpress

christian u can just download kiphone AKA ziphone patch and downgrade the baseband and bootloader and after u do that restore ur iphone and it should work

• Jimmy
    Jimmy Posts: 80
    via Wordpress

error 20 mean you did not put the iPhone in dfu mode correctly.

To start, place your phone into DFU mode:
    1. connect your phone to the computer via USB
    2. push and hold both the Home and Power buttons for 10 seconds
    3. release the power button 3 seconds after the screen goes black, but continue to hold the power button until iTunes loads with the 'Recovery' option popup
    4. This is DFU Mode.

• Dave Hyams (iCrash)
    via Wordpress

Right, I made a huge mistake and upgraded (as we all did)and have now ruined my company iPhone.

I am slowly ruining myself without this phone and I am absolutly desperate to get it sorted. As fas as im aware I have followed everything on this forum to the letter and i still have a phone that cant aquire a signal nor a carrier.

After completly wiping iTunes and the Apple update (because i kept getting error 1601) I managed to get the 1.1 files from this site on and then finally the 1.4 (after a lot of hard work) with a 1015 error, normal. Great. No worries.
    Tried to downgrade bootloader with Zi, said it finished. Completed, Still no joy. Tried the erase 3.9 baseband in zi. Completed, No joy. Tried to winpwn my phone, completed. No joy.

If someone can help I would much apreciate it. Im loosing business right left n centre.

Please, I beg you.

Dave

legendofdave@hotmail.com if you want to mail me or post here.

• maria
    maria Posts: 10
    via Wordpress

I'm in the same boat as Dave, I have tried every approach listed, have downgraded the firmware, but am unable to acquire a signal. HELP!!!

• Coushti
    Coushti Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Worked great for me. I got the 1015 error and then said i still need to do a recovery. I just closed itunes and ran iLiberty. Now my phone is unlocked and jailbroken.

• Coushti
    Coushti Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

ps I used the 7.5 method.