Step-by-Step Guide to Jailbreak iPhone 3G running Firmware 2.2.1 using QuickPwn 2.2.5 (Mac)

Comments

• Shep
    Shep Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Thanks for the tutorial. Worked great on a iPhone 3g already running 2.2.1 via mac os x 10.5.6

• Angela L.
    Angela L. Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Exactly the same for me, but then my iphone went cannot be powered on again! What the heck is wrong?

• khayz yuson
    khayz yuson Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

how long does it take 2 reboot? im stuck at "quickpwn is about to run on your iphone 3g" help anyone pls

• khayz yuson
    khayz yuson Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

how long did it take u 2 make it work mine hanged :S

• Evan
    Evan Posts: 17
    via Wordpress

I have Mac OS X 10.5.6 and didn't realize this until after my iPhone was put into DFU mode and iTunes won't recognize it anymore and it won't even turn on! Is there a way to reverse the whole thing or is my iPhone permanently useless?

• Evan
    Evan Posts: 17
    via Wordpress

Sorry, it turned back on
    I guess I just had to hold the home and power button and iTunes recognizes it now.

I'm gonna sound really stupid but what exactly is a USB hub?
    And if I use a USB hub to jailbreak my iPhone will I have to use it after that? (Say, I want to sync to iTunes)

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Hey Evan,

Here is the Wikipedia link about USB hub for your reference:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hub

The only reason you need the USB hub is to get your Mac (running OS X
    10.5.6) to recognize your iPhone in DFU mode which is an important step to
    jailbreak your iPhone. After jailbreaking your iPhone, you don't need the
    USB hub.

• Jen
    Jen Posts: 16
    via Wordpress

I'm on a Mac, so I used PwnageTool rather than QuickPwn; I've tried to Jailbreak my iPhone 4-5 times now and I get as far as it telling me, "Successfully entered DFU Mode! Close the Pwnage ToolApplication, start iTunes, and restore with your firmware bundle". At the same time that popped up, I got another popup that said, "An iPod has been detected, but it could not be identified properly. Please disconnect and reconnect the iPod, then try again. An unknown error ocurred (1621)." So I did what they said, and after reconnecting my iPhone and restarting iTunes, I get another popup that says, "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes." (Hit OK)
    The only option it gives me is to restore, and when I hit that, I get another popup that says, "Are you sure you want to restore the iPhone "iPhone" to its factory settings? All of your media and other data will be erased. and the newest version of the iPhone software will be installed. After the process is complete, you will have the option to restore your contacts, calendars, text messages, and other settings." ("Cancel" or "Restore and Update") If I cancel, it does nothing, but if I restore & update, it'll do just that, and reinstall everything I had on it before trying to jailbreak it (from my backup files)but it won't put any of the new stuff on (Cydia, etc). Once it has completed that task, my iPhone is all updated and restored and then it tells me that "An updat to the carrier settings for you iPhone is available. Would you like to install it now?" ("Cancel" or "Update Settings") If I cancel, it will show the screen to set up my iPhone, either as a new iPhone or using backup files. I chose the option of using the backup, because I don't want to risk losing all my Apps & info that I had on there before trying to jailbreak. So I hit "continue" and after a while, about half an hour, it restored everything that was on there, minus the new stuff I wanted to have on it, so it does not seem like it is recognixing the new stuff :(

What am I doing wrong? I have the latest version of iTunes (8.whatever it is), I have the latest firmware and am using the iPhone1,22.2.1_5H11_Custom Restore.ipsw file. My iMac is v10.4.11

• JC
    JC Posts: 55
    via Wordpress

Make sure to disregard iTunes if it opens and with the message about detecting an iPhone in recovery mode. Just click OK and then Quit iTunes. When you re-open iTunes it will recognize your phone as normal

• Bob
    Bob Posts: 183
    via Wordpress

i have used the latest leopard version and it has worked like charm for me

• dlf10@hotmail.com
    via Wordpress

All worked great for me using the instructions above.

Also applying this:
    http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/74278878/close-the-stable-door
    and/or
    http://www.iphonehacks.com/2009/01/pwnagetool-225-and-quickpwn-225-for-iphone-firmware-221-released-for-mac-users.html#more

I don't want to unlock my iphone in the near future so I went ahead with the 2.2.1 firmware which supposedly should have been on my iphone already. However the QuickPwn 2.2.5 said it couldn't find it, so just before step 4 above, the app added another step, downloaded the firmw pkg for me. I was worried for a second but then all cruised on smoothly. If OSX 10.5.6 gives anyone problem, I can confirm that the IOUSBFamily downgrade to 10.5.5 works as expected.

all well/dlf

• Silv3rF0x
    Silv3rF0x Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I am having the same problem. I have tried to 30 times to jailbreak mine also. On the Iphone I see the Ituns round logo and the USB plug it finds it builds and then says sending then rebooting like 20 to 22 min later comes back online and still not jail broken any ideas. I have tried this off my old Macbook 5 Gen and not working. So any ideas?

• Silv3rF0x
    Silv3rF0x Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Also I forgot to tell you all i am useing the First style Iphone the Iphone 2.0 I have not made the jump to the 3G. Been waiting to see if there going to come out with a new one soon also.

• matt
    matt Posts: 283
    via Wordpress

I'm now stuck with an iPhone that constantly shows the white apple screen and vibrates every few minutes. I forgot to use the USB hub the first time. Then I repeated the process with the USB hub and have the same results after the "ihaz success" screen.

I hope I can recover from this!

• indoor antenna
    indoor antenna Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I had the toughest time jailbreaking my 3G because QuickPwn said the phone was running a different version, even though it was not. So I had to restore multiple times, uninstall and reinstall iTunes several times, and then one day it just worked with absolutely no problems. I guess it's hit or miss...

• Sami
    Sami Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

hello, I've made a mistake from the beginning when I upgrade my iphone 3G I let ITune automatically to do it. Is there any way to retrieve it back so I can upgrade it with quickpwn tool????????????

• js
    js Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

hello
    I was wondering if there woulde be a list of software that can bee used on jailbroken iphones only...
    skype for example?
    regards
    js

• Spence
    Spence Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

Thanks worked great.

• geogo3r
    geogo3r Posts: 127
    via Wordpress

Well, not Skype but one thing you could do is you could use Fring and a jailbreak app that tricks your iPhone into thinking that you are connected to Wi-Fi even if you're connected to Edge or 3G.

Some of the jailbreak apps worth looking at are:
    iRealSMS
    SBSettings
    Winterboard
    Quick Gold
    ClearCam
    Cycorder

• Kyle Bartolo
    Kyle Bartolo Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Hi, I am trying to jailbreak the iphone 3G. Everything goes perfect until it comes to send the information to the iPhone. It just doesnt send anything. On videos it starts to send straight away, and i left mine for like 5 min, and the progress bar just stayed empty.

I noticed that the newer macbooks do not recognize the iPhone or something. Do you think that this is the problem? Thanks

• Sam
    Sam Posts: 218
    via Wordpress

Completely forgot the HUB step the first time I went through...Stuck on "quickpwn is about to run on your iphone 3G" for ages, had to Force Quit, but luckily the phone turned on in its original state after holding power and home for a couple of seconds. Stuck in a HUB and it worked like a charm.

• Samla
    Samla Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Hey,

is anyone else having the same problem as me?

I'm going through a USB hub, and I've tried it three or four times, but every time it gets stuck in the same place.

"Sending WTF.s5l8900xall.RELEASE.dfu..."

the progress bar is stuck on full and it says 57kb/57kb sent, but the activity icon in the bottom right corner keeps spinning and nothing changes.

I've left it going for half an hour but still nothing.

Any ideas?

Cheers

• faustou2@gmail.com
    via Wordpress

Hey some has any idea, cause I have the same problem, please help

• faustou2@gmail.com
    via Wordpress

Hi there still not working for me, I did it several times and nothign happens, I do not have a hub to do it, what I can do?????

• Kip
    Kip Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

I followed your instructions how to upgrade my iPhone to 2.2.1, but by mistake I pressed Update insted of Restore. Opps, I thought. But the phone upgraded AND i kept all my settings, all my music, all my stuff (except the jailbreaked of course).

Then I put the phone through at USB hub and the jailbreaking worked perfect.

And so far, my iPhone seems to work perfect.

Thank you!

• matt
    matt Posts: 283
    via Wordpress

Hi guys. I did everything like it was described here and it went well. My iphone works perfectly. But my MacBook pro however isn't. I am running leopard latest version which is 10.5.6 I believe. The problem is that whenever I insert USB flash drive os x crashes and message saying I should hold power button for certain times comes up. It is deffinetely not caused by the USB drive - it was working before and I tried few. I think it's cause by the patch downloaded from apple and installed to enable leopard to recognize iphone in DFU mode. Any idea how to solve it?

• djaerich
    djaerich Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I tried this with 2.2.1 and baseband 02.30.03 on my 3g and I was unable to get and carrier signal after the jailbreak. Is this common?

• dwgrm
    dwgrm Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Hey guys
    Just tried this, followed step by step and worked perfectly..thanks for the great app.

• jaz
    jaz Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

i did it once and it isperfect! thankyou thankyou im so happy

• Linh
    Linh Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I Had the same problem when connected the IP to my iMac directly ( The iTunes popped up said it doesnt recognize the IP)

After that I used the USB Hub to connect it with my iMac, The iTunes still popped up, but I just ignored it cause I saw sth still happening in QuickPwn.

Finally after awhile, my IP had been JailBreaked !!!

Thanks for the Dev Team and the guy who posted this thread !

Cheer !