Step-by-Step Guide to Jailbreak iPhone 3G and Preserve Baseband using PwnageTool

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageStep-by-Step Guide to Jailbreak iPhone 3G and Preserve Baseband using PwnageTool

Apple released iPhone firmware 2.2.1 couple of weeks back which included some minor bugs and improvements. The Dev Team had warned against updating to firmware 2.2.1 as it also included a baseband update which breaks the "injection hole" that they had used in their application yellowsn0w to modify the firmware...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Jonis
    Jonis Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Please try to make a program which can downgrade baseband from 02.30.03 to the one which can unlock the iphone with yellowsn0w bcuz i updated mine with itunes to 2.2.1 :((

• Shubh
    Shubh Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

This guide and Pwnage tool is only for Mac users? I can't seem to use this tool for Windows

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Hey Shubh,

Dev Team's PwnageTool is only available for Mac, so as we have mentioned in
    the guide if you want to preserve the baseband, Windows users should either
    get the custom firmware created by the PwnageTool 2.2.5 on a Mac from
    someone they trust or borrow their friend's Mac and follow this guide.

• Andrew
    Andrew Posts: 168
    via Wordpress

There are torrents from the usual places that contain the custom ipsw so simply do a search and you will be fine.

• geogo3r
    geogo3r Posts: 127
    via Wordpress

I'd just wait for the dev team to update it to work around the new baseband version because it isn't possible to roll back the version and they did it before so I'm sure they can do it again.

• Andy
    Andy Posts: 1,127
    via Wordpress

Just updated my iPhone 3G with this method using my Mac and worked perfectly.
    Thanks again for a flawless update :)

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Yup, it will be great if they do, but I think they will trying to figure out
    a low level unlocking method for iPhone 3G like they have managed for 1st
    gen iPhone which does not get affected by firmware updates. So once
    unlocked, stays unlocked.

• tignos
    tignos Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Hi, I have decided to take the plunge to upgrade my iPhone 3G to 2.2.1. But before doing that I would like to know if I can use yellowsn0w to unlock. I am still using firmware ver2.1 with modem ver02.11.07 and using a sim hardware to unlock. Question is with this method, the modem firmware will be upgraded to 02.28.00 or still stay at 02.11.07? I would like to use yellowsn0w & do away with the hardware sim for unlock. Pls advise. Thanks in advance.

• geogo3r
    via Wordpress

If you've hardware unlocked it then why are you worrying about a software unlock?

Also if your worried I either saw a .ipsw with the baseband preserved on xSellize.com or Hackulo.us

• tignos
    tignos Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Hi Geogo3r, with the hardware unlock I will have to remain at firmware ver2.1. Update to 2.2 will rendered the hardware unlock unusable. Thanks for the direction to a custom firmware however I would like to build one on my own. Thanks for the reply though...

• Island
    Island Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Pwnaged a 3G 16 Gb iPhone succesfully, modem/baseband remained 02.28.00, but although it recognizes a previously working sim, I don't get a signal. It did pick up a voicemail signal from my provider ....

• justice
    justice Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

i have firmware 2.2 and baseband 2.28.00. And OS X 10.5.6. I tried the Pwnage tool 2.2 and it didnt work(jailbreak). Should I use 2.2.5 and try again even though I still have OS X 10.5.6.? Thanks

• Island
    Island Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Figured it out! MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YELLOWSNOW INSTALLED!

All's well!

:)

• Mindsurf
    Mindsurf Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Used this pwnage tool for mac. Successfully entered in dfu mode but instead of getting the usual pop wherein itunes says detected iphone i got error 21 in iTunes that says cannot restore. this update is not flawless guys. I did everything that the guide told me to and even successfully entered dfu mode but stopped at restoring iPhone 3g with custom firmware.

• deuce
    deuce Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

i want to jailbreak my iphone but am currently running baseband 02.30.03 and firmware 2.2.1. am i able to use pwnage tool 2.2.5? i understand that this tool will not unlock my phone from the carrier but will jailbreak it for apps? my big question is down the road if i do this now with pwnage 2.2.5 will i be able to eventually unlock my phone from its carrier?

• Superfreak
    Superfreak Posts: 47
    via Wordpress

Yeah... I upgraded mine to 2.2.1 and also the baseband to 2.30.03... VERY BAD :(... Ahhhh... So please, is there a way to go back to the 2.28.00 baseband.. and if there isn't please Dev Team... Help!

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Unfortunately, there is no way to downgrade the baseband. However, stay
    tuned here at iPhone Hacks and we will let you know if someone figures out a
    way.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Hey Deuce,

Since you have already upgraded to iPhone firmware without preserving the
    baseband, you can use the Quickpwn tool to jailbreak your iPhone 3G.
    PwnageTool is only required only if you are on an older firmware and want to
    upgrade to firmware 2.2.1 but preserve the baseband.

Regarding being able to unlock your iPhone in the future, we will need to
    wait and see if Dev Team will unlock baseband 02.30.03. So I guess as of now
    its anybody's guess if it will be possible or not.

• Mindsurf
    Mindsurf Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Sounds like good news on its way :)

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Hey Mindsurf,

If you have upgraded to Mac OS X 10.5.6 (or using the new
    MacBooks<)" rel="nofollow">http://www.iphonehacks.com/2008/11/pwnagetoolpwned.html>)
    and facing a problem then it is because the latest update prevents your Mac
    from recognizing iPhone in DFU
    mode<which" rel="nofollow">http://www.iphonehacks.com/2008/12/dev-team-update.html>which is
    important to jailbreak iPhone 3G then use a USB hub in-between the
    iPhone 3G and the Mac and insert/reinsert the iPhone's USB cable.

Thanks for your feedback, we have updated the guide with the tip.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Hey justice,

If you are using this guide and have downloaded firmware 2.2.1 then you
    should use PwnageTool 2.2.5 to jailbreak it and preserve the baseband.

Since you are on Mac OS X 10.5.6, then you must also know that the latest OS
    X update *prevents your Mac from recognizing iPhone in DFU
    mode<" rel="nofollow">http://www.iphonehacks.com/2008/12/dev-team-update.html>
    *which is important to jailbreak iPhone 3G. So as a workaround you should
    use a USB hub in-between the iPhone 3G and the Mac and insert/reinsert the
    iPhone's USB cable.

• geogo3r
    via Wordpress

Your quite a ways behind. Try applying the carrier update and re-applying the update and see if that gets you to modem firmware 2.30.03

• drool
    drool Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

hey ill be getting a new iphone 3g in a week do I need to take care of something while im at the store since you know they activate the iphone through itunes do they also update the software version without your consent or something .... are the new iphones already updated or come default with the new software version 2.2.1 with the baseband (02.30.03)... or anything else that needs to be taken care of please let me know ... cause you know it can definitely be jailbroken but I dont want to end up buying it and then realising that it cannot be unlocked.

• spat
    spat Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

hi my friend is in the US for a vacation ive asked him to get me an iphone through AT&T ... will he be able to purchase it as he does not have a social security card but his brother who stays in US who must be having a social security card can purchase it but then when my friend will get the h/s back to India we'll have to cancel the contract but now since the h/s is purchased by his brother who will still continue residing in the US will be charged with a contract cancellation fees and if he doesnt pay the same it may affect his credit rating over there..so my question is what can be done in this scenario..this wouldnt have been a problem if my friend would have been able to purchase it under his name since he would be returning back to India but he does not have a social security card.
    plz help.

• geogo3r
    via Wordpress

I'm not sure if they update it at the store but even if they do, I'd just wait for the Dev Team to get a new unlock up for the most recent baseband. It's temporarily impossible to unlock it with the latest baseband version but I doubt that will be the case in a few weeks.

• geogo3r
    via Wordpress

You don't need a social security card to purchase a phone. Also, it may just be less expensive to purchase it with no contract rather then buy it with one and cancel it.

• spat
    spat Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

if you get the iphone 3G 16GB on a contract with AT&T it costs $299 but an iphone without a contract which is officially unlocked costs around $500-$600.

• Clement Menasce
    Clement Menasce Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Hey, I have an iPhone 3G, with version 2.2.1 and modem firmware 02.30.03. If I understood right, I cannot jailbreak my iPhone right?
    How long is it going to take to be able to have the Pwnage Tool team to come up with the required system? Thanks for letting me know guys..

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Hey Clement,

Since you are on firmware 2.2.1 and modem firmware 02.30.03, you will not be
    able to unlock your iPhone 3G but you will be able to jailbreak it.

You can use QuickPwn to jailbreak your iPhone 3G. You can check our
    step-by-step guide for more details:

For Mac users:
    http://www.iphonehacks.com/2009/02/stepbystep-guide-to-jailbreak-iphone-3g-running-firmware-221-using-quickpwn-225-mac.html

For Windows users:
    http://www.iphonehacks.com/2009/02/stepbystep-guide-to-jailbreak-iphone-3g-running-firmware-221-using-quickpwn-2252-windows.html

• cody
    cody Posts: 101
    via Wordpress

worked fine after updating to new apple firmare just ran the jailbreak app and waited. No problems.