Step-by-Step Guide to Jailbreak iPhone 3G and Preserve Baseband using PwnageTool

Comments

• jim
    jim Posts: 128
    via Wordpress

cannot get past the browse for ispw I get into it and it wont allow me to open the file? I click on the file it opens to a file that says firmware among others but only allows you to select the firmware file so I click it and it takes me to a screen with 2 files all_flash and dfu which you can click on one of these and thats it I followed the instructions to the t but still nothing any ideas? also I have mac os x 10.5.6 so what should I do for the issue with dfu mode recognition? If I do nothing and try it with problems can I still restore my phone? I really dont want a $300 paper weight thanks in advance to anyone that can help sorry for the Newbie questions but you have to start somewhere thanks

• Yog
    Yog Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I have the same problem as Mindsurf. Could someone please guide me.

• CYLVAR
    CYLVAR Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I plan to buy a locked 3g, i dont wanna unlock it "for now" but i want to replace mobileinstallation to use IPAs; do i have to jailbreak or is there a more descrete way?

APPRECIATE THE HELP

CYLVAR

• Miguel
    Miguel Posts: 23
    via Wordpress

My iphone turned off, and it wont turn on... What can i do?

• dorothy
    dorothy Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

my son tried to hijack his phone and now there is just a picture of a pineapple on the front. the only thing it will do is turn on and off. please advise

• arthur
    arthur Posts: 13
    via Wordpress

Hi > i have download my iphone 3g to 2.2.1. version . so i cant use my sim card why ? and i am from armenia is it posiable to use my sim ?

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Hey Arthur,

If you were using an unlocked iPhone then upgrading to iPhone firmware 2.2.1
    would result in it getting locked.

If you haven't used dev team's PwnageTool to preserve your iPhone 3G's
    baseband and have upgraded to firmware 2.2.1 it would have also upgraded the
    baseband to 02.30.03. Currently there is no way to unlock baseband firmware

• arthur
    arthur Posts: 13
    via Wordpress

hi

could someone help me?
    when i wont to call someone i am opening The PHONE ( to call ) it is automaticaly closeing. why?
    (i have instaled the 2.2.1 firmwere 02.30.03. )

• rui martins
    rui martins Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

hi there.

I toke all the steps above but there is something wrong... the software version (I think is te name) is 2.2.1 (5H11) but the modem firmware is still 02.30.03. Is that the reason for my vodafone (portugal) sim card is not working?? some help, please? :) thanks
    (this is a 3G 16gb iPhone that was loocked to a spanish phone network MOVISTAR)

• Service?
    Service? Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I jailbreaked my 3G, now i seem to have to service. does this have anything to do with the upload?

• Service?
    Service? Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I jailbraked my 3G and now i have no service, does this have to do with the upload?

• matt
    matt Posts: 283
    via Wordpress

ok so I jailbroke my iphone successfully. Now what? how do change icons, and customize things?

• MO
    MO Posts: 132
    via Wordpress

You guys are amazing - worked perfectly. I can't believe I now have a shell on my iPhone!

• Levi
    Levi Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

i did all this and my phone has had a pineapple on the screen for twenty mins and itunes stops responding when i plug my iphone in so i cannot restore .. whats the go .. and how can i fix this .. i need this phone for work

• Sobe
    Sobe Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

can any one give me the custom .ipsw pls

• AvengerNoonZz
    AvengerNoonZz Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

7. Keep "Activate the phone" option checked if you want to unlock your iPhone or deselect it if you are using an official iPhone carrier.

does this mean the iphone will be able to used any sim carrier if "activate this phone" is checked?

im uber n00b with iphones

• Vit
    Vit Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Guys, "This guide is applicable for all those who have iPhone firmware 2.2 or lower"

I have 2.2.1, can I still use that prog?

Thanks!

• iPhucked!
    iPhucked! Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

iTunes Ver: 8.02
    Phone: iPhone 3G

I attempted to upgrade to firmware 2.2.1 today using PwnageTool 2.2.5 to preserve the baseband and when in the final restore stage, I was not given the option to select the iPhone1,2_2.2.1_5H11_Custom_Restore.ipsw file > of course the obvious happened and the iPhone has restored to baseband 02.30.03. - UGLY!

Theoretically, could I not attempt to restore again and hold down the Option Key and choose the correct .ipsw file (above) or am I screwed like everyone else who has made this error.

Further, I understand I can jailbreak my iPhone with baseband 02.30.03.however it cannot be unlocked using the software method, however I also have a hardware SIM which used to unlock however it does not seem to work now either - am I now at the mercy of the Dev Team to offer a solution to downgrade from baseband 02.30.03. to baseband 02.28.00. or is there a way to unlock using the SIM card I have?

Any good advice would be wiser than I was to attempt to do this while talking on the phone, not paying attention and in the end having my iPhone rendered useless and all the while losing all of my data as I do not even have the ability to restore from backup!

Please help, with much thanks in advance and if the Dev team is reading, PLEASE offer a solution for us dingbats who do not know how to follow instructions closely!

Thank you and thank you iPhone Hacks and Dev Team for everything you do and have made possible for the rest of us!

• iPhucked!
    via Wordpress

In other words, can I restore my iphone using:

iPhone1,2_2.2.1_5H11_Custom_Restore.ipsw

• iPhucked!
    via Wordpress

iTunes Ver: 8.02
    Phone: iPhone 3G

I attempted to upgrade to firmware 2.2.1 today using PwnageTool 2.2.5 to preserve the baseband and when in the final restore stage, I was not given the option to select the iPhone1,2_2.2.1_5H11_Custom_Restore.ipsw file > of course the obvious happened and the iPhone has restored to baseband 02.30.03. - UGLY!

Theoretically, could I not attempt to restore again and hold down the Option Key and choose the correct .ipsw file (above) or am I screwed like everyone else who has made this error.

Further, I understand I can jailbreak my iPhone with baseband 02.30.03.however it cannot be unlocked using the software method, however I also have a hardware SIM which used to unlock however it does not seem to work now either - am I now at the mercy of the Dev Team to offer a solution to downgrade from baseband 02.30.03. to baseband 02.28.00. or is there a way to unlock using the SIM card I have?

Any good advice would be wiser than I was to attempt to do this while talking on the phone, not paying attention and in the end having my iPhone rendered useless and all the while losing all of my data as I do not even have the ability to restore from backup!

Please help, with much thanks in advance and if the Dev team is reading, PLEASE offer a solution for us dingbats who do not know how to follow instructions closely!

Thank you and thank you iPhone Hacks and Dev Team for everything you do and have made possible for the rest of us!

• Zack
    Zack Posts: 17
    via Wordpress

Hey when I tired to update with the new firmware on itunes an error came up and said unable to update, and my iphone holds the connect to itunes image on it? I cant say i know what i'm doing so can anyone help! thanks

• ms60258@yahoo.com
    via Wordpress

Please, please help me. My 3g iphone was mistakenly upgraded to firmware 2.2.1 (not through devteam's process). I set it back to factory settings but unfortunately didn't realize that it would automatically go to the latest version (2.2.1). a quick look showed that i no longer have 2.2 in my backup. i downloaded a program to restore it to 2.2 but i don't know what to do after. i can't do anything when i pull it up on my itunes.

newbie Posts: 16
    via Wordpress

hi. did you get any replies? i have the same problem!!

• guess
    guess Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

hi i have iphone 8gb 3g 2.2.1 version i can unlocking via this method?i need to restoring and flashing?same this stewp by step?

• geogo3r
    geogo3r Posts: 127
    via Wordpress

If you jaibreak your phone for 2.2.1 you will be able to update to 3.0.

Once updated to 3.0 you re-apply the jailbreak for that version, just keep in mind that you must first install 3.0 then re-apply 3.0 with QuickPwn

• Elvis
    Elvis Posts: 39
    via Wordpress

I do not have a MAC. But I used the Yellowsn0w to unlock my Iphone back in January. I have the Iphone 3G with baseband 2.28 firmware 2.2.
    Now I have my Iphone unlocked.
    My question is how I can update to firmware 2.2.1?

• candirege
    candirege Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

how about if the itunes gives error while restoring it?

• Jdperalta84
    Jdperalta84 Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Everything worked fine.... I did however come across a problem while trying to get my iPhone 3g into DFU mode. After several failed attempts of trying to get the phone into DFU mode I decided to do some googling and found a quick solution to this problem. Download Ziphone and let the program put it into DFU mode and then close Ziphone. You can continue from there restoring with the custom made firmware. Hope this helps someone! :-)

• jazz
    jazz Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

Hey Guys, desperately need help. I made the custom os on the mac as instructed then brought that to my laptop to restore the iphone as instructed using itunes. However it seems to get stuck at "trying to prepare iphone for restore" and after a while it gives error "Itunes error: Unkown error 1604" .. i have no idea wat im doing wrong
    i have followed the instructions to the letter
    my iphone is 3G and itunes 8.1.1
    any help would be great

• mt
    mt Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

ummmm.... I did this and now my iphone won't turn on...