Step By Step Guide to Upgrade Jailbroken iPhone 3GS to iPhone OS 3.1 Using PwnageTool 3.1.3

Comments

• Charles
    Charles Posts: 37
    via Wordpress

ive never had a problem in the last 2 years jailbreaking, but this time, when it came back up, i have no carrier logo and cant use my phone, it appears to be jailbroken, but cant use phone, any ideas?

• Robin
    Robin Posts: 39
    via Wordpress

In case anyone else gets stuck like I did, here's how I got out: press and hold both buttons until the screen goes blank, then comes back to the Apple logo. Connect it to the computer (I had iTunes running, but I don't think that matters). Press and hold the Home button for a LONG time... eventually, the phone vibrates, and at that point I let go of the Home button. A moment later, it woke up to the normal unlock screen.

As far as I can tell, nothing had written anything to the phone, so that "escape" got me back to the phone the way it was before.

Once bitten, I think I might leave this "upgrade" unless/until I know how to make it really work.

• Charles
    Charles Posts: 37
    via Wordpress

never mind i forgot to uncheck the activate button...i got it

• Clark
    Clark Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

Luck must have a lot to do with it. I've tried about a dozen times. Nothing worked.

• 3Lancer
    3Lancer Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

what if say you wanted to jailbreak the 3gs and also upgrade the baseband since im using a offical iphone carrier? is there some checkbox i can tick?

• pro
    pro Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

If I jailbroke my phone at OS3.0 with purplerain and then upgraded to 3.1 can I use this to jailbreak or does the phone have to be currently jailbroken at 3.0.

• David
    David Posts: 225
    via Wordpress

well i had my iphone jailbroken through pc using redsnow but accidently updated through i tunes and lost my jailbrake. i don't think i ever hit the button in cydia "make my life easy" so i am asking for you all to help me out. i have a pc and really don't have access to a mac. is there any way i can re jailbreak my phone
    thanks

• David
    David Posts: 225
    via Wordpress

oh yea i have a 3gs

• mike
    mike Posts: 489
    via Wordpress

well one more question. is it possible for someone on a mac to create a file for me to use on a pc to jailbreak my phone?

• pauldta
    pauldta Posts: 22
    via Wordpress

That's suck.Not any more for Windows version ?

• l
    l Posts: 16
    via Wordpress

thanx Robin!!! to everyone here who efffed up their iphone, just listen to what Robin did. It worked for me and i'm back to my jailbroken 3.0 iphone. this was life-saving advice. and i'm gonna do the same and wait for a better way to jailbrake to 3.1

• l
    via Wordpress

Again, if you effed up your iphone like i did and got some "1600" error or something, just look up at a couple posts earlier and listen to how Robin fixed this problem...it worked for me. unfortunately it doesnt jailbrake your iphone...but the good news is that it brings your iphone back to it's previous jailbroken 3.0 self again...thanx again, Robin

• LJ
    LJ Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

tried on two friends phones iphone 3gs and 3g same exact deal had two upgrade them to 3.1 to make phone work agree with u followed to letter mac had to have changed something sux

• Ramy Yasser
    Ramy Yasser Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

so Windows users who want to unlock their iPhone 3GS should either get the custom firmware created by the PwnageTool on a Mac from someone they trust or borrow their friend's Mac and follow this guide

about this
    why don't you post for us a custom firmware pleasssssseeeeee

Yours
    Ramy Yasser

• prince
    prince Posts: 12
    via Wordpress

it is so disappointed Dev Team forget all the Windows uses. but there is way to over come this issue. Use the VMware to install a MAC virtual computer on windows.

• broSki
    broSki Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

Hello, I dont have a mac but my friend does and he has a custom firmware that he created for his 3G, would that still work with my 3gs? or does he have to re create a custom firmware for 3gs? also what are the steps for a windows user that has gotten his hands on a trusty persons custom firmware?

• Fra
    Fra Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

From here you can download directly the already customized firmwares (jailbroken and without baseband upgrade) for iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS.

http://myoi.wordpress.com

• nick
    nick Posts: 219
    via Wordpress

for some reason I cant seem to jailbreak my 3GS with 3.1
    My custom firmware doesnt seem to work. Everything goes fine till I need to restore with custom firmware.. its preparing iphone for restore and my iphone shows itunes + usb connect logo..

after 5 minutes i get error code 1604(Iphone could not be restored. Unknown error occured )

Dev team please advise!

• jmann30@aol.com
    jmann30@aol.com Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

followed exact and get error 1600 3 times in a row

• l
    via Wordpress

well, what i did is this:
    From the off position, i pressed both the home button and the wake/sleep button until the apple logo came on and then i released both....and then i connected the iphone to the computer with itunes open...and then i held on to the home button for maybe 2 minutes or so..and my iphone booted up like normal. there you go...hope it works out for you!!!

• me
    me Posts: 220
    via Wordpress

Yeah it didn't work. It kept going straight to the itunes with the usb logo on the phone as soon as I let go of the buttons. I kept holding it for another almost 5 min and nothing. Ended up having to restore and use my latest backup.

• Josh
    Josh Posts: 265
    via Wordpress

Everyone is getting this error. It looks like if you have 3GS with 3.1 it won't work AT ALL even if you already JB your phone earlier on a different FW.

• Josh
    Josh Posts: 265
    via Wordpress

Jus tried everything in that blog and in the comments... Nothing worked..... I DID however get a different error message.... error 21. When I tried to do it in windows it made it a little farther on the "Preparing iPhone For Restore" then it failed with the error 21... what is that error mean?

• Robin
    Robin Posts: 39
    via Wordpress

Those instructions are certainly different!

Thanks - I'll give it a go, although probably not for a day or two: I want plenty of time available for reinstalling all the existing customisations.

Incidentally, even when it *doesn't* work for me, I really do appreciate the hard work done by both iPhoneHacks & the Dev Team - just the brief threat of losing my jailbreak made me realise just how much I appreciate it!

While I never expect them to offer unlocked phones for contract prices, I do hope Apple will drop the restrictions of the App Store some day: an un-jailbroken iPhone is a very good device, but a jailbroken iPhone is everything the iPhone should be.

• Gobi
    Gobi Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Success! Thank You.

It seems everything alright, but except I find no carrier logo in the upper left corner of the iPhone. I had "Activate the phone" option unchecked because my Iphone need not to be unlocked. Should I have the "Activate the phone" option checked to get back the carrier logo?

• Slim
    Slim Posts: 11
    via Wordpress

Some of u people need to quit crying about the dev team not releasing a windows version. They always release the mac version 1st so if ur to impatient to wait then kick rocks.
    I was wonderin have the issues in 3.1 been resolved like battery life ect.

• mbhullar
    mbhullar Posts: 43
    via Wordpress

Correct, since you had already upgraded to 3.1 the jailbreak won't work for now. You had to be on 3.0 or 3.01 jailbreak before applying the custom IPSW.

• pauldta
    pauldta Posts: 22
    via Wordpress

When is available for Windows users ?

• Gobi
    Gobi Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

There's no carrier logo, I still can use the phone.