Step By Step Guide to Upgrade Jailbroken iPhone 3GS to iPhone OS 3.1 Using PwnageTool 3.1.3

Comments

• VJackson
    VJackson Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

I have tried this numerous times and nothing seems to work. Pwnage tool now says that the file that I downloaded above is not the correct firmwire. I quit...

• Scared
    Scared Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

So after you jailbreak without activation, you still need to unlock it with ultrasnow? Did you try the "Check for upgrade" on iTune to see if the carrier update is available?

• D
    D Posts: 50
    via Wordpress

yes i did....and nothing....however i do have the actual updated carrier settings file ....weird...its called ATT_US.ipcc if there was a way i could somehow load it myself that would work nicely....its possible though i hardly think i wouldnt have noticed it asking for a carrier update is that it did it already and i somehow didnt see it or forgot.....is there any way to tell if the update is already loaded to my phone....i guess i could check my girlfriends because i did the update on her phone...hers is not unlocked or jailbroken....she didnt want any of that so hers is 3.1 with the updated 5. whatever baseband...so my question is...is there a way to tell if im updated with the mms carrier update and also is there a way to update it myself if i have the file? thanks in advance for any replies...

-D

• D
    D Posts: 50
    via Wordpress

i keep seeing this "activate iphone" option stated...is this something that is an option in the pwnage tool...im betting it is...heh

• EK
    EK Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

IPhone Dev. Team, I currently own the 3gs Iphone it's jailbroken and I have not upgraded to 3.1, following the instructions of not to upgrade until you guys figure out how we can do it without loosing our ability to jailbreak our phones in the future. I want to make sure that if I follow these instructions, I will not loose my ability to jailbreak my phone, will be able to sync my phone to my mac and Itunes and will not loose my provider as I been reading. Please let me know ASAP so that I can go ahead and do my upgrade. Thanks

• Scared
    Scared Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

I am not sure if there is a specific area to look up the version numbers but if your carrier update is already installed, you should see the CAMERA icon on the left of the text input field when you are typing in a text which means your MMS is enable and can send picture or multimedia content thru messages.

• Tony
    Tony Posts: 145
    via Wordpress

I have just purchased an iphone running OS 3.0 can I use PwnageTool 3.1.3 to jailbreak it without updating to OS 3.1

• Tony
    Tony Posts: 145
    via Wordpress

I have purchased an iphone running OS 3.0.1, will PwnageTool 3.1.3 jailbreak it?

• Robert
    Robert Posts: 146
    via Wordpress

I tryed to jailbreak my iPhone 3GS, but Iam not the computer type, so silly of me, I updated it to the newest version. But it wouldnt update, there was an error. So now the phone just stands in iTunes-mode. IF ANYONE knows how to fix this, could you save my life and send me an email on how to do it? robi__1@hotmail.com
    please guys!

• EK
    EK Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Can someone that has upgraded their Iphone 3gs that had 3.0.1 and waited till the Dev. Team told us to go ahead and upgrade our Iphone with PwnageTool and followed the instructions that were given to us, had no problem, and their Iphone is jailbroken with no problem. I keep reading that people get these error messages 1604, I don't want to upgrade to version 3.1 and loose my jailbreaking ability, I love my phone jailbroken. So please let me know.

• Andy_TW
    Andy_TW Posts: 21
    via Wordpress

does this solves the problem of "CANNOT CONNET THE WIFI" issue which happen before. because if the iPhone without WiFi after JB, it can not been unlocked via Cydia.

• DB COOPER
    DB COOPER Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I just tried the new PWNAGE on my JAILBROKEN phone. Everything seemed to work great except when everything was restored, it doesn't look JAILBROKEN. CYDIA was not loaded onto the phone and none of my hacked apps re-loaded either.

Prior to this attempt, my phone was 3GS 3.0

Now, in my settings under version it reads: 3.1(7C144)

So I think I'm JAILBROKEN, but NO Cydia...

Any thoughts?

• DB COOPER
    DB COOPER Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Oh...and btw...None of my JAILBROKEN APPS returned to my iphone once the restoration was complete, which seems to indicate that the phone did NOT JAILBREAK. However, the version seems to indicate it was. Weird!

• Tiya
    Tiya Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

hi... i accident update my 3gs to 3.1 b/s 05.11.07. so i have a change to j/b & unlock???????????????
    any idea

• Andy_TW
    Andy_TW Posts: 21
    via Wordpress

JB..YES!! unlock..NO!!

• nearly crazy wit 3GS
    via Wordpress

yes, i did so. first time i jailbreak my iPhone 3Gs is get an error 1600 (my phone was in DFU mode), for second time, i get an error 1604(in recovery time). my problem is the as above users. Please help. i'm sure that i am in recovery mode when i used iTune 9.0

• nearly crazy with 3GS
    via Wordpress

for the third time, i rebuild the custom IPSW, but the result still the same. now my phone (iPhone 3GS) is stuck in Recovery Mode even i restart or reboot for many times. :(

• Newt
    Newt Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Question about the baseband: why do we want to "preserve" the old baseband (04.26.08)? While I'm don't know much about the baseband, does it mean that we are missing out on some of the fixes and benefits of upgrading to OS 3.1 (05.11.07)? I understand that the 3.1 upgrade improves things like bluetooth and wireless reception. Will retaining the old baseband (04.26.08) forgo some of these improvements?

• rainex
    rainex Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

i have a factory unlocked iPhone3GS OTB with OS3.1. can i use this tool to jailbreak if i dont have unlocking issues? will it work?

• zx
    zx Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Can we know baseband in Recovery or DFU mode? any methods to find out the baseband on iphone?

• Ash
    Ash Posts: 40
    via Wordpress

I have a 3GS running 3.0.1 software. I have never jailbroken it. I am using Windows XP.
    I need to jailbreak AND unlock it.
    Is this possible at the moment? If so what do I use?
    Note I don't think I have any 3.0 backups to restore from, but from what I understand they don't work anymore!?!

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

• MrAmbition5
    MrAmbition5 Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
  • MrAmbition5
    MrAmbition5 Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I'll try all these steps tonight and report back later, good luck to all trying.

• Robin
    Robin Posts: 39
    via Wordpress

OK - trying again today. This time, the firmware installation has gone fine (it seems), but now the phone has the "connect to iTunes" logo with "slide for emergency" on the bottom, and when I connect it to iTunes I just see "iPhone" in embossed letters on a blank iTunes screen... and no prompt to restore from backup. Suggestions? I might try doing it without any pre-installs in the firmware file - perhaps that doesn't actually work yet.

• Robin
    via Wordpress

Right - just restored from the custom firmware *without* any Cydia apps pre-installed in the firmware (other than Cydia and Icy), and that then prompted me to restore from backup. For now, I'd recommend against pre-installing anything in the custom firmware with PwnageTool. Will report again once I've reconstructed the phone. :)

• Robin
    via Wordpress

Hmm... this is proving more than a little painful. On beginning to load things into Cydia, I first found that it wouldn't respring when it said it would (it made the respringing noise, then immediately the lockscreen was visible). Then I tried powering off and on, and tried installing one thing in Cydia (Categories)... but when I pressed "respring" it stuck with the waiting-circle in the middle of the screen over the Cydia installer progress window... and now I've tried force-resetting, and it stuck on the pineapple logo for ages, but now appears to be my phone again (at least, I can see my wallpaper on the lockscreen). So it's had a few hiccups already, but seems gradually to be working.

• Robin
    via Wordpress

Right - now we've got through the false starts, it's looking better and better by the minute. Based on my experience, I recommend a full reboot of the device after restoring from backup, and perhaps once again after installing the essentials from Cydia (if it doesn't quite obviously do a full reboot itself).

All that said, YAY for jailbroken 3.1.2 - THANKS DEV TEAM!!

• Cables
    Cables Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I downloaded the 3.1 firmware for 3GS, iPhone2,1_3.1_7C144_Custom_Restore. Tried to make a custom firmware in Pwnage Tool 3.1.3, but it searched iPhone1,2_3.1_7C144 which it supposed to be sued for iPhone 3G. Should I go ahead to use that customized firmware for my iPhone 3GS?

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 141
    via Wordpress

Used Pwnage 3.1.4 to JB my 3Gs running 3.1.2, seemed to work perfectly. However, Cydia crashes when I try to open it. Re-jailbroke and did not include ICY, still no luck. I need suggestions please. . .I need the patch so that I can install cracked apps.

• SY
    SY Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    Getting Unknown error 21...cannot be restored...please suggest