Apple Cautions Users Against Jailbreaking iPhone OS

Comments

• M.S. Hewlett Packard
    via Wordpress

I guess jails in the usa are easy to break out after reading so many replies! Im happy that our dutch jails are secured so that criminals are kept inside.
    I also noticed many of you guys like to eat fruit because Apple is often mentioned. I never knew usa jails allows criminals to own a i(nmate)phone.

• Jbahamian
    Jbahamian Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

i did it with snowbreeze .u have to go to one of these links http://www.redmondpie.com/sn0wbreeze-jailbreak-iphone-3g-3gs-3.1.2-on-windows-9140328/ this is the one i use .u will have to follow the instructions to the t . i got it on the fourth try ok http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-iphone-os-3.1.3-firmware-with-redsn0w-0.9.4/

• Myself the Idiot
    Myself the Idiot Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I just don't get all you turds. You'd lick **** off the iphone and defend it like it's the best damn thing ever, yet you complain, talk ****, have to jailbreak, and have to post who is "first" on this blog without any meaning. You should all get together and jailbreak each others' arseholes with your apples.

(for the ones that actually post useful information please disregard)

• smackoz
    smackoz Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Being in the older rather than younger generation I still remember the little defensive company hoarding its little apples and tiny cut of the global computer market with copyright this and can't copy this or that... end result... the little apple almost went bust... on the other hand PC sales skyrocketed because of the opportunities they provided for innovation.

Apple as a company has some great ideas, I went Apple for this very reason, but will they ever learn from their past mistakes??? I find it amazing to see how narrow sighted and narrow minded they are becoming yet again.

If something is truly good it will sell itself.

I find it even more amazing to read their weak poultry excuses for not Jailbreaking an iPhone/Touch. Imagine if Microsoft were to apply the same arguments to their OS's. Their attempt to lock in a webbrowser at the OS level is one example of consumer market reaction. The consumer world went into an uproar.
    The admission from Apple themselves, posted in the article above, is particularly telling,
    "...third-party apps that use the Apple Push Notification Service have had difficulty receiving notifications or received notifications that were intended for a different hacked device..."
    To me this smacks of a serious iPhone OS security issue.

smackoz
    jailbroken iPod Touch 2g and loving it!

• smackoz
    smackoz Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
  • Macination
    Macination Posts: 14
    via Wordpress

If you have had your iphone more than two years, and or your warranty has expired, Apple is NOT a threat to you! Also, as recently reported, Apple will no longer provide updates to the 2G. So, they can go roger themselves!
    The whole notion that I can not manipulate a device which I PAID FOR to absurd. Just imagine if you bought a PC and the manufacturer said you couldn't install additional software because of a license agreement or your actions might do any of the above listed things. You would tell them to sod off. So let the revolution begin and do what the bloody hell you want with the device you bought and paid for.

• stokesbee
    stokesbee Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

If apple and AT&T would lock the iphone down so it would have it's full potential, there would be no jailbreak. I don't use third party apps, but I travel a lot and it's so much cheaper to use different providers (in other countries) which I can't without jailbreaking.

Apple should be ashamed to try and scare everyone off from jailbreaking.

• kszabo@arcor.de
    kszabo@arcor.de Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

This announcement of Apple is the best proof that the Spirit Jailbrake or the one of Geohot will work on OS 4.0 and iPhone 4G!

• ej
    ej Posts: 19
    via Wordpress

but look i understand why they do that because they want to release different parts of the os so they can gain the most amount of money by people wanting to upgrade through at&t

• Josh
    Josh Posts: 265
    via Wordpress

I did a JB on my iPhone 3Gs the 1st week I bought it and that was at the launch of the model and I have had no problems performance wise. I have bought just about every jail broken app on the Cydia store. I love my jail broken iPhone but at the end of my contract I will be getting a new HTC android phone because they are getting better and better very quickly and I believe soon they will indeed outsmarted apple simply because apple release upgrades and updates to slowly. I don't think of the iPhone as a smart phone with a iPod on it but rather than iPod with iPhone on it.

• TimW
    TimW Posts: 430
    via Wordpress

This is just a bog standard 'Scare Tactic' to frighten people who look towards Apple for JB info.
    All they want to do is reduce the numbers of the JB community with fear tactics
    I own two cars, 1 is(was) a standard Skoda 1.2 Fabia that i had money to throw at, not knowing where to start with the engine mods, i contacted Skoda by email, i didnt get a 'You cant do that' reply, i got a reply that pointed me towards an authorised Skoda upgrade centre, £12k later, its now a 2.4 supercharged road monster, very un-Apple :)
    My Suzuki got the Apple treatment, "Sorry, the car is designed as is and any modifications will void any/all warranties, the modifications you mention can seriously damage your vehicle" Like a typical JBer, did it anyway :)
    My point being, if Apple acted like Skoda, they'd get a huge customer loyalty base with returning customers & a huge 'word of mouth' boost

To any newcomers to JB that read this, Jailbreaking DOES enhance your device tenfold, it provides tools that can really make your device unique, but you 'may' encounter a few hiccups along the way...but its soooooo worth the effort :)

• TimW
    via Wordpress

Because he's an egotistical little jerk

• akrimay
    akrimay Posts: 23
    via Wordpress

I love reading the comments posted here...today esp the first 3..lol.. from the "12 yr olds"..but seriously..i have a 3GS jailbroken and it's like having a new phone everytime esp when u wanna change d icons and wallpaper, etc..my sister has one also jb and we haven't had any big probs w/it..I love Apple but agree their warnings are a bit stupid and sound a little desperate b/c they can't control the hacker community (which I love). Once they realize they can sell more iphones because of the jb capabilities..maybe then they'd reconsider.

• Aussie
    Aussie Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Without JB, I would be using a Droid by now.

• armando
    armando Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

without Jailbreak the Iphone is CRAP!

• Craig
    Craig Posts: 178
    via Wordpress

Yep, I'll go along with that

• Craig
    Craig Posts: 178
    via Wordpress

I'll go along with that too, well said mate

• Jaylou180
    Jaylou180 Posts: 13
    via Wordpress

I was wondering since your not jailbroken anymore is your iPhone crash free worry free, no drop calls.

• SnoopG
    SnoopG Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Since I've owned an iPhone, I have never had a problem with it being jailbroken. However, I do believe that with the majority of users that DO jailbreak their phone, they are the ones that are having problems because they have ZERO knowledge of *nix or software in general.

• TimW
    via Wordpress

Winterboard (MobileSubstrate) protects your device by placing it in Safe Mode where you can access Cydia / Rock and remove offending packages.
    Sometimes, packages do conflict with another installation, but most good Devs test & retest then place an 'Advisory' in the More Info sections, funny how some people refuse to read up on what they want to install.
    If you do find a conflict, most Devs welcome an email about whats happening, it helps them and us :)

Crashes CAN, WILL & DO happen with any software devices, Doesn't mean it makes the device less useable.
    Packages such as Firewall ip, Adblock etc are there to make our devices safer (and ad free )

• TimW
    via Wordpress

Same here, So far i've done 31 3G/3Gs, 9 IPT3 & helped another 4 via email.

• Colly
    Colly Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I jailbroke my 3g back in december and updated back to 3.1.3 when apple released it this year. to be honest and anyone can say what they like but there is no denying the phone is a whole lot more stable unjailbroken, My phone used to regularly crash and eventually completely stopped working so i had no option but to place into recovery mode and update the firmware thus over-riding the jailbreak. The exact same thing happened to my sisters iphone. I understand the right to jailbreak but theres no denying the iphone os is a hell of a lot more stable and efficient unjailbroken.

• Cheeze439
    Cheeze439 Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

It can be done without SHSH backups too. Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf9rd6wH3zU

This worked perferctly for me last night after being forced into a 3.1.3 upgrade because of a crash/freeze. Follow the instructions precisely. I did this on my 3GS (MC model so usually not possible) and without an shsh backup.

• Cheeze439
    Cheeze439 Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

You can downgrade 3.1.3 to 3.1.3 without SHSH backups. Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf9rd6wH3zU

This worked perferctly for me last night after being forced into a 3.1.3 upgrade because of a crash/freeze. Follow the instructions precisely. I did this on my 3GS (MC model so usually not possible) and without an shsh backup.

If you are stuck then give this a try and report in here when it works for you.

• kleo
    kleo Posts: 18
    via Wordpress

There is no jailbreak for non jailbroken devices. The already jailbroken OS4 devices shown are the pre jailbroken ones. So if you have a new device locked and on 3.1.3, sell it. This information came from a friend on DEVs. Remember a couple of weeks before, they announced that a jailbreak will be released on 24th of April. THEN SILENCE. Now its June. In June, they will announce a delay and then a new firmware 4.0.1 which will have many advantages. June will be July, August, November..... Happy new Year.
    So continue donating to these guys. This is what they do for a living. Fooling guys for donations. I unlocked my 05.12.01 3gs by changing sth on the hardware.I do not need the jailbreak. And if anyone says if you are clever, make a jailbreak, the answer is, donate to me and after my first million, I will.

• ben
    ben Posts: 235
    via Wordpress

Apple doesn't want us running apps that are not specifically approved by them, like most of us are already aware of. That's the bottom line. If they don't have a hand in it $$ wise, they don't want it on their device. That's their call of course, it's THEIR product. I don't like how they outright LIE though about the products' capabilities or lack thereof (video recording on the 2G and 3G models for example). They make claims that 'the hardware just won't support it...' yet introduce a new model soon afterward that now runs the apps the previous model would not (according to them)....yet the jailbreak community proves otherwise. Laughable really.

• Hmmm
    Hmmm Posts: 45
    via Wordpress

that doesnt work. you need shsh backup.
    thats why you add the funny bit to the hosts file. to trick itunes to searching saurik servers for shsh instead of apples.

you and youtube guy must of backed up your shsh and forgot.

• Philip
    Philip Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

What about the fact that the new iPhone will have a micro simcard.....will this prevent the use of sim cards from other carriers if we are able to jailbreak and unlock? It seems as if only carriers that are authorized to carry the iPhone will be able to provide micro simcards

• dcljcp
    dcljcp Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

If Apple/ATT would unlock my phone, I would be happy to give up jailbreak and pay for apps. I travel frequently and lock to carrier is just stupid. I have a contract with ATT, it's not like I was going to skip payment to them, why should they care if the phone is unlocked or not? So European carriers offers legal unlock service.

• Fara
    Fara Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

Jailbreak-ed my phone over 8 month a go, no problems what so ever. Can use my phone abroad with international carriers which saves me ton of money, plus already can enjoy all the futures of yet to come new iPhone OS 4.0 like multitasking and folders and etc.. So I think it's a fair deal in order to give people freedom of mind and wallet.