How To Jailbreak Your iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS or iPhone 3G Using PwnageTool (iOS 4.1)

Comments

• Fyta
    Fyta Posts: 29
    via Wordpress

If I have a built custom IPSW from a Mac, can I copy it to my PC and do the recovery from my PC?

• Budda
    Budda Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

I did follow the directions but it gets stuck at 6 seconds of holding the
    Home button. That is supposed to be the last part of the process but pawnage tool just hangs at 6 seconds
    Any ideas?
    And btw, I did jailbreakme so nice call

• Jordan
    Jordan Posts: 163
    via Wordpress

will it del contacts ?????

• kandarp
    kandarp Posts: 14
    via Wordpress

I cant see any option for custom boot logos. This is strange as I downloaded from the link you provided, how come you have the option?

• kandarp
    kandarp Posts: 14
    via Wordpress

I guess they took out this option from latest pawnage tool for iOS 4.1. You might posted old screenshots! Anyway, not a big deal. You'r doin great job buddy. Keep it up.

• CornishRob
    CornishRob Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

My iPhone 3GS was previously Jailbroken with Jailbreakme on 4.0.1 Baseband 05.13.04 No problems.
    Now it's Jailbroken on 4.1 Baseband 05.13.04 using PawnageTool 4.1.2 and restored within iTunes 10.0.1
    Spot on so far, BUT now the inbuilt Apple TV out when playing video (either synced or within Safari) is only outputting audio, the video is displaying on the phone and not being sent to connected tv, it was all working great with 4.0.1.
    Anyone any ideas?

• Bill Gates
    Bill Gates Posts: 54
    via Wordpress

It is not working with iPhone3G for iOS 4.1

• Michael
    Michael Posts: 316
    via Wordpress

I read where you have to disable 3G before unlocking your phone to enable it for T-mobile. Well I didn't disable 3G before I unlocked, but I didn't even have s SIM card in the phone. Therefore there was no service even on the phone. Should I unlock it again using the turn off 3G method? Or will it be okay how it is?

• Nia
    Nia Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Does this wrk on the new iPod toucheswith the camera too?

• David
    David Posts: 225
    via Wordpress

it is now successfully jailbroken!!! thanks for your effort. now i am looking for ways to unlock my iphone with with the bandbase of 5.14.02
    any suggestions to fix this is really helpful :)

• CornishRob
    CornishRob Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

One more glitch, now when trying to import photos to Aperture or iPhoto I get the message...

Photos in the Camera Roll on 'My iPhone" cannot be viewed or imported because the iPhone is locked with a passcode
    You must enter your passcode on the iPhone to view and import them

This happens if I unlock the phone before i plug it in, after, or even with switching off passcode lock and autolock before doing anything.

Anyone any ideas on this one?

• vamsi
    vamsi Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

is it possible to jailbreak an iphone 3g currently running on iOS 4.0 with 4.1 firmware on WINDOWS by following the instructions given above?
    what about unlocking once i jailbreak my 3g?

• hollabob
    hollabob Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

i've gone through the whole process for my iPhone 3GS, but how do i know if jailbreak was successful?

• Rick
    Rick Posts: 104
    via Wordpress

Hello - just to be clear, before I begin this process of jailbreaking, if my iPhone 3G has been upgraded to iOS 4.1 in iTunes, then I can't jailbreak using pwnage 4.1.2? Just want to be sure.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

You can jailbreak your iPhone 3G on iOS 4.1 using PwnageTool but if you are interested in unlocking your iPhone it won't work as the baseband is upgraded.

You could also use limera1n or greenpois0n, which are simpler tools to use if you don't care about unlocking:

http://www.iphonehacks.com/limera1n/
    http://www.iphonehacks.com/greenpois0n/

• Rick
    Rick Posts: 104
    via Wordpress

Thank you for that fast reply! Just to be clear, I have an iPhone 3G (not 3GS). Are you sure greenpois0n will work? The iPhone 3G is not listed in the link that you posted above.....

• James
    James Posts: 258
    via Wordpress

if i jailbreak like this, will all my apps, music etc be gone from my phone when I boot it up. I jailbroke iOs 4.0 with jailbreakme.com and everything stayed, is it the same here?

• MarissaRan
    MarissaRan Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

i got as far as restoring it in itunes. it kees sayin it cant restore because of an unknown error. Should i just try jailbreaking it on Windows then?

• vivo
    vivo Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

Dear iphonehacks,

Im currently running a jailbroken iphone 3GS 4.0.1, with modern firmware 05.13.04. I really want to get ioS 4.1 because the applications that I want all require 4.1. But i rely on an unlock because this phone is from USA and I live in Australia so I had it jailbroken and unlocked when i bought it.

So the best way for me to have an updated 4.1 on my iphone 3GS is to follow this guide, and then get Ultrasn0w 1.1-1. to unlock it, is that correct?

Thanks a lot,
    Vivo

• vivo
    via Wordpress

p/s my phone was previously jailbroken using jailbreakme.com thats why Im on 4.0.1.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

You should use PwnageTool to update your iPhone to iOS 4.1 as it will preserve the baseband and keep it at 05.13.04, which can be unlocked using Ultrasn0w 1.1-1. You can checkout our step by step guide:
    http://www.iphonehacks.com/2010/10/how-to-jailbreak-your-iphone-4-iphone-3gs-or-iphone-3g-using-pwnagetool-ios-4-1.html

• vivo
    via Wordpress

Hi, my iPhone 3GS was previously Jailbroken with Jailbreakme on 4.0.1 Baseband 05.13.04 too ! And now I want to jailbreak to be on 4.1 Baseband 05.13.04 using PawnageTool 4.1.2. ONLY problem is, i rely on an unlock. Im thinking of jailbreaking it by following these instrucstions and then install ultrasn0w.

Do you think its possible?
    Cheers

• vivo
    via Wordpress

Thanks for the quick reply.
    Some people got stuck at 6 secs in DFU mode. Was it because they didnt follow instructions properly or ? I've read the whole thread and noticed that they were previously jailbroken using Jailbreakme. Will that happen to me too?

Thank you in advance.

• JB
    JB Posts: 110
    via Wordpress

I have executed the steps but at the last one where it should restore it, it tells me an error has occurred and cannot restore...

• Vinnick
    Vinnick Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

My iphone 3G has been successfully jailbroken with redsn0w_mac_0.9.6b1 on a mac.

I'd like to know if it can be updgraded to this new jailbreak PwnageTool 4.1.2 ?

As indicated it seems to be better than the one I have.

I also have the following apps, as other users have said:
    - AdSheet
    - TrustMe
    - iOS Diagnostics
    - iPodOut

and I don't know if they were installed during the jailbreak or were just hidden by the iOS before ?

Does any one know ?

• johnmfuller@mac.com
    via Wordpress

Hey...
    After I have jailbroken my phone, there is page on iTunes that says there is a phone that is new, but looks like it matches some available software stores... Is this a fatal destruction of my jailbroken phone and should I try to stop it??? Help please!

• DEO
    DEO Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Does this give me more memory?

• Fitz
    Fitz Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I have a 3g w/base band 5.8 on 4.0.2 am getting hung up at the end of the progress bar when itunes is "restoring iPhone firmware".

Let it go for over 3 hours and nothing. Couldn't restore from custom .ipsw or orignial on more than one computer and phone was black.

rebuilt a new .ipsw w/Pwnage and gave it 1012mb cache and itunes started the process with the new .ipsw but now is hung up again at "restoring iPhone firmware"

any thoughts? Solutions?

thank you.

• Roger
    Roger Posts: 65
    via Wordpress

Yes you can . I create a Guide how to do that .

http://iphonesupport.weebly.com/

• Lemuel
    Lemuel Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I JB my iPhone 3gs with spirit on 3.1.3 ... can I now just re-JB with this guide? can I finally update iTunes to 10.whatever? Will syncing my iphone & hence reformatting it mess with the baseband and screw my ability to future jailbreak?

I'm currently syncing my phone with itunes 9.1.1 with spirit jb ... i had to wait almost a year to be able to use the phone while it was bricked, so a bit paranoid about messin with it, but keen to have os4 in some format on the iphone 3gs old bootrom