Step-by-Step Guide to Jailbreak iPhone 3G using QuickPwn (Windows)

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageStep-by-Step Guide to Jailbreak iPhone 3G using QuickPwn (Windows)

The iPhone Dev team released their much awaited software solution to unlock iPhone 3G couple of days back. However to install their yellowsn0w application to unlock iPhone 3G, you need to first jailbreak iPhone 3G. So here is a step-by-step guide to jailbreak iPhone 3G using QuickPwn for Windows users,...

Read the full story here

Comments

• HHIPPO
    HHIPPO Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Just a quick one, when i do the upgrade to 2.2 do i need the carrier sim to activate the iphone? if yes then i have a problem cos i bought mine from e**y and don't have the carrier sim. is their any other way of bypassing this? would appeciate all the help i can get. Thnx

• NINO BROWN
    NINO BROWN Posts: 10
    via Wordpress

a big thanks to dev team for the tutorial. i think that im now ready to unlock my phone

• hso
    hso Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Works perfect - thanks

• fsdfsd
    fsdfsd Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Stuck on the apple screen. And you didn't mention that you should close itunes during the jailbreaking process.

• sdk
    sdk Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I do admit that I'm kinda new to this stuff. I got this brand new 3g iphone locked to 02,UK as a present from a friend and I'm working in Saudi Arabia and my problem is when I power on my unit it says "INSERT VALID SIM". Is activation thru I-tunes requires the carrier sim? If NO, pls. could anyone out there who are kind enough to guide me the basics on how to do it.

• William Rush
    William Rush Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I just read your guide. I had already jailbroken my Iphone 3G on Thursday 1/1. Prior to that, I had held out from updating my Iphone to 2.2 based upon earlier reports that said it might eliminate being able to unlock in the future. So I backed it up and let Itunes update the phone to 2.2. That left my phone with the required 2.28 Modem Firmware and 2.2 (5G77) Version. Note my phone says (5G77) not (5677)as you have in your directions. I may be mistaken but the need to download firmware 2.2 in step 5 of your guide is unnecessary if you let Itunes update the version.

I used Quickpwn exactly as your directions state and it worked perfectly.

I have not unlocked my phone because I have a contract with AT&T and don't need to use another sim. But on my next trip to Europe, I will unlock it so I can use checp sim cards purchased there.

Thanks for your many helpful columns. Keep 'em coming

• Wael
    Wael Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Really thanks, very good explanation and it works

• Amit
    Amit Posts: 40
    via Wordpress

hi i am currently using iphone 3g in hongkong originally form USA. I recently unlocked it with the help of yell0snow.Its working fine, but whenever i hooked it with itunes its gives me a message called software update available for ur carrier, would u like to download?? what should i do ?? anyone help?

• Naz
    Naz Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

hey, i followed ur instructions quick pawn says install was successfull and wait while device reboots but it seems to be stuck at the apple screen... it'll vibrate every so often and then the screen looks likes it about to do something and then goes back to the apple screenn... any help would be great

• Ok, here's what i encountered while jailbreaking my iphone 3G:

* I started by doing all possible checkups on jailbreaking and found that the four most important things to remember were these:

1. Baseband firmware 02.28.00
    2. Firmware update 2.2 from Itunes
    3. If your SIM-card has a PIN-code setting available (I think most of them has) then this must be DISABLED before starting the jailbreak
    4. Make a backup using Itunes before starting!!!

The first two of these four were already setup, because if you've downloaded the latest 2.2 update from Itunes, it will be correct.

I ran the Quickpwn.exe file, very user friendly by the way, and it got to work. That's when i made the mistake of minimizing the Quickpwn program window, which i couldn't get to open again. The phone then locked itself in the mode where it reboots itself, vibrating every third minute or so. I read on an online forum that I should just hold the Home+Power button for 10 seconds, then release the Power button, then start Itunes and reset the Iphone to default factory settings. This took about 1 hour and a half and I now need to add my apps and music etc. from the Itunes library (nothing lost there by the way) to the Iphone.

Before i decided to add this back, I ran the Quickpwn.exe again, and it only took me 5 minutes or so to get it jailbroken.

For short: It worked like a charm the second time, so don't be afraid to try again!

• Theo
    Theo Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!
    I jailbroke my iPhone, and now I can't download pirated apps onto my phone! Whn I go and download them from **** site, drag them into iTunes and sync, it says "the application can't be installed because it can't be verified." Please help!!! How do I install apps like these??? PLease help

• Megan Williams
    Megan Williams Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

New to all this so a bit reluctant at first incase something went wrong but worked like a charm! Thankyou!

• yellowsn0w
    yellowsn0w Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Great job with the guide.

• Zed Sefi
    Zed Sefi Posts: 143
    via Wordpress

Please post instruction of upgrading the firmware for those who got 2.2 already but baseband preserved to 2.11, thank you.

• mike
    mike Posts: 489
    via Wordpress

Works like a charm, and by the way, i had my itunes open all this time.
    Follow the instructions.
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!! DEV TEAM
    Excelent work.

• Davin
    Davin Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

This works like a charm to me, unlocked my iphone 3G 16GB in a snap.
    Thanks guys.
    Keep up the good work, DevTeam.
    Congrats for this new release.

• richardf
    richardf Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

works perfect
    started with jailbroke 2.1
    now have jailbroke 2.2

thank you idev team

• chase1209
    chase1209 Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Hey, DEV Team... Way to go!! I have never done anything like this before in my life!! I followed the directions posted and it worked like majik!! Thank you again, DEV Team, you guys are AWESOME!!

• ashish
    ashish Posts: 10
    via Wordpress

Do these instructions and firmware work for non 3G iPhone? Someone please advise.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

@Zed Sefi,

This guide can also be used to upgrade from firmware 2.2 with preserved baseband to firmware 2.2 and baseband firmware 02.28.00 as the steps mentioned under "Update your iPhone 3G to iPhone Firmware 2.2" will upgrade your iPhone 3G to firmware 2.2 without preserving the baseband firmware.

We have updated the guide to highlight the same.

• Irha
    Irha Posts: 37
    via Wordpress

How about a guide for 2G owners? What are the pitfalls? Is it worth upgrading beyond 1.4?

• Nagpaw
    Nagpaw Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Thank you for a clearly written article. I upgrade my firmware from 2.1 to 2.2 on a Iphone 3G which i had already jailbroken.

Did everything you guys said and it works beautifully!!

THANKS A TON!!

• Jeff
    Jeff Posts: 126
    via Wordpress

If your are having problems with QuickPwn hanging at "Wait for your phone to connect in recovery mode...", but the iBoot driver is recognized in Windows, make sure the following services are started:
    -messenger
    -telnet
    -terminal services
    After that everything should work smoothly.
    Good Luck!

• Dax
    Dax Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

Great tut! Worked flawlessly!

• Greg
    Greg Posts: 106
    via Wordpress

Hi,

I just 'jailbroke' and everything worked great but now when I try to make a call the phone screen (keypad) comes up but nothing works (no input ) received and after about 5 seconds it flashes back to the springboard. Any ideas?

thanks,

gV

• Drew
    Drew Posts: 23
    via Wordpress

i have the same problem phone stuck with the pineapple logo and vibrates once in a while

• ysh
    ysh Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

help! i've jailbroken my iphone 3g just like how it is shown. however, i am unable to use the wifi and when i exit an app it does not return to the 1st page. for example, i go to my 2nd page and click on the ipod. then i exit it and it still stays on the 2nd page. please help me cuz i am new to this. thks.

• Dr.Drei
    Dr.Drei Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

sick sickk first time trying it and it worked wonderfully no problems. You should have a trouble shooting section like in case something happens what can they do, but overall nice write up thanks!!!! another happy Iphone 3g customer.

For the record, i had a brand new Iphone 3G bought today (JAN 4 09) and i upgraded it on itunes using just the straight up upgrade button in itunes. And i downloaded quickpwn and it sent me an application error at first but i downloaded .Net Framework from micorosoft website and it allowed me to start quickpwn easily. Just follow the instructions carefully and you will be ok. hope this helped. THAnsk again for the maker of this forum!!

• mike
    mike Posts: 489
    via Wordpress

Initially had a problem with QuickPwn not recognizing my Phone having firmware 2.2 installed. The message read something along the lines of "This version of QuickPwn can only jailbreak firmware versions >= 2.0". This problem disappeared after I rebooted the iPhone and reconnected it to the computer via USB. After that things went smoothly.

• joni
    joni Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

Hi!! I have just jailbroken my iPhone 3G... it went great!! Thanks so much!