Step-by-Step Guide to Jailbreak iPhone 3G running Firmware 2.2.1 using QuickPwn 2.2.5-2 (Windows)

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageStep-by-Step Guide to Jailbreak iPhone 3G running Firmware 2.2.1 using QuickPwn 2.2.5-2 (Windows)

if you want to update your iPhone 3G to firmware 2.2.1 but at the same time preserve its baseband so that you can also unlock it then you should follow our step-by-step guide to use Dev Team's PwnageTool. But If you don't want to unlock your iPhone 3G now or...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Rayray
    Rayray Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Hi I jailbreak went fine. But all apps I installed I can't open for some reason. I used instalous to download and installed those apps. BeejiveIM can't be opened, but I can change the setting in the setting app. what I did wrong?

• iPhoneUser9800
    iPhoneUser9800 Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

Nothing, i've had the same problem w/ 2.2.1
    IT SUCKS!! Ur better off just going bck to 2.2 because none of the jailbroke apps download or work right.

• fff
    fff Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

Hi,
    Didn't work for me as well. Will wait for dev team make progress and unlock 2.2.1. Good luck guys....

• geogo3r
    geogo3r Posts: 127
    via Wordpress

Probably try rolling it back. iPhone Hacks has a tutorial on it but I'd just buy the app. I know its expensive but chances are, your getting your music for free and most else so why not just pay a little ;)
    If not, wait for an update for ****.
    What Repo offers ****? I can never find it. (Just out of curiousity)

• geogo3r
    via Wordpress
  • iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

What was the issue?

• geogo3r
    via Wordpress

Uhhh... I just upgraded to 2.2.1 and the Dev Team has unlocked it, you just need to find an .ipsw that preserves the baseband.

• Pedro Rivera
    Pedro Rivera Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Hey my iphone stay only in reboot mode after trying to jailbreak! how can i fix my phone? it does not work anymore i need help.....

• geogo3r
    via Wordpress

Only thing I can think of to do is hold down the home and hold/power button until it reboots. Whats on the screen when its frozen? A Pineapple or is it the regular apple?
    Also... Did you get the .ipsw from apple or did you get it elsewhere?

• Zed Sefi
    Zed Sefi Posts: 143
    via Wordpress

DevTeam will never release PwnageTool for Windows users. They didn't do that since their latest Windows edition for FW 2.0 and we have been waiting for long time to get this and it didn't come out!

I guess my only hope is to find a preserved ipsw files that was created on a MAC. Here we go again, how can we trust any ipsw that's said to be preserved when we find its **** file? And No, I don't have any friend who got a MAC.

This is so depressing but I still appreciate the amazing work that DevTeam have done for all of us.

• Stargateonly
    Stargateonly Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

Hi, I got the same problem after jailbreaking. The reboot just stay there with an apple logo and never seems to go away nor reboot itself....the whole jailbreak just freeze with an apple logo. Who else have encountered the same problem?

• geogo3r
    via Wordpress

Same question. Where did you get your .ipsw?

• Metal Man 71
    Metal Man 71 Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

After trying to jailbreak my iPhone 3G with firmware 2.2.1 (5G77) and upon reboot it was stuck at the 'Apple' screen. I tried pressing the home key quickly once or twice which didn't work. I tried holding the home key for about 4 seconds which didn't have any immediate result. Then I held the power button for about 2 seconds. This last seemed to do the trick and I got the lock screen.

Everything on the phone worked fine except for two things. First the Phone app. was broken. It would start but then after 1 second it would die even if I didn't touch it. Second, every time I rebooted the phone it would get stuck with the Apple diplayed.
    About the 5th time I happened to reboot I couldn't get it past that screen.

So, I followed the restore procedure (Hold home button for 5 seconds, hold home and power for 10, hold home for 30) and did a shift-resture in iTunes to put the original firmware back. During this process it seemed to save a copy of my firmware. I don't know if this was the original firmware or the jailbroken one that it was replacing. It also told me there was an update and asked if I wanted to replace that. I said yes.

After much waiting (iTunes takes a lot longer to restore the firmware then QuickPwn took to replace it.) I had a phone with the original applications and my custom settings. It didn't have my third-party applications because I had turned off the auto-sync before this whole process and I hadn't done a sync after the restore.

All good, my phone was usable again. I then went through the jailbreak process again, with SUCCESS (Yeah!). I now have a jailbroken iPhone.

So, two things are different, I went through the iTunes update firmware process and I had it install the new firmware [2.2.1 (5H11)]. This past Sunday, this page said that the process worked with firmware 2.2.1 (5G77) but, it now says to use 5H11. I don't know if Dev. Team always just recommend the latest version. But, it is possible that this jailbreak worked with earlier shipped versions of the 5G77 firmware but that Apple then made a change so that the later ones don't work (I just bought my phone Dec. 26th.) If this is true then version 5G77 may or may not work. But, it seems that upgrading to 5H11 is a much more certain route.

• Raks
    Raks Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Hi everyone ive just bought an iphone3g and just want to jailbreak, dont need to unlock. should i update to 2.2 or 2.2.1 firmware. By the way im on XP. Do i need .net frameworks and so on??

Please help!

thanks

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Hey Metal Man,

There has been no change on this page. iPhone firmware 2.2 was 5G77 and
    firmware 2.2.1 is 5H11.

Which version of QuickPwn were you using 2.2.1 or 2.2.5-2? Had you upgraded
    to firmware 2.2.1 before using QuickPwn? That might help in solving the
    puzzle.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Hey Stargateonly,

Had you upgraded to firmware 2.2.1 before using QuickPwn 2.2.5-2?

• Stargateonly
    via Wordpress

Geogo3r & iphonehack,
    I have downloaded n upgraded the firmware to 2.2.1 from apple itune before using the QuickPwn 2.2.5-2. I have also downloaded the .ipsw from the iphonehack site and followed all the steps in performing the jailbreak. so what is missing??
    My friend have done the same and encountered the same problem.
    Maybe the instruction need to be more clear, especially towards the end of the process.
    Since then, I have managed to reboot and install back to the original (before jailbreak ) status and get back all my datas/contacts. Will wait for a more stable jailbreak firmware before doing it again.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Hey Stargateonly,

That's strange, can you tell me which step do you get stuck?

Did you get past step 7, 8 and 9?

• Stargateonly
    via Wordpress

Hi anyone,
    After hearing so much about the jailbreaking, how do we know whether the iphone is lock or unlock?

Is jailbreaking possible to perform despite the iphone is in lock or unlock status?

If jailbreaking can only perform on a unlocked set, then could the jailbreaking process include a check item to confirm the phone is lock or unlock status before performing the rest of the process.

Please comment.
    Thanks.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

There is no such restriction.

You need to jailbreak your iPhone first to unlock.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Using this guide you first upgrade to the latest firmware.

It does not matter if you have unlocked your iPhone or jailbroken it.

After upgrading you need to use tools like QuickPwn to jailbreak it.

Sent from my iPhone

• Stargateonly
    via Wordpress

hi iphonehacks,
    Thks for the advise.

So what might have gone wrong in the jailbreak of 2.2.1 version?
    Why is it that when it comes to the last stage of reboot that the apple logo keeps appearing in the Home screen?
    Something wrong with the QuickPwn 2.2.5-2?

Currently have the latest firmware 2.2.1(5H11)with Modem FW 02.30.03.

Please enlighten.

• 500modder
    500modder Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

Think I posted this on the wrong page before:
    I bought an UNLOCKED iPhone 3G and updated it with with firmware version 2.2.1 (5H11) and modem firmware 02.30.03. If I jailbreak my phone using QuickPwn, will it still remain unlocked?

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Dev Team's yellowsn0w application cannot unlock baseband 02.30.03.

You can only use QuickPwn to jailbreak iPhone 3G.

Ideally you should have used their PwnageTool to update your iPhone 3G with firmware 2.2.1, it would have jailbroken it and also preserved it's baseband.

Sent from my iPhone

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

You need to tell us at which step you hit the problem to be able to figure out your problem.

Sent from my iPhone

• 500modder
    500modder Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

I didn't unlock my phone - I bought it factory unlocked and then updated it to firmware version 2.2.1 (5H11) and modem firmware 02.30.03. I just want to ensure that my phone REMAINS UNLOCKED after I jailbreak it with QuickPwn.

• Jackdaw
    Jackdaw Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Be very careful trying this. I did it, and did it right, and it still didn't work. You can get your iPhone working again though, see http://www.creationrobot.com/2009/02/recover-your-iphone/

• Adnan Khilari
    Adnan Khilari Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Hi,

i am having the same problem with the apple logo appearing constantly, i just wanted to know, that i have never back up my data, and did the restore back it for you in the whole the process, bcuz u mentioned that you got ur custom settings back...
    so will it automatically back up the data for me???

• Ash
    Ash Posts: 40
    via Wordpress

Hi All,
    I have just "jailbreaked" my iPhone. All went well. I was very worried though once it rebooted, as i lost all contacts, settings, photos, sms's and all apps i had installed.

I reconnected it to iTunes and clicked "Restore" hoping everything would come back, and it did, except for the music i had, which isn't a problem, as it is easily reinstalled.

The only reason i wanted to jailbreak the phone was so i could forward sms messages. I can now using Bitesms. Plus there is so much more including ringtones etc.. that install immediatly.

I'm in Australia using the Optus network. All is working fine. I dont know what the installer does at this stage, but Cydia is great.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Hey Adnan,

What do you mean you have never back up your data, whenever you connect your
    iPhone to your computer, iTunes takes a backup automatically.

So when you restore your iPhone from the backup, you will get your personal
    data and settings.