Geohot Announces Untethered Jailbreak For iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 2G, iPod Touch 3G; That Might Also

Comments

• Victor
    Victor Posts: 54
    via Wordpress

Very nice. Well done Geohot :D
    Keep up the good work!

• The Geohot movie is to complicated for you and your friends. You need subtitles and some arrows to understand the details :)
    please visit other places - you don't need to be upset - brain is not equaly distributed by God

• Dan
    Dan Posts: 348
    via Wordpress

Well it is very clear that the only way TimW can get anyone to talk to him is to act like a complete ****. He has less proof this is not real than geohot has shown us that it is. So TimW (W standing for Wanker I assume) stop recycling the same old argumets that everyone has already pointed out are wrong and go back to your pathetic life where you belong. Come back when you have something worth while to say instead of your lame combacks, which are amazingly better that your repedative arguments, who woulda though that was possible!

• Thomas
    Thomas Posts: 125
    via Wordpress

Why is it that every time geohot makes something every one is talking **** about it? He has come out with some really good tools and has yet to lie about making something. If he said he did it then he has and there is no questioning it. He is one of the best hackers i have seen in a long time. Smart kid and I wish I knew all that he knew.

• 3.1.3gs
    3.1.3gs Posts: 15
    via Wordpress

Yeah what's with the crap music?

• Craig
    Craig Posts: 178
    via Wordpress

Exactly, what's the point in dangling the carrot and teasing? Just release it, esp if it can't be used in future.

• Trapp
    Trapp Posts: 109
    via Wordpress

No fair! You must have cheated! xD

1st thing after JB my 3gs is to get damn hashes Never gonna b stuck again :)

• Craig
    via Wordpress

Douche, wtf?! Douche it up?! Far out man haha

• Craig
    via Wordpress
  • LT
    LT Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

AHAHAHAHAHAHA you dumb twat! You're too stupid to read the "Why" section of the howto, so let me subtitle the video for you:

0. Since all it3g and iphone 3gs are currently tethered, he can use either one and it doesn't matter what firmware they're running.

1. Geohot used an itouch 3g, not iphone 3g(s) because u can rollback the modem firmware on the iphone to a hackable version if you have the older bootloader version 5.8.

2. To show that it is it3g and not it2g, he turned on voice control by pressing the mic on the earbuds.

3. The full background shows that it is running Winterboard, and hence is JB'd.

4. He rebooted by touch to prove no external gimmicks like a computer or the "idongle" were used, and it is in full view at all time.

5. It comes back and does not ask to be plugged into the computer. Voila! untethered.

I just basically regurgitated everything in the Why section of the howto, hopefully this is easier for ya to digest. Ya welcome! twat...

• LT
    LT Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

For everyone who can't wait another fkin' week, go see "Hot Tub Time Machine" again and again. That is some funny **** right there! Then, upgrade to 3.2 once it's safe to do so, jb it, unlock it, stfu and enjoy your iphone. Like magic :)

• Chris
    Chris Posts: 736
    via Wordpress

A good jailbreak video can't be faked by other means. For an “untethered jailbreak”, a video should meet these requirements:

Unobscured ipod Touch 3G (“ipt3g”) in full view at all times resting on a table with nothing connected except earbuds
    Show “Voice Control” app working
    Reboot ipt3g using keypresses
    When ipt3g comes back, install a Winterboard theme that changes your homescreen background. To make the video even shorter, already have this theme installed and just show it still working after the reboot, with your non-black homescreen background (what shows up behind your app icons).

• Chris
    via Wordpress

Why?
    Why an ipt3g?
    proves latest bootrom is in use
    Why earbuds?
    proves it's not an iPhone 3GS (different earbud location)
    Why run “Voice Control?”
    proves it's not an ipt2g
    Why reboot using only keypresses?
    proves it doesn't require computer assistance
    Why show a Winterboard theme that changes the homescreen background?
    to date, this isn't possible without being currently jailbroken
    Why not “Galaga” using NES.app?
    cdevwill on twitter pointed out that NES.app can be installed using a personal (or corporate) iPhone Developer codesign license, no jailbreak needed
    Why “in full view at all times”?
    many fake videos temporarily point the camera at the computer (or deliberately shake the camera) so that the device can be replaced with another off-screen
    as seen at http://wikee.iphwn.org/howto:video

• Chris
    via Wordpress

the rest of the post on this thread are a back and forth on this topic tried to save all of you the time of reading them all lol

Geohot if we all could do what u do this would be pointless. Dude i trust you all your stuff works as advertised...just do u and i will see the jailbreak when it comes out tks from all of us you are a god among iphones

• Chris
    via Wordpress
  • Noneya
    Noneya Posts: 30
    via Wordpress

You stupid ****. Look at the IPT screen no dock. Not only that you can clearly see black rain icon when he swipes to second screen along with cydia icon. Blackra1n icon (blackrain drop)top left of second screen which you can see the outline on the drop, and next to that Cydia icon(brown white design). It's obvious you cant tell what your looking at because your fucken idiot. I wish I could slap your stupid ass. That's right I said slap, because that's what you do when your **** gets out of line. ****. How's that for an AMERICAN insult. And that the end of this so get back in line ****.

• Noneya
    Noneya Posts: 30
    via Wordpress

Here's a site so you can compare his home screen to original IPT home screen. ****. http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/features/

• MDR
    MDR Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Im Jail Broke and running 3.1.3(7E18) Dont ask me how cause I dont know. I found the instuctions on Utube to jail break me.

• TimW
    TimW Posts: 430
    via Wordpress

Pretty lame insult too :)
    thought the Douche one was bad till I read this one.
    Slap my ass, man, your one sorry backwoods hillbilly fag.
    Has your family adopted the theme tune from deliverance as their anthem??
    You type like your mothers also your sister dude

• Craig
    via Wordpress
  • Craig
    via Wordpress

It'll come, in good time, maybe very soon, let's just sit tight and enjoy it when it does.
    I miss a jailbreak as much as the rest of you, but let's be patient, because when it comes, it'll be a moment to savour :)

• Craig
    via Wordpress

Haha the theme from Deliverance - lmao, 'Duelling Banjo's' wasn't it?, or something of that ilk Tim? :)

• blobblob008@hotmail.com
    via Wordpress

I think i might have had the shsh file BEFORE the restore. but i cant even get into the phone atm. The only thing i can do is make emergency calls.

When connected to itunes, it just says "the sim card inserted in this iphone does not appear to be supported, only compatible simcards from a supported carrier may be used to activate iphone"

can anyone help? i miss my iphone so much

• TimW
    via Wordpress

Got it in one mate, Gold Star there :-)
    Really didn't know they had the net that far into the woods (fishing nets yes)
    I'd say I opened a can of worms, but better not as Noneya would probably dive in with his spoon
    Either that or he's a 'gangsta' from the hood and wants to pop a cap in my ass (aka a pustule covered teen sat behind a jizzed up kb with naked pics of his mom {or sister-same thing} pinned on his wall) prob has a ropey tattoo of geohot too
    either way, the sort we refer to as 'Big Issue' ;-)

• Enigma
    Enigma Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

all of u have got 2 relax. ur all 2 tense on this, just chill out. if its real ul see and find out, if not then ul see anyway. no point at getting at each others throats for something ur not even sure about.

• TimW
    via Wordpress

Www.saurik.com
    follow his instruction on the site about 3.1.2 restore
    what network sim do you need? Can you borrow one off someone on that carrier, get a pay and go one cheap??

• kristhiantr
    kristhiantr Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

thx.. hope it can be soon

• just sayin'
    just sayin' Posts: 66
    via Wordpress

i'm going to be sooo pissed if this is an April Fool's joke.

• ZeppelinLed
    ZeppelinLed Posts: 68
    via Wordpress

Well it's not April the 1st, is it?

• Jr
    Jr Posts: 24
    via Wordpress

Prob, a april fool, just wait and see.
    If it was not why not just sendt it out now, he just make a new one in 2,3 days. lol.
    geohot you sad for not long time a go that if dewteam or otheres have the hack why not just sendt it out, why hold om to it, there are a new day of fame always, somthing like that, there fore i thing it is an april fool thing going on,