Apple, Steve Jobs Respond To iPhone 4 Reception Issues: Fact Of Life For Every Wireless Phone, Avoid

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageApple, Steve Jobs Respond To iPhone 4 Reception Issues: Fact Of Life For Every Wireless Phone, Avoid Gripping It In Lower Left Corner Or Use A Case

iPhone 4 users have been very concerned about the reception issues observed when they touch iPhone 4’s side antenna bands, especially on the lower left corner. Apple has finally responded to the issue stating that this is "fact of life" for any wireless phone. Apple has released the following official...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Steven M
    Steven M Posts: 114
    via Wordpress

I don't care what anybody says, this is definitely a iPhone 4 specific issue. Other phones may drop a bar or two when being held at times, but this is 100% consistent. Anytime I put my hand or thumb over that lower left strip, my signal slowly drops until it says no service. When I remove my thumb and hold it anywhere else the signal comes back. I have already dropped a call 3 times in about 10 minutes because of it. A bumper case is not a solution. I use the invisible shield and don't want to mess with a case. Docking is a pain when using one of those bumpers.

I hope that this is just a bad batch and that I will be able to swap my phone out in a month or so. Other than that the phone is outstanding. This is the iPHONE though. Phone calls should be the number one priority.

• Jorge
    Jorge Posts: 125
    via Wordpress

That really sucks , First, at last !! ;)

• Jorge
    Jorge Posts: 125
    via Wordpress
  • Kunal Desai
    Kunal Desai Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Which left corner? It can be different side depending on which hand you are holding the phone and way it is facing (for video conference)

• nonoie
    nonoie Posts: 62
    via Wordpress

fucking engineer who made this and company who allow it....the worse thing i know....i know apple know this thing will happen that's why they made the bumper case instead of including it on the package they sell it..bunch og moron..they think the comsumer is dumb enough not to find out...**** you APPLE

• James
    James Posts: 258
    via Wordpress

Apple thinks they can do this to customers... Let's see what happens

• Infosecgeek
    Infosecgeek Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

Ridiculous... while it is true that there will be some attenuation when handling a wireless device, it should be nothing like this. Today while at work, I was unable to use my new iPhone 4 in places where I never had any signal issues with my 3GS. It's absurd that Steve Jobs would consider this a "non-issue". Was it a "non-issue" when it happened to him during his keynote? He blamed all the connections in the room... well, how were all the people present connected to the network with their mobile devices without any hiccups? Mr. Jobs, the reality is that your new iPhone 4 antenna = FAIL. I love everything else about the phone... give me a free bumper and I will be happy, but don't insult my intelligence by telling me that I am holding my phone wrong.

• Akaki
    Akaki Posts: 15
    via Wordpress

so this is true, just don't touch both antennas ,there is a devider line these aluminium stipes are antennas and hand is short circuiting them, snd slso when antenna gets touched it goes crazy, probably it can be used for good too, in places where reception is weak you can use your body as external antenna, same as on old tv sets ;)
    just to make sure hold it with paper in your hand and see what will happen and without paper just touch left corner where devider line is and connect both parts with just finger and reply.
    i don't have new iphone so i cannot check by myself.

• Crazyfish
    Crazyfish Posts: 36
    via Wordpress

Bummer. I always thought touching antennas helped with reception. I wonder if it is possible to somehow improve reception using a special bumper case with a larger builtin antenna. A little off topic but I just picked up my 3GS and the pixels really stood out since using the iPhone 4. I think the 4 has trained my eyes to look sharper... Very strange!

• Akaki
    via Wordpress

forgot to mention, if paper insulation works than all you need is use scotch tape around or wrapping tape, cut nicely and woala :) it will look bad but....$700 apple should have coated aluminium with smth outside to prevent it. probably next gen or newer issues will have some kind of coating to prevent it.

• Akaki
    via Wordpress
  • Akaki
    via Wordpress

so true :D
    but no worries they will fix it later ;)
    watch link i posted, if you are handy you can do same coating for just outside , just an idea to shield phone from circuiting

• Vinny
    Vinny Posts: 35
    via Wordpress

seriously! free bumpers would be nice! BUT if Mr. Jobs says it's not an issue then i'll obviously have to deal =/.

• dave
    dave Posts: 389
    via Wordpress

Come on guys...every phone has it's problems. Even the iPhone 4 isn't perfect (though I think it's close). You all have a grace period to return it...if you're really that unhappy with it then take it back and get a different phone. But, you're not going to since the iPhone is beyond any phone out there. Just deal with it...you'll learn to avoid holding it like that and then it will be second nature.

• mouseman
    mouseman Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

**** U STEVE!!! i am not buying your ishit anymore!!!

• Akaki
    via Wordpress

when you hold phone facing you, when looking at the screen, on the side where volume buttons are, there is a little line (lower left side)

• Akaki
    via Wordpress

ahh don't be like that :))), my favourite is still nokia but in canada nokia is last, iphone is eating the phone market and .... has the monopoly :D so it is iphone or phones that cannot work on our lines. apple can never compare to nokia, look at N8 or n97 or n900
    "we" let apple take over so it does

• Akaki
    via Wordpress

no it is not bummer, it is bumper !
    lmao. it is good just enjoy the phone.

• Steven M
    Steven M Posts: 114
    via Wordpress

Touching the antenna isn't the issue. Connecting the antennas is. Each antenna is seperated for a reason. When touching that area, a connection is made between them. I am hoping it is a bad batch but I really doubt it. It seems like a design flaw that should affect every phone the same way. Some users are saying that this doesn't happen to them but I'm betting it would happen in my hands.

Every phone call is now like a game of operation. Don't touch the sides...

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 14
    via Wordpress

So I will stay with my 3Gs that I'm very satisfied... I think that failure of apple is a god oportunity to Microsoft and Windows Mobile 7 to enter in the Market...

• Jay33
    Jay33 Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I haven't experienced this issue. It's not doing it to me...at least right now...by the way, the phone is f'ing awesome! I really don't think it's that big of an issue...

• Kevin
    Kevin Posts: 154
    via Wordpress

What a risky and silly position. Obviously this is a problem without a solution other than buying a case. Very disappointing Apple.

• mars
    mars Posts: 25
    via Wordpress

So you people who are complaining are actually walking around with your iphone 4 with no case??? I don't know anybody who DOESN'T have a case for their iphone come on it's definitely not that bad. But also it doesn't do it on mines that I know of. Plus i have a CASE lol...people are always looking for something.

• 3gs
    3gs Posts: 11
    via Wordpress

You are missing the point. The design of the phone was presented as a feature and made to be "good engineering" on their part. It was supposed to help in reception. Why should someone have to hold the phone a certain way just so it won't drop a call. Come on. This is first and foremost a phone. How can you possibly defend this?

• DD
    DD Posts: 15
    via Wordpress

Buying a case to protect the phone and buying a case so the phone won't drop a call are two different things

• rodo
    rodo Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

if u live in san diego i have iphone 4g cases for 10 dollars!!!! email is tolurodo@gmail.com

• CodyNEedsHelp
    CodyNEedsHelp Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Well this just sucks for me, first i pressed reset all settings cus when i tried to go to the wifi section in settings it would automatically close and then my apps were all out of the categories cuz the categories were deleted. then i tried upgrading from 3.1.3(SpiritJB) to iOS4 and i got a 1604 error and im stuck on the "Connect to Itunes" logo! Someone plz help me!
    (p.s. im in korea using a different itunes then in my normal computer in the U.S.)

• yomama
    yomama Posts: 11
    via Wordpress

If you pay that much for a phone and don't even plan on protecting it with even the simplest/cheapest of cases, then you're too fucking stupid to own an iPhone. Return it so I can buy it.

in retrospect.. if you're complaining about getting a $10 or $20 case then you're probably to fucking poor to buy one as well. Again, return it and I will buy it.

kthxbai

• I SAY
    I SAY Posts: 37
    via Wordpress

YOU ARE SOOOO RIGHT!!!! Man.. now apple wants to make more money selling stuff needed for proper functuality of their products... whats next!! a mackbook pro.. then they'll sell you the power supply seperate.. WTF apple!!! now im thinking twice about buying this $hit

• tim
    tim Posts: 173
    via Wordpress

It is so frickin amazing to me to sit here and read all these idiot fanboys actually trying to defend Apple on this. Even if the phone didn't make phone calls you would still have these people buying it. It's just pathetic. The iPhone has been so hyped over the past 3 years that Apple now knows that even with a flawed design they will still sell millions of them and that's why they still released it. Steve Jobs arrogant responses to people these days says it all.