How To Jailbreak iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS Running iOS 5.1 Using Redsn0w

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageHow To Jailbreak iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS Running iOS 5.1 Using Redsn0w

Apple released iOS 5.1 yesterday, which includes some minor improves and bug fixes.

iPhone Dev team has just released a new version of Redsn0w - Redsn0w 0.9.10b6 that supports iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 1 and 3rd-generation and 4th generation iPod touch.

Read the full story here

Comments

• City023
    City023 Posts: 55
    via Wordpress
    After that long wait for a jailbreak on ios5(5.0/5.0.1) I don't think anyone is dumb enough to upgrade to 5.1
  • Joe
    Joe Posts: 450
    via Wordpress
    so here's what happened. yesterday i tried to restore my unlocked 3gs with custom 5.0.1 firmware i created with sn0wbreeze and at the verifying firmware with apple i got an unknown error (6). The phone is now stuck at restore mode. I tried to kick it out of restore mode using the restore fix in redsn0w without luck. i then tried to restore using the custom 5.1 firmware created with redsn0w that just been released. Itunes can't get pass the verifying process after extracting the file and gives me unknown error (3194). Is there any help??? TIA
  • iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress
    Check your host file entries and comment anything with *.apple.com as it looks like your computer is pointing to Cydia servers or the other option is to try it on another computer ideally that hasn't been used for jailbreaking.
  • axe
    axe Posts: 185
    via Wordpress
    I really hope this 5.1 solves the calling audio bug. It's damn frustating.
  • Lahey
    Lahey Posts: 32
    via Wordpress
    No untether = no jailbreak for many. It'd be interesting to see how dependent sales on Cydia are on a truly reliable untethered jailbreak. My guess is fewer are bothering to spend money when they have only a tethered jailbreak. It has to come down to money at some point; money changes everything. Unless an untethered jailbreak is released I can't imagine developers would take the time to release something via Cydia.
  • Joe
    via Wordpress
    Thanks for the reply but what do you mean by comment anything with *.apple.com? And how do I check for the host file entries? I may try again using different computer today. But if you can elaborate more on the first option that would be great. Thanks again
  • Paul
    Paul Posts: 239
    via Wordpress
    If you have tiny umbrella installed on your computer, open it and click on Advanced tab. Uncheck "set host to cydia on exit". Apply changes and reboot computer. You can now restore to 5.1
  • Joe
    via Wordpress
    Many thanks for the tips paul will give it a rum when I get home from work.
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    Well people do it accidentally.
  • Rey
    Rey Posts: 8
    via Wordpress
    i custom restored my iphone 3gs to IOS 5.0.1 and jail broke it using the latest version of redsnow (0.9.10b6) once i put my tmobile sim card into my phone, it doesnt connect to any networkinstead it just tells me that it is " searching.." when i try to select a carrier, it tells me "unable to load network list"i would greatly appreciate some help or atleast some advice on what i could to to get my sim card to be read..modem firmware: 06.15.00
  • carla
    carla Posts: 4
    via Wordpress
    i cannot get the icon to turn brown! rebooted like five times...
  • Ashley
    Ashley Posts: 14
    via Wordpress
    After installing THE jailbreak safari stopt working! So i thought that it would help if i resore my iPhone 4 ! Bute after restore safari still doesnt work and also THE Cydia icon is still on my screen but wont open!Could you please help me ?
  • Retribution1888
    Retribution1888 Posts: 25
    via Wordpress
    Not 100% sure but I think You may have ro reinstall cydia! As I have restored your iPhone to a previous sync
  • rngibb
    rngibb Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    newbie here, ive succesfully jailbreak my iphone 3gs... i have a baseband 05.16.05 on 3 network on ireland... how can i unlock my iphone?thnx
  • wow that was quick good job dev team
  • Olaf
    Olaf Posts: 66
    via Wordpress
    You may need to run Redsnow and choose the option to Just Boot. Since it's a tethered JB, that is necessary.
  • Olaf
    via Wordpress
    Just to add, Redsnow tells you after you JB that you will have go through the Just Boot process. Then Cydia and everything else should work. It did for me and always has in a tethered situation.
  • Olaf
    via Wordpress
    While the update is nothing to be excited about by any means, I went for it........and then I jailbroke!Thanks iPhonehacks and the Dev team! It works fine on iPhone 4 GSM.
  • Joy
    Joy Posts: 4
    via Wordpress
    Google this iphone 3gs basaband 5.16.05. Im guessing there is no way to do it... But i don't want to discourage you
  • Joe
    via Wordpress
    this is what in the host file#74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com#127.0.0.1 gs.apple.comcan you please help me?
  • sania
    sania Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    my phone has cydia but its white... and i did all the steps right because my phone did everything
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 383
    via Wordpress
    i followed the instructions and i went well until redsn0w said it was some random error and now my screen won't turn on even though my phone is on and itunes tells me i have to restore it but it always sais it's an error.. what do i do now?
  • Joe
    via Wordpress
    after followed the 2nd method (used a different comp) i was successfully update my phone with the custom firmware keeping the bb and now waiting on the update of ultrasn0w thank you iphonehacks and paul
  • Joe
    via Wordpress
    i believe that you have to wait for the the update of ultrasn0w because its recent version is not for 5.1 but only support up to 5.0.1. If what mentioned in the other post is correct, new version of ultrasn0w will be released in a few days
  • MOhammed
    MOhammed Posts: 6
    via Wordpress
    I got this message on Cydia ( this device is in the pending TSS queue ) . The jailbreak is ok and finish but still got Message No service . What i can DO Now ?
  • harshdeep singh
    harshdeep singh Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    hye, i hav iphone 3gs . i followed instructions and went well until redsn0w said 'the rest of the process will be done on phone' n 'done' option bt then my phone got swicthed on n da 'finish' dint appear on the application and my phone is working well bt version is still 4.1
  • iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress
    Hey Hardeep,The assumption of this guide is that you're on iOS 5.1. So if you're on iOS 4.1, you will need to update to iOS 5.1 and then use this guide. But before you upgrade you need to remember that this is a tethered jailbreak so you will need to connect your iPhone to the computer for every reboot (using Redsn0w). This guide is also not meant for unlockers so don't update to iOS 5.1 if you care about software unlocking your iPhone.
  • iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress
    You need to ensure there is no host file entries pointing to Cydia (check etc/hosts).
  • harshdeep singh
    harshdeep singh Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    dude,try the process again while your sim is already in the phone
  • cynara
    cynara Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    i am trying to download red snow and it keeps saying safari can't open it because no application is available to open it... i am simply trying to re-install the cydia app on my phone it was deleted but my phone is still jail broken ... please help i an extremely aggravated and ready to throw my phone out the window... what am i suppose to d