Has AT&T Unlocked Your Off-Contract iPhone Yet? [Updated]

Options
^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageHas AT&T Unlocked Your Off-Contract iPhone Yet? [Updated]

It's April 8th, and according to AT&T's statement issued a couple of days back, the carrier plans to unlock users with off-contract AT&T iPhones starting today.

AT&T lists the following requirements in order for you to be eligible for an unlock:

* Your account must be in good standing.
* You should have completed the 24 months contract period, or paid an early termination fee, or upgraded under one of AT&T's upgrade policies.

Read the full story here

Comments

• pavel
    pavel Posts: 5
    via Wordpress
    Options
  • Lee
    Lee Posts: 153
    via Wordpress
    Options
    I also called AT&T and try to get my iPhone 4 unlocked unfortunately my requested fail because I was among the top 5 data user. Any idea to have my phone unlocked anyone?
  • Lee
    Lee Posts: 153
    via Wordpress
    Options
    I also called AT&T and try to get my iPhone 4 unlocked unfortunately my requested fail because I was among the top 5% data user. Any idea to have my phone unlocked anyone?
  • Sam
    Sam Posts: 218
    via Wordpress
    Options
    In Canada we have this policy long time ago when u finish ur contract,but thy charge 50$ to unlock ur iphone it is good that in the US cell phone companies are not thieves like in canada!!!JUST A FACT ,CANADA IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE PLACE TO OWN AN IPHONE IN THE WORLD
  • TheRealArabist
    TheRealArabist Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    Options
    I Called Them 9:01am CST TimeAnd The Lady Did The Research While Gossiping To Me And Me Gossiping To HerShe Was So Nice She Gave Me Her Personal Number If Any Problems My Phone Is An AT&T MC319LL In 5-7 Days It Will Be Factory Unlocked Im In The UK And I Brought The Phone Of Ebay So If You Arent The Owner You Can Still Unlock It Check Out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ8q6u9cAXQ for more info and when you do call make sure you get a reference numberpeace...
  • TheRealArabist
    TheRealArabist Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    Options
    I Called Them 9:01am CST TimeAnd The Lady Did The Research While Gossiping To Me And Me Gossiping To HerShe Was So Nice She Gave Me Her Personal Number If Any ProblemsMy Phone Is An AT&T MC319LL In 5-7 Days It Will Be Factory UnlockedIm In The UK And I Brought The Phone Of Ebay So If You Arent The Owner You Can Still Unlock ItCheck Out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ8q6u9cAXQ for more infoand when you do call make sure you get a reference numberpeace…
  • ronak
    ronak Posts: 14
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Woww...just called at&t...the representative initially told me there is bo unlock available..then after i repeated my problem again and again..he finally said tht we have got an unlock solution for you..he asked my mobile number and IMEI number..and requested me to wait for 24 hours.. He assured tht i will receive a call from their executive regarding unlock...Super happy n wating for the call to come..
  • Iphonesssss
    Iphonesssss Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options
    I tried to unlock my iPhone 4S but couldn't because I didn't have it with contract for 2-years with it.....Its only been out for about half a year. I'm not sure if they would allow anyone with iPhone 4S's.
  • P_NY
    P_NY Posts: 20
    via Wordpress
    Options
    I just called AT&T "again" and I got this answer iPhone 4 CAN'T be unlock because they came out on June so AT&T said if you purchased the iPhone 4 a full retail price and you have prof for it, then yes they can unlock it right away.I have an iPhone 3Gs and that one was purchased on May 4th 2010, so Im gonna be able lo get it unlock on May 4 2012, they set up a return call for that day.Now my iPhone 4 was purchase on June 25th 2010 so Im goon be able to unlock it on June 25th 2012 So bottom line guys even if is a 3Gs it has to be more than 2 years since you purchase it before you can get an unlock(they can get that information thru the IMEI number)As I said before only if you have proof that you pay full retail pice for iPhone 4 than you can get an unlock
  • Rounak
    Rounak Posts: 269
    via Wordpress
    Options
    From your comments on the earlier posts, I assume you're from India. So did you have the original AT&T phone number with you?
  • Cliff
    Cliff Posts: 8
    via Wordpress
    Options
    I also call at&t to unlock my iphone 4s the lady told me i did qualified to have my phone unlock after waiting for my code she told me she can't find one for my 4s so they told i will get it within the week or not!!
    ... Posts: 34
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Who cares.... The rest of the world has been selling the factory unlocked iphones for years or phone carriers have been unlocking 'em for years as well. My question is... Where is the A5 and the new ipad 5.1 jailbreak????Thanks
  • majdi
    majdi Posts: 4
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Today, 04/08/12, I called AT&T to unlock my contract free 3GS. It took me 60 minutes on hold and 2-3 minutes to unlock my 3GS. The CS asked for my IMEI and told me to do restore as a new phone. I did that and a msg on iTunes showed up " your iPhone is now UNLOCKED"
  • Ash
    Ash Posts: 40
    via Wordpress
    Options
    In the UK, many of the providers just have a fee, i remember unlocking my old iphone 3g and 3gs on 02 and T-Mobile, 02 only unlocks if you have topped up a certain amount and then also paid a fee to unlock it, T-Mobile on the other hand you just had to pay a fee no topping up needed, simple and my contract was still going on.
  • Troy
    Troy Posts: 45
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Isn't AT&T blaming you for their network woes, and assuming you want it unlocked to leave to another network would mean you would not longer be on their network to bring it down? Does not unlocking it for this reason make any sense?Maybe if their high data usage users leave they wont have an excuse to gouge their customers?
  • Troy
    Troy Posts: 45
    via Wordpress
    Options
    I would think if you leave AT&T and pay the ETF that essentially nulls out the contract, shouldn't they then be obligated to unlock?
  • hddhgdf
    hddhgdf Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Anyone worrying about having to restore their phone: don't.*you do not have to restore your phone to unlock it*Simply put in an unauthorised SIM, and connect your phone to iTunes. Your phone will switch to 'needs activation' mode, at which point you can activate on the phone (iOS5) or in iTunes (all versions). After activation, your phone will be unlocked.
  • Chris
    Chris Posts: 736
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Is there any way you can do it online.I'm abroad right now.!! Thnx.
  • JP32
    JP32 Posts: 12
    via Wordpress
    Options
    It took me about 25 minutes on the phone and they told me to wait a week or less to get a response by email or by phone. I have an iPhone 4 and the 4S.
  • JP32
    JP32 Posts: 12
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Thank you for the info but, did you get your iPhone unlocked so soon? Did they send you the process by email ? Pliz let me know.
  • millcity
    millcity Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options
    they told me the same with my iphone 4
  • Kimk69
    Kimk69 Posts: 213
    via Wordpress
    Options
    I don't see what the problems are with them making everyone with the iPhone 4 wait. It's like the reps just don't know what's going on yet. Clearly states if you've upgraded to the new phone and your a good non data hog I guess, sounds like a new rule, they will unlock the iPhone 4. Even people who paid the early termination fee which is what, $300 & something. That's like paying for the phone off contract anyway with the money you originally paid when you started the contract they ought to unlock it.
  • Daniel
    Daniel Posts: 173
    via Wordpress
    Options
    The same from me to Brazil i gave imei number and email need to wait
  • Key
    Key Posts: 202
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Why would they let him leave when they can still charge him for data usage??
  • nick123
    nick123 Posts: 4
    via Wordpress
    Options
    I called att to unlock my iphone 4 and they said i am eligible and the unlock team will get back to me within a week.
  • Ventus
    Ventus Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options
    I contacted AT&T via an online chat. They simply asked for my email address and the phone's IMEI. I received a ticket number and an unlock date of April 16.
  • mike
    mike Posts: 489
    via Wordpress
    Options
    I got my unlocked earlier today it take 3 hours to get the request to be done from apple after that just restore your phone and will come the message" congratulation your phone unlocked" that it.
  • Simo
    Simo Posts: 6
    via Wordpress
    Options
    In Australia, Optus and Virgin will unlock your iPhone for FREE at ANY time. I called and got my 4 and 4S unlocked no questions asked. I only had my 4S for a week. Both were unlocked within 24 hours of request. They seem to take the approach that they got you in a 2 year contract to pay x$ per month, what do they care if you actually use their service or not. If you then use someone else's service they still get their money without having your "load" on their network.
  • Pug face
    Pug face Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    Options
    I just called AT&T and requested an unlock for my iPhone 4. I bought my phone on Craigslist a year ago so I have no idea about what the contract status was. The iPhone 4 has been out less then 2 years, so the whole two year thing makes no sense. But anyway The AT&T rep told me my phone was eligible and that AT&T doesn't actually do the unlock and that they need to send a request into apple and that I should hear back from apple soon.So we will see.
  • Pug face
    Pug face Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Oh and I should mention that the AT&T rep right off the bat was quick to say its not possible. I had to explain to him it's a new policy and then he went into his computer and found the new info. So you might have to let the rep know about it..